Aimpoints straight talk.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by broke-again124, May 22, 2012.

1. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Okay, I'm goin to buy an Aimpoint or an ACOG by Trijicon sometime in the next month and need some questions answered. Assuming money's no object what are the advantages of the CompM4 over the Aimpoint T1 or H1? Which would you buy for your SHTF rifle and why? Or the ACOG? What are the real advantages of each? I don't understand how there could be a difference other than weight with the Aimpoints. Could someone enlighten me please?

2. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

They are different and therefore each has advantages over the other. The ACOG is a 4x magnified optic. The Aimpoint is a red dot sight. With the ACOG you will able to acquire targets at a longer range. The Aimpoint will get you on target faster but can make it more difficult to hit targets at long range depending on your eyesight.

The comp m4 is physically larger but has a 2 moa dot. The Micro H1 and T1 have 4 moa dots. Aimpoint had the H2 at shot show, it has a 2 moa dot. The ACOG has several different etched reticles available. The one I have seen the most is the chevron ^ .

Aimpoints have a battery life that is ridiculously long. You can leave them turned on for a year or more so it's always ready to employ. Which is great when things go bump in the night.

The ACOG is illuminated by ambient light via fiber optic light tube on top of the optic. No batteries required No batteries to fail or replace. ACOG does now offer a battery powered illuminated reticle, but I'm not sure if the battery life is on par with Aimpoint.

If this is a home defense weapon, get the aimpoint. It's not easy to acquire targets at close range with a magnified optic and light conditions may not always favor the ACOG

Determine what you are going to use it for and go from there.

You are about to drop a nice chunk of cash on an optic. I would recommend you try before you buy if that is possible for you.

EDUB

Last edited: May 22, 2012

3. drew661

drew661 New Member

If you are thinking long term SHTF optic the CM4 uses a AA battery. So you would be able to charge or scavenge batteries easier. The one disadvantage I found to it was the size. When I installed a magnifier I no longer had room for a BUIS and needed to purchase a low profile one.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I chose the acog over aimpoint. Aimpoints are tough which can be subjective. I called in an expert i trust who was a commander of troops for two tours in iraq. His opinion which is valid only to me was he saw more breakage of aimpoints and eotechs than acogs. Since those items got reported to him when his troops broke things i take his word for it.

Advantages to me is the acog uses no batteries and the reticle adjusts automatically to ambient light or lack of it. Aimpoints have to be manually adjusted.

Aimpoints can be left on at lower settings for years but having to fiddle with the rheostat in some light conditions is a negative to me.

Lack of good magnification is a huge minus to me if you do go rds size of the dot has issues. Too small difficult to pick up fast. Too big covers the target at longer ranges making long shots iffy at best.

Acog negatives weight, they weigh a little more but springing for a good mount reduces that. It takes some training to use effectively in a cqb situation. However if the target is really close you dont need sights much anyway. 4x optics on the acog will get you out to 800yds with its functional easy to use rangefinder and bdc in some models.

Mine is the ta31f-g with green chevron and dual illumination. I skipped on the rco cuz they only came in red.

Most people see rds dots as oblongs or blurry due to astigmatism. If you dont have perfect vision aimpoints can be really difficult to get accurate hits at longer ranges.

Even if the tritium poofs on my acog it still works in most lighting conditions. When 2022 roles around im going to have the tritium in mine redone

Since none of these options are cheap i would strongly recomend making an effort to see what your buying in person.

I can tell you my beliefs and experiences with optics but the things i prefer and think are valuable in a gunsight are likely not to match yours

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

While I like the Acogs, the price really kicks up the pucker factor.

6. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

The ACOG uses tritium for low or no light situations. During the day, the brighter the ambient light, the brighter the reticle, as it is fed by fiber optic.

There would be no scenario I can imagine where the Aimpoint would outperform the ACOG due to "light conditions".

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Except maybe 7+ years from now.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Trituim is a finite resource, but the fiber optic portion is indefinite.

Non magnified red dots are faster. Magnified is better at range. Bothe are great optics but you jeed to decide for yourself when one u need.

9. broke-again124

I won't be shooting past 300-350m. Does that help? I'm looking at the PRO by Aimpoint now. For the price it looks hard to beat. I don't see what would warrant an extra $400 almost for a compM4. Do you guys? Any input?

10. frostyone

frostyone New Member

The aimpoint T-1/H-1 do come in 2 moa. I have one and love it. Very fast at close range but I have still been able to hit targets at 300 yards. It's extremely light weight with the mount. With it on a middle brightness setting the battery will last 5+ years being on 24/7. I do most of my shooting under 100 yards which is why I chose no magnification.

11. broke-again124

The micros have such a small viewing window though? Once again why not a PRO?

12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

True, but (IMO) it's not really fair to do an initial comparison based on something so far down the road. I assume at some point, the Aimpoint too will stop working...after all, they aren't magic. Something has to be generating that lil red dot. Not to mention, the Trij can be recharged.

Either way, as you said, they are two VERY different optics, the choice between the two coming down to shooter requirements.

Personally, I would go with an Eotech instead of Aimpoint because they are considerably less expensive. That said, Aimpoint is probably the better unit.

That's strictly my opinion, however.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its 15 years.

14. frostyone

frostyone New Member

When shooting up close I don't even notice. You just see the dot and the target. The micro is so small that it doesn't really block much of your view. I have no experience with any other aimpoint so I can't really give a comparison to any other.
    I can only comment that it works perfectly for me.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

For my SHTF gun which is a SBR I have a cheap ATN ultrasight I got from my dad , he has beat it around for 5 yrs or better and passed it on to me and it stays zeroed , no issues , not much that can go wrong with it unless you break the glass , I have a PA micro also but I like the ATN better , you wont be able to pick up a target quicker than with the ATN , there is literally nothing around it that is in the way of blocking view and the glass is big compared to the microdot , its not pretty , its not a high end or high dollar unit , I have left it on for weeks and its still not dead . multiple reticles to choose from and great even in bright light . Im going with one of these ugly *** things on my next build also . Im game for higher end scopes but for cheap non magnified red dots its a perfect fit.
    Now mine is a older one so I dont know how the new ones are but for $100 its pretty hard to beat

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

That's what I was thinkin', but didn't feel like diggin' out the manual. :)

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The official halflife is 13 years I believe but after 5-7 year you can see tritium dimming. In 13 years it will be half as bright as a new unit. I am basing this off my handgun nightsights as I usully find myself replacing them every 5-7 years because they get too dim. If the acog lasts longer please correct me.

Lightest weight solution get the aimpoint h1 or t1. Your choice of 2 moa or 4 moa dots. Window dosnt really make too much of a difference as you shoot them with both eyes open. The light mount is the LaRue absolute cowitness or DD lower 1/3 mount.

The PRO is a great unit but like the M4 and M3 they are big and heavy.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats pretty correct. it all depends on when the tritium was made. trijicon lists 15 as thats the average tritium lasts until its no longer visible in a useable way.

i plan on changing my lamp when it hits 12-13ish. even so the fiber optic still works damn well. in very bright light that damn reticle is highly visible

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

The manual claims a "useful" life of 20 years. The warranty itself is 15 years.

I think your assessment of the half-life is about right.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Can the tritium be replaced? Anyone know how much?