Air rifles instead of 22lr

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hq357, Sep 2, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Hello everyone. :) recently i was at a Walmart and saw these air rifles made by gamo, they shoot pellets and are powered by air. one is a .177 caliber pellet, and it shoots at about 1,200 feet per second. the other one was a 22 caliber pellet but it fires at 900 fps. im buying one since 22 lr is hard to find in my area. but im not sure which one i should buy Does anyone here know about air rifles? Should i get a .177 caliber or the 22? Wich is best for rabbit hunting at 50 yards or more? The .177 is lighter and faster the .22 is heavier and slower.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The velocities stated tend to be based on a specific (expensive) pellet.
    For hunting the .22 is much better.
    Walmart tends to be very over priced on these items. I sold many of them for half the price. Ordering directly from the company is a much better way to go usually.
    You may want to do some more research into your options. Benjamin would be a company to look into and a used gun may be the best way to go.
    They make air rifles that are much bigger in both caliber and power.
    If you get into a serious setup you can go deer hunting with an air rifle.

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The 1200 FPS is only gained with platinum pellets. If was me I'd go with the .22, For the best price go to Amazon.

I'd rather have a Benjamin also.

4. longunner

longunner New Member

I have a ruger pellet gun that I bought from Walmart. I took a few squirrels with it but it wasn't very accurate after about 30 yards. I would say get a 22 instead if you're planning on hunting with it.

5. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I enjoy mine . In three weeks, this spring I killed 10 rabbits, 8 with the .177 ca; and 2 with the .22 cal. All one shot kills.
    Longest kill was 49 yds. The .22 is a much more humane kill than the .177.
    The .177 cal 7.3 gr lead pellets chrony at around 985 FPS.(not 1200)
    The .22 cal 14.5 gr lead pellets chrony around 1000 FPS, out of the bottom rifle ,which is rated at 1200 fps ,its a magnum.

The top Rifle is a Hatsan Model 86 Sniper 177 cal.
    The Pistol is a Ruger Mark1 .177 cal.
    The BottomRifle is a Ruger Magnum .22 cal.

The rifles will shoot 3/4" groups at 30 yds and 1 1/2 groups at 50 yrds.
    The pistol (after extensive trigger work) will shoot 1 " groups at 15 yrds.

Both Rifles will shoot thru 1 " boards at 20 yrds.
    There are dozens of different weights and types of pellets and every gun has ONE that it likes best, you got to find that ONE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheap shooting

http://www.pyramydair.com/

Jim

6. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Having hunted and killed rabbits, squirrels and coons with both (and the occasional possum/dog spreading trash all over the yard) .22 is better if you can get one in the 1000fps or above range. 900 will do the job too but depending on distance and brush you may not get enough penetration on the "larger" (by comparison to a squirrel) animals. Either is better than .177, but the .177 will do the job with the right pellets and shot placement.

7. phideaux

I shoot many different pellet types and weights ,and some of the heavier .22 cal pellets, 18.5 gr, 21 gr 26 gr and even 31 gr . Most of those pellets chrony from 800 fps to 670 fps, out of a Magnum Rifle rated at 1200 fps .22 cal (not a standard rifle rated at 900 fps).

Believe me , they will stop a rabbit instantly, at 50 yards, whereas a .177 cal pellet at 7.3 gr will not , it will kill him, but it takes 5 minutes of flopping around,
    Using a 10.5 gr .177 cal pellet is better, but still not as humane as .22 cal.

Wa;mart is usually higher priced on these guns, I like Pyramid Air or Airgun Depot.

Jim

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you can afford it this is the pinnacle of air rifles.
    Mould your own bullets and take down just about whatever you want.
    I highly recommend an air tank setup and a pump backup.

9. hq357

hq357 New Member

Very cool the most ill spend on an air rifle is about 200$ any recommendations? I have an old tv i want too shoot just to but i cant plink with 22 lr so ill use an air rifle to test out the damage. which would be more capable of breaking the tvs thick glass? .177 or the 22? I want the animal to go down quickly and as humane as possible i hate to see things suffer.

10. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I'm also curious about your air rifle recommendations. I used to have a cheap Remington and I want accuracy!

11. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

Accuracy, pellet energy and type are the limiting factors in hunting with air guns. I shoot spring powered Beeman R-1 17 Cal Made jn Germany, a Beeman GS 1000 22 Cal made in Span . They will take cottontail rabbits out to about 35 yards but the pellet at longer ranges drop quit fast. I also use Benjiman Mdl 312 22 Cal, Benjiman 342 22 Cal, Sheridan Rocker Safey Blue Streak 20 Cal, four 17 Cal Blue Streak models made by Sheridan. I also limit my shots within 35 yards with the pump up air rifles. Dont expect to find 50 Yd hunting pellet rifle at Wal Mart. Go to www.PyramydAir.com and you can see the 50 yard plus hunting air rifles.

12. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I don't expect awesome accuracy from it, just enough for backyard plinking and my budget is $200

13. phideaux

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IME, somewhere north of 800FPS the pressure on .177

pellet causes the path of the round to distort in a sort of

lateral warp. Shoot it at @ 750 FPS, and without fail,

you can take game regularly.

15. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Id go with the .22 ive got a few pellet rifles and if a squirl is in the tree id go with the .22 dont worry so much about that round hitting leaves and deflecting off course. Altho the .177 c02 rifle i have will put a clean head shot at 35 yds.

16. hq357

hq357 New Member

Wich is best for breaking an old thick glass tv screen? Will a .177 just crack it and bounce off?

17. phideaux

Depends on distance and pellet weight.

I dont know how thick that glass is, Im guessing 1/4" or less,
    Either one should not have a problem going thru at 25 yrds, using heavy pellets.

JMHO

Jim

18. hq357

hq357 New Member

Im trying to get an idea of how powerful these air guns are. if guns were to be banned would an air rifle suitable for self defense? .177 or 22cal wich will most likely stop an attacker?

19. kaido

kaido New Member

If you're wanting to stop someone coming after you by using an air gun, you need a big bore on. By that I mean one that's .50 or around that.

As far as the .177 and .22, of you're planning on hunting with it, go with the .22. It'll be more the capable of putting a hurt on the TV and small game.