airgun scopes

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by OLGEORGE, Dec 12, 2016.

1. OLGEORGE

OLGEORGE New Member

I've heard that airgun scopes in general are stronger than conventional optics because of the "double shuffle" caused by the spring action in spring-air guns, which requires support in both directions(front to rear). I've also heard airgun scopes are not suitable for use on cartridge guns. What is the truth on this?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have air guns so I have air gun scopes. I have used them on rim fire rifles but never on a center fire. I look at them as being in the rim fire class.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

What he said up there ^^^. You may run out of adjustment at range.

4. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I would think the price would tell you everything you need to know....

5. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

That is/was true in years past. The erector set, which is the tube in the tube of scope where the reticle resides and rides on springs and ball bearings is built stronger to counter the shock of a springer.

In years past centerfire scopes, due to people wanting to use a quality named scope on their springer rifles did have troubles at first, but have now been upgraded, more stronger in this area to better handle the odd vibrations a springer gives off.

What kind of scope you planning to use?

If you have any doubts, call the scope company and ask if their scope is springer rated and if the warranty will cover.

6. OLGEORGE

OLGEORGE New Member

What brought all this up is that I have a Bushnell airgun scope in a drawer and an air rifle with a Bushnell Sportview centerfire rifle scope on it. It was on when I bought the airgun. Maybe I need to put the airgun scope on the air rifle and put the Sportview away for furure reference. I know the Sportview is a low-end scope, but it has held up so far. I don't shoot the air rifle very much lately, anyway.