Air Force cutting 5 A-10 Squadrons

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That's called putting all your eggs in one basket. Then again I wouldn't want an A-10 flying over my place.

3. unclebear

unclebear New Member

that's bull, I know the A10 an old warbird but it's pretty much the best at what she does (my opinion), she's a little slow but that's just better for dropping munition close in, plus that 30MM cannon in the nose kicks the hell out of tanks, and well pretty much anything else it needs too. I mean can teh F-35 Lightning II really match up? I don't know I might just be crazy but the warthog is one of my favorites, I think this would be a big mistake.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Seems like a huge step backwards. The A-10 is one of the most feared planes by ground troops and tankers.

5. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

I used to think this administration had its collective head such up its pop chute. Now i'm worried that they are intentionally hollowing out our ability to protect our boys. That single engine plastic plane, F35, won't take the hits like the hog can. Stealth won't do crap when you are low and slow over friendlies. I don't give a rats hind-quarter about the VTOL version being for close air support. This is madness.

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

It's a great old plane and it does it's job well but it is pushing 40 years old and combat airframes don't last forever. At some point the maintenance simply becomes to expensive for the return.

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Cost is cheap from article and from mechanics I know. However, it is the lobbyist and the money that want a change.

I fellow A-10 mechanic during the 1st Gulf War had a A-10 shot up real bad and missing a section of the wing and tail section's. The bird landed and the pilot wanted to return to the fight. This bird came in on 1 engine!

Here is a link battle damage A-10 over Baghdad April 7, no year given! This is from the OIF.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0016_A-10-battle-damage/story0016.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Parts are getting difficult to find. You can't order some of them, they have to be canned to be had making it difficult to keep operational.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It may be the best single purpose built plane the Air Force ever fielded.

What's the old joke: A-10 flight simulator training... they put you in a metal trash can, close the lid, and throw rocks at you.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

They just spent a large pile of $$ upgrading the avionics on the A-10. Brilliant. Big $$ have been spent on trying to get new wing assemblies made. I haven't been keeping to close of an eye on it.
    I seem to recall that the USAF was making the same noises in the late 80s/early 90s. Talking about adapting the F-16 to the same job. I seem to recall that things didn't work out that way.

As for "canning" parts. It's what we call "Recreational Maintenance." Ever since the USAF went to a smarter :rolleyes:, supply system (fewer parts on hand, got to order from somewhere else), cannibalization has become normal ops, for a number of reasons (some better than others).

11. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'm part of the Maryland ANG, we are likely losing some A-10's but not our whole squadron, we are losing our C-27's if Obama signs the budget that Panera requested but that is another thread. A big part of the reason from my understanding is the lack of parts. We literally can't replace certain things, the companies that make them went out of business years or decades ago. I'm sure that if someone was smart they could recreate those parts for about 1% the cost of an F-35 but what we are being told is that parts are not possible to obtain.

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

All I know is that I would sure like to buy a decommissoned one if they ever become availabel to civilians. They have to be a hoot to fly.