AK-47 vs Mossberg 500 intimidation

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Scratchammo, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

What would y'all think would be the better deterrent for trespassers?

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Shotgun makes for a better home protection weapon IMHO. As for intimidating? Most anything that goes bang would get my attention if I was a break in type of guy.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Neither if you pull it out your going to jail. So me I would say invest in a big dog preferably a GSD or other type of working dog.

4. NPD5946TSW

NPD5946TSW New Member

Cut your grass with a push mower wearing a banana hammock backwards. That might deter them. But, the Shepherd idea might be better. That and motion detection flood lights. Not sure if I would want to let my whole neighborhood of trespassers know I just bought a new gun for them to steal while I'm at work, ya know?

5. Remy308

Remy308 New Member

why would he go to jail for defending his home against an intruder?

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Simple tresspassing does not warrant brandishing a firearm Unless that is trespassing in the home. If they are out side call the cops.

Might not go to jail but it sure will bring a lot of unwanted attention to him in the neighborhood.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

brandishing a firearm to "deter" people is illegal in most states. firearms are pulled and used if life is in danger. presenting a fire arm to scare people is bad mojo.

if someone trying to take a life stops the action when you pull a weapon and do not fire that is one thing. pulling a gun cuz a jehovah's witnes wont leave your doorstep is another.

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Neither when pitted against these,

index.jpg

;)

9. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

If you can find the Mossberg Roadblocker model that ought to do it

10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I hope you don't talk like this in Texas

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Both are the same,but the AK-47 in my mind projects lawlessness in my opinion,as where a nice respectful yet intimidating Mossberg 500 shows the BG that you are the good guy that will kill you if you mess with his family!

12. Remy308

Remy308 New Member

I got you, I agree as well, if they are on your property, just call the cops, however if they are attempting to gain entry into your home, light them up. In Louisiana we have very loose laws concerning protecting your home/family from intruders. The laws are very much on our side. :D

13. pointblank4445

pointblank4445 New Member

Scratch, between your above question, and pretty much else having to do with your thread here:http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/new-colt-35745/

and i'm sure there's more, but I couldn't stomach any more of your posts......

I have some videos you need to watch. FYI, you're the dude on the right.

14. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I hope I didn't create an altercation. I figured I'd get everyone's general opinion between the two before explaining my reasons. My land is about 70 acres with a deer stand, the game warden hunts on it also & keeps me informed of people seen around the area. I wouldn't exactly be brandishing as the weapon would be slung on my back. I figured that would add some psychological discomfort to whomever I catch on the land. I realize an angry look might be enough for some but then again there's always room for improvement.

As far as dogs go, a German Shepherd is a a very reputable breed but also easily susceptible to many health problems. I haven't thought of a litter of angry Rottweilers :rolleyes:

The banana hammock might work just as well as a drunken clown or a registered sex offender sign but I think buck fever would eliminate the effectiveness of each of those proven deterrents. As far as y'alls opinions go I guess sticking with the Mossberg is preferred over the WASR-10. Thanks for the posts.

PointBlank, what exactly are you talking about? What video?

15. BudW

BudW New Member

Shot Gun wins

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

70 acres is different. If you are on the back 40 and out of range of sight of your home then I sure would have at lest a 1911 on my hip. Here in VA CC is legal on your private property. Open carry is ok just about anywhere. In reality I would have some form of an ATV or side by side UTV thing and on that would be a tactical shotty loaded to the hilt with some 00 or 000 buck shot. Plus my 1911 would be on my side.

As for dogs. There are a few good breeds. Yes German Shephard have Hip problems if you don't go to a good breeder. The dog I would go with for a home protection dog that will do what I tell it to no matter what would be the military new standard and 60 to 80# of eff the bad guys I will rip their arms off and beat the snot out of them Belgian Malinois.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  17. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Brandishing a firearm on your own property will not likely have you end up in handcuffs.

But the mindset of using a firearm for intimidation is flawed. Dont pull it unless you intend on using it.

18. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

It's good to know someone else has a taste in sidearms. I carry my 1911 like an asthma inhaler anyway but like I said, there's always room for improvement. I used to be stationed in Norfolk & yes I open carried as well as concealed after I got my ccw, sometimes a little bit of both depending on my coat & how hard the wind was blowing. My preferred buckshot is Federal Flitecontrol 00 or 000 because even with only a cylinder bore I can still drop a coyote at 50-70 yards. My Mossberg is an 18.5" cruiser with a Choate top folder. I ride a Honda Rancher, problem is it's loud. I'd like to quiet it down some so that they don't bug out before a proper warning is given.

19. jca1

jca1 New Member

I think signs at your land borders that read: Caution: this is a biological weapons testing area, proper protective gear required.:D

Most all criminals would be way too stupid to even think it's fake.:D

When anyone official asks about the signs, just say your wife put them up as a joke because of your farts.:D

20. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

You sir just might have something here.