Ak-47 buffer

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Pasquanel, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

At first thought a buffer sounds like a great idea! But then again an AK-47 is designed to function under adverse conditions very reliably.

So my question is this a worthwhile addition? I's certainly affordable but is it worth the effort? :confused:

2. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Is the buffer a small rubber disc that you put your return spring on? If so then yes, it reduces wear and tear a lot and lowers recoil. I'm looking to get one for my SKS.

3. Pasquanel

Essentially more than a disk but yes that is the general idea.

4. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Then yeah I'd invest in one. In the long run it'll pay off. It'll save your spring and bolt wear.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Go for it. You're not in Afghanistan. The AK's have higher gas pressures than necessary to cycle a clean action. A small buffer won't hurt it.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have one that has fired 1,000s of Milsurp rounds. The rifle has never had a problem. Most of these add on tricks are worthless. :)

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have heard many stories of cracked receivers from buffers in AK's,

8. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

Don't buy one, they can cause malfunctions and do nothing to help recoil or stop parts wear

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

perhaps so, but he won't know till he tries. You all remember we are talking perceived recoil, not the measured recoil, right?

10. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

I installed buffers in a couple of my AK's a while back when I first started into AK's, the buffers started causing problems immediately.

Jams galore on two separate rifles with buffers and they definitely had more recoil than before, buffers came out and never had a problem with either rifle again.

The only real reasons to buy a buffer for an AK are weak recoil springs where the carrier is impacting the receiver (springs are less than $20 btw) or an oversized gas port.

Not to mention your carrier extremely rarely (if ever) hits the receiver, if you watch high-speed videos of AK's in action you will see that the carrier stops short and is pushed forward before it can impact the receiver.
    With a buffer you're adding a piece that is going to be hit by the carrier and in turn is impacting the receiver, causing more unnecessary force to be exerted into your shoulder and more unnecessary force on your rifles overall integrity.

Just trying to save people some pocket change here by adding my own experiences.

11. Pasquanel

It never was about recoil for me except that its louder kind of feels like my 10-22.
    After thinking it over the AK's forte is its reliability and longevity the Kalashnikov's didn't feel the need for a buffer, who am I to question this :p
    This is clearly a case of its not broken don't fix it!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  12. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The AK doesn't need a recoil buffer. It was designed to operate the way it operates. If recoil is a major problem, there are 5.45MM and 5.56MM AK's for sale and apparently the Russians like them as I've not heard of any plans to resume use of the 7.62MM AK's.

Having a deformable and breakable plastic part in the action of a carbine that operates rather violently is not a particularly good idea. Buy a stock with a rubber butt pad or just buy a rubber butt pad. Like a street walking all-star, the AK will keep on bangin' long after a few rivets are popped loose and you'll have gone through enough ammo by that time to purchase several brand new ones.

13. dlhvac

dlhvac New Member

Have in an ak since it was new much quieter less metal on metal noise never had a problem about 20K rounds with same buffer

14. Pasquanel

One with or without a buffer?
    I have pretty moved on with this it works fine without and like I said previously there is no recoil to speak of!

15. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

My .02 i bought two blackjack buffer for mine and my pops AK. They claimed to be the thinnest and wont obstruct function, we put them on and jammed up 5-6 times between two 30 round mags. Before the buffers and over 3,000 rounds mine has never has a single malfunction. I took them off and they continued without flaw. Just my experience.