air gauged barrels

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AznZOhAn, Dec 21, 2011.

1. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

What are the advantages of air gauged stainless steel barrels, please excuse my ignorance on the subject. The only thing I've noticed about it is that it's lighter weight and harder than regular barrels. The reason I ask is I am looking to getting 20" barrel for a build, and I am debating between a cold hammer forge or air gauged stainless steel barrel. Thanks for any info.

2. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

I'm not completely ignorant, just want my first to be done right. I know I want a heavy barrel. I recently saw a Sig M400 Hunter with a 20" and it was lite weight.

3. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

My understanding of it is that the stainless barrels are typically a little more accurate.

-Fred

4. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Air gauging is simply an inspection method to accurately check the diameter of the barrel bore and to show whether the bore is a constant size and a round diameter over the full length of the bore.

Lower cost barrels are batch tested, for example take ten barrels, test one, pass the whole lot. Higher cost barrels are often individually tested.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  5. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

What about Wilson arms

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Yes as affordable barrels go wilson arms has a better than average barrel. Seen a few RRA rifles shooting 100 yards groups in the .300 range and not a pet load. These were both 24" barrels to squeeze out a few more FPS. Both guys shoot 600 yards match's. If money can be spent a douglas or kreiger is a step up but is it worth it ??

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Azn,

Jeeper is right on the money regarding the air gauge question. When a barrel is Air Gauged they run a wand down through the bore of the rifle that has a tip that has air ports in it. There is usually a mercury or electronic testing unit that is dispenses the air into the bore and is readable to the operator. They set the specifications of which the bore of the barrel can vary from a + or - tolerance. As the wand is passed down the entire length of the barrel inside the bore they take readings as it passes. If the reading on the measuring instrument goes above the high tolerance level or of course below the minimum in any area as it passes. The rifle barrel is not accepted. Most of the time companies then recycle the metal through the foundry to be melted down and new barrels to be made from. Rock River uses some of the top quality barrels in the industry made by Wilson Barrel Company on the East Coast. Not to be associated with Wilson Combat! Not relationship!
    When people are talking about most barrels in the industry they are not Air Gauged at all. Meaning the the bore could vary to the point to effect accuracy due to being more open in one area and possibly too tight in other areas. I have had 2 Rock River A-4 Varmint Models in 20" barrel that when I was having a good day with good ammunition could shoot 1/4 MOA Groups at 100 Yards. I still have one of them since a guy needed to other one more than I did! So if you want more precision accuracy from your rifle I would highly recommend buying a Air Guaged Barrel or complete upper. Hope this makes sense!

8. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Makes perfect sense, thanks. I have a RRA entry tactical 16" heavy barrel, and it shoot awesome. I am currently in the process of starting an AR build, and I want to start with the barrel first. I've seen other barrels that cost a lot, and I want to keep with a budget less than $1,000.00. The research I did thus far has pointed me towards a 20" premium air gauged barrel. Do you know if the Wilson Arms barrel is chrome lined or not? The main reason I'm doing a build is because I don't to buy a rifle with crap I don't want, and from my research it seems more practical to build.