Airports and guns

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JiroZero713, Apr 30, 2011.

1. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Got into a fun conversation with an idiot on airport staff about checking in my new pistol as luggage.

Told me I needed a CCW permit.

Never have I seen the need for a permit for a declared pistol in a locked SAFE!

Anyway questions on traveling with guns. Going back to SC which is gun friendly thank god although they have a long drawn out CCW course but eh that's fine..

I just check in in as baggage as a declared firearm with a small handheld hard-sided gun case, get a few dirty looks from liberals and people who are scared of a gun without a trigger finger to make it work, get accosted by the ATF, and the finally on my merry way?

2. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Put your locked pistol case inside your suitcase, declared of course. No ammo in the pistol case, I would check the airlines website and print the page with their policies. Too many times the airline employees don,t know their companies policies. I would NOT check a handgun case as a separate bag!!!

3. JiroZero713

Yeah I have a big garment bag I'm checking as luggage so I'm putting it in there as I declare the luggage.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I would pack it in the middle of a lockable suitcase (TSA has keys to all of them). That at least keeps the baggage monkeys out of your luggage.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Just remember it must be declared, and the paperwork inside the case with it. Even if the airline says it does not matter.

I have traveled with guns for years and have seen every type of idiocy you can imagine.

Pmo nailed it. Print the airline regs, and call in advance. They usually have one counter dedicated to firearms check in. The other counters can't do it.

6. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I had one idiot try to put the Unloaded Firearm tag on the outside of my suitcase:eek:

7. freefall

freefall New Member

That's the way they used to do it. A big "Steal This Bag" tag. Geniuses.:cool:

8. JiroZero713

Heh. Ah well either way I made it safely. It was rather easy transition. Good thing I got a gun too. My new roommate is well....troubled in the sense they believe in the May 21st crap. I didn't know this until I was moving in.

Needless to say I'm probably going to try to find a shipmate with some space and move in with them.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

What May 21st crap?

10. Car54

Car54 New Member

Actually it was less likely to be stolen back then because all luggage with guns had to be hand delivered to the passenger upon landing. Now, most of the time it comes out with all the luggage on the carousel where anyone can grab the bag even by mistake.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just FWIW, when I have someone that begins to lecture me on fine points of the law, and it is apparent that they do know know a subpoena from a submarine, let them run on- when they pause for a breath, ask if they know it is against the law to practice law without a license? While they are standing there with their mouth open, walk away.

12. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member