Air travel with firearms?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by allstarbud111, Jul 15, 2014.

1. allstarbud111

allstarbud111 New Member

Planning an Alaskan hunting trip with my old man. I've never tried to travel by air for a hunt. Wondering what the best and safest way to get our guns there. I'm sure we can't carry on. It's one thing if they lose our bags, but our guns are a whole different story! Any pointers?

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Look up the procedures for your Airline. If they are too restrictive I suggest finding out about shipping them both ways. I was told in no "form or fashion" by NCL due to maritime laws that I could not be allowed to take any sort of weapon on the Ship for our Alaska Cruise and land tour for our 10th Annv. In '16..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would offer the same suggestion as Dr. Football did, contact the airlines you plan on traveling with, as to what their regulations are in regards to firearms. sometimes these regulations can vary from one company to another.

and another suggestion, would be to insure them so if they are lost or damaged, you can get compensation for them.

you might even look into seeing if it would be better to rent or buy what you need in Alaska, vs. taking yours with you. maybe contact some of the guide services and see what they recommend.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You would save a ton by shipping them to yourself.

No offense and none taken

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

As a result we will Drive to the Ship's sail away port of Seattle as opposed to flying. We're going to take two weeks to go up in a rented RV that we will pay to "Securely" park, and get on the ship, and when we get back, drive home in the same RV, but a more Direct route. One month lease of RV,.much more affordable then buying one. Or one of my friends who owns one can take the cruise with us, but for us, we are looking at a 28 Ft. class B or C,..and drive through N. Az. To Ut. Mt., ID, and into Wa...and come back through Reno/Tahoe thru Vegas and home...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, hit the "Easy" button, and ship it. Save all that hassle, too. If you can afford an Alaska hunt, what's another couple hundred to ship some guns?

7. R1D2

R1D2 New Member

I had thought joe shoe sending guns in the mail was aginst the law...
    How do send them fed ex??

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You can send long guns, not pistols. Even then, it'd still probably be worth your while to pay 2 FFL's to transfer a pistol for you.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Travel w/ guns- Yeah, it's actually pretty easy. DO go to the TSA website, and to your airlines website.
    1. Make DAMNED sure gun is not loaded. Check it again.
    2. Ammo needs to be in an ammo box, not in a magazine. It can be the original carton the ammo came in, or one like that
    3. Gun is in a lockable, hard case.
    4. When you get to airport, go to ticket counter, smile, say "Good morning! I need to declare an unloaded firearm in my CHECKED baggage. (If you walk up and say "I have a gun"- that may not end well)

The airline will have you open the case, show unloaded, fill out small form (usually orange) that goes inside case. Lock case, hand to TSA guy, leave. When you get to destination, gun case MAY be on baggage carousel, but is usually in baggage office.

Shipping guns- Yes, it is perfectly legal for you to ship OR mail a rifle or shotgun to yourself. Handguns may not be MAILED except by a Dealer or Manufacturer (they can go UPS or FedEx Next day air). Since there is no transfer of ownership, it does not need to go to a FFL. If I were going hunting in Montana, wanted to send my rifle ahead, I would mail it to C3Me, in C/O Big Sky Lodge, East Williwaw, MT.

In general, the airlines may treat your gun a little better than US Mail or UPS/ FedEx. However, YMMV.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Plano makes a FAA approved (stamped in the case) gun case you can get at Walmart for around $40 and the cost of the padlocks you choose. I would order the Plano case online. Not all Walmarts carry a Plano FAA approved gun case.

Walmart/Plano has changed the wording in their product description: Designed to hold two rifles, one per side, the 1512 is airline-approved and tough enough to withstand the hardships of travel

Here is another change since I have last traveled by air with a firearm. You can get TSA approved locks at Walmart.

TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    https://www.atf.gov/content/firearm...-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-carrier

No offense and none taken

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

like ce said its easy. call ahead to be sure of your airlines policy, have good locked case emoty guns. declare them. fill out a form depending on airline. and they go in the belly of your plane. some airlines will charge fee for exrta luggage. might be cheaper to mail them. so i would just call and check.

13. allstarbud111

allstarbud111 New Member

Sounds good. Thought about mailing to myself, but I'd have to be there before sending in order to be 100% sure they're at the right place at the right time . Didn't think about using dealers to handle it on each end.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Most of the time you will have to pay for an extra bag. Call the airline to see what their checked bag fees are in advance. Some airlines only charge $25 for a checked bag if you pay the fee online but if you pay at the gate it is $100.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

This is one of the locks that TSA can open without cutting.
    lock TSA.jpg

The little hollow red diamond logo is the mark for TSA compliant locks.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It will cost no extra money (if you check in bags anyway), and very little extra time to legally transport a firearm. Airport procedures may differ slightly, but regardless, a firearm, declared and locked up in a secure container, can fly in the checked-in luggage).

You don't even have to show it to the airline employes. Just declare, and they will tell you where to go next. It stands to reason to believe the airline will hate to lose YOUR luggage. A little extra perk.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have flown all over the USA to include Alaska and Hawaii and ALWAYS checked a hand gun in my checked baggage. I have taken several hunting trips where I checked long guns as well. It is no big deal. :confused: