AK-47, 7.62x39 ammo

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by dropzone40, Jan 7, 2012.

1. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

Which is the best 7.62x39 ammunition for the AK-47? I know that the AK is an extremely reliable system regardless of ammunition and it is not picky, but I would like to know, (regardless of price), which brand of ammunition is known to be the best and why?

2. spack762

spack762 New Member

Ive had the best results with Wolf ammo. Made in russia. The worst ammo i put through my ak was winchester. Ak didnt like it one bit, no problems with it, just less accurate. I stick with russian made ammo, cheap and no problems.

3. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I have the same prob with the Winchester ammo. Accuracy noticeably inferior to most other brands.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

PRVI Partizan makes some pretty good ammo, but you

pay two to three times as much for it...

5. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

On cheaperthandirt.com they're selling 20 round boxes of Tulammo 7.62x39 for about $5 while most other brands sell their 20 round boxes of ammo for around $10-$15. Is there something about this cheaper ammunition regarding quality that sets it back from the other brands in order for it to be at such a low price or is it ok. When ever I see prices this low compared to the competitions' prices, I get suspicious.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most AK's seem to shoot best with the worst ammo. They were designed to work with any communist crap they could throw in them.

7. m72law

m72law New Member

i've read somewhere that most american brands of the 7.62x39 ammo uses a ..308 bullet as to most imported brands use .311.i have a box of winchesters,when i get around to digging them out,i'll mic'em & see if this is true?

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

AIMsurplus has it a little cheaper.. they also have some Russian military surplus ammo for around $3/box. They've got some nice deals on 1000rds of bulk also. I haven't found anyone cheaper than AIM.

9. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

You have to define "best".

The ammunition that functions best or shoots with the best accuracy in one 7.62x39 rifle may, or may not, be different for another 7.62x39 rifle. Buy a few brands of ammunition and find which is "best" for you.

I have some Wolf HP that measures .3085 and some Federal American Eagle that measures .3095.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have been buying TulAmmo for $4 a box and no complaints at all
    I'll be buying another case next week
    I find the accuracy to be quite good!

11. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

Pasquanel, what do you shoot your TulAmmo out of? Just wondering.

12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Its a WASR 10 and I have run about 600 rounds of the TulaAmmo with no issues whatsoever!

Attached Files:

13. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ That is one decked-out rifle! Nice!

My SKS likes the Wolf and Bear ammo, and my buddy's WASR10 seems to like the same.

I tried to talk to the SKS about that Bear thing, but it was a pretty one-sided conversation.

14. m72law

m72law New Member

^^^^damn thats beautiful!!!!:d

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much $$$ do you have in the package, beyond the cost of the rifle itself?

Thats one of the cooler WASR upgrades I've seen.

16. DauntlessMarksman

DauntlessMarksman New Member

My favorite for my WASR-10/63 is golden tiger. It's also Russian made like wolf but I feel it shoots more accurate. Cases also have a thin layer of lacquer than ensures the casings don't rust while in prolonged storage.

17. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

Type of ammo

I guess i'm the odd ball but i like the yugo m67 ammo. I do realize it's slightly corrosive, but doesn't have any effect on my AK. I find it to be very accurate and inexpensive. i do also like golden tiger but more $.

18. dropzone40

dropzone40 New Member

Pasquanel, thats one very intimidating package. Nice.

19. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

tulammo is wolf

and yeah you own a ak because it shoots it all.. :rolleyes: the cheaper the better:)

as for the winchester talk on the first page. i also have a problems with both sks and ak-47 with winchester ammo.

20. Creekside_Sports

Creekside_Sports New Member

With an AK system, its simple.
    Feed it whatever is on sale at the time, for the most part it won't care.