Air Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jcd390, Nov 12, 2013.

1. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Okay so I have begun the search for an air rifle and I am completely overwhelmed with all the options. Here is what I am looking: something to shoot in my backyard, train my boys on, under $300, durable, and reliable. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I have been thinking and looking at the GAMO Whisper Fusion Air Rifle so I can shoot in the basement and for the grandchildren who are under 6 YOA. From what I have researched for the money I believe I will select one of those!

3. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

Ive got the Gamo Silent Cat and shoot it in my southern California back yard every weekend. I got a small home range at around 30 yards that works fine. The rifle was a little over $200 on sale and its fun and pretty accurate.

image-1658337722.jpg

image-70462634.jpg

image-2116655722.jpg

image-2515472413.jpg

All at 25 yards :)

4. hareebrownbeest

image-2745603269.jpg

Comes with a decent scope IMO. ready to shoot

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Are you looking for a bb and pellet rifle or just a full blown one pump pellet rifle. I won't lie I spent most my free time up till my freshman year shooting either the old mossberg 22lr or the old daisy bb/ pellet rifle in the back yard. Used bb's for plinking cans and what not and pellets for hunting also got a good workout from all the pumping between shots.

Right now I have a Crossman Storm XT, single pump pellet rifle in .177 cal easy to use easy to shoot knocks the snot out of squrriels, rabbits, and rats not to mention anything else. I like my rifle it was only $120 if ai remember right and I've had it for a good long while now no problems.

It's a good rifle but if you can get a better rifle for the money I would, this was a rifle I could afford at the time and it's just a basic pellet rifle.

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I picked up a cheap ($80) Crossman Phantom at Walmart. I was surprised at the power and accuracy. I had a rabbit, squirrel and chipmunk problem, Problem solved. Garden safe. The grandkids have become rather proficient at 50 cents per rabbit. There are many better air rifles i'm sure, but for the money it's a good buy, 1200 fps with HV pellets. capable of 1 inch groups at 25 yards. I've shot over 1500 pellets without any problems and don't foresee any. It was definitely worth the price.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You can get a decent spring piston air rifle for under $200. The newer nitrogen charged pistons are supposed to be an upgrade but I have not shot one yet. The full pneumatic air rifles are expensive and very powerful with much larger calibers available. They are true hunting rifles. The air rifle is often overlooked as a survival tool. They can easily take small game such as squirrel and rabbit very quietly and you would not even notice 500 pellets in a pocket.

8. hareebrownbeest

Ive seen videos of 75 caliber "pellet guns" shooting through cinder blocks. Theres even a guy claiming he took down a wild hog with a Gamo pellet rifle, 1 shot to the head;) i guess its possible with the .22 caliber pellet rifles.

9. hareebrownbeest

image-2014846395.jpg

image-70484304.jpg

My Gamo was capable of this at 25 yards. Im happy with it:)

10. longunner

longunner New Member

I've seen videos of that...not sure if it was 75 caliber, but it was definitely way bigger than a .177

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Crosman/Benjamin .357 CALIBER, MULTI-SHOT, COMPRESSED AIR, ULTRA-QUIET, HUNTING RIFLE

Photo of dead hog, hunter, & rifle:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/rkmitchell/rogue_hog.jpg

Attached Files:

12. hareebrownbeest

.357, thats the one. Thanks. 75 caliber??? What was i smoking?

13. mwardo23

mwardo23 New Member

I too have been searching for air rifle. Can anyone tell me how many fps is necessary to kill a squirrel or rabbit?

14. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

Both of the Rifles were under $200.
    Top one is a Hatsan 86 Sniper .177 cal.
    Bottom one is Ruger Air Magnum .22 Cal

Both will shoot 1" groups ,consistently, once you find the pellet it likes.

Either one will kill Rabbits or Squirrel ,once you finf the best pellet for the gun.
    Both will shoot 850-1200 fps, depending on weight and config of pellet.
    I killed 10 rabbits in 3 weeks early this Spring, each one, was one shot, one kill. Two of them were at 49 yrds, most were 25-35 yrds.
    The .22 cal is quicker ,more humane

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, the pistol is a Ruger Mark1, with a lot of trigger work, will also kill rabbits at 35 yrds at 600fps. Groups 1" at 15 yards.

Jim

15. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

I would like to say ,that , pellet technology has developed some truly amazing ballistics improvements in the last few years.
    Therefore pellets will determine your accuracy and kill ability as much or more than the gun itself.
    That being said, a quality gun is essential to start with.
    (No secret ,I like the Hatsan, Turkish made break barrel air rifles, using German made barrels)
    BTW, any scope ,other than one designed for air rifles, will not survive the 2 way recoil. Both of mine use the Centerpoint scopes, made for air guns.

Not much different than a normal rifle, IE..best rifle made ,with garbage ammo usually dont give you tight groups,

Weight of pellet being more of an influence ,IMO, than configuration.

Generally the heavier (10,5gr vs 4.5 gr .177 cal) the pellet, the better accuracy, and lower fps.
    Yes.... fps, supersonic or above usually , negatively affects accuracy.

Just trying to help , not an expert by any means,
    all the info above ,comes from my own experience.

Jim

16. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I've killed many many squirrels and rabbits with a daisy bb gun that advertises up to 400 fps. , certainly not ideal by any means, but you asked. You can buy a 1200 fps air rifle for less than $100. that is very adequate. I for one hate the sound of a screaming rabbit!

17. mwardo23

mwardo23 New Member

Thanks for the info. I was just curious. I've been shopping around trying to find a decent pellet rifle in my price range that will take down small game. Looks like I have a lot more options then I initially thought.

18. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Charlie de Tuna's site has a lot of information about pellet rifles.

I bought a Benjamin nitro 22 cal breakdown pellet rifle. After a couple thousand rounds the Benjamin literally fell apart. I got it through Walmart site to store. I took the Benjamin back to Walmart for a refund. It seems like Benjamin could put locktite on the screws of a $260 pellet gun.

I have a Crosman 177 cal phantom that shoots great with Benjamin Premier pellets. It has shot great for years.

20. hareebrownbeest

image-3584956685.jpg
    My Gamo likes the Beeman the best out of this bunch. The pellet really makes the difference.