aimpoint red dot help..what model to buy?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by crm99, Feb 9, 2014.

1. crm99

crm99 New Member

Finally got the money together for a aimpoint to put on my dd m4..got Troy flips down iron on it now...shooting 100 yards on in...good up to 500 ish for the scope..want a aimpoint but need a push towards the best model..just can't make up my mind..Also don't need a Co witness so what's my best option for the mounting....thanks in advance for any suggestions...cory

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

The most popular models are the H1/T1 and the PRO.
    The difference between the H1 and the T1 are just the Night Vision compatibility.

I have the T1 and use the full co-witness with American Defense Mount.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/American-Defense-Aimpoint-T1-Mount-1-Piece-p/ad-t1-10.htm
    There are many mounts out there, it all depends whether you want full or 1/3 co-witness.

Check out G&R Tactical for Aimpoint Bundle deals.
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=APOI

For Pro, it is a very good red dot and it also has the Night Vision compatibility feature. Comes with quick detach mount too.
    PSA usually has it on sale for less than $400. Indeed, last week it was for $360 after coupon code "PRO".

Anyway you can't go wrong with any Aimpoint models.

3. crm99

crm99 New Member

Thanks for the info..is there a major difference between the h1/t1 versus the pro..kinda like the look of the pro...use to shooting my shotgun with a Bushnell reddot on it..so not to sure if I would want 1/3 or full cowitness..what does the majority like...thanks again..

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

The major differences are the sizes, weights and prices.
    There are H1/T1 clones out there like the Vortex Sparc or the Bushnell TRS-25 which i also own both of them. They are great for the price specially the Sparc.
    While the clone for the PRO is the Vortex StrikeFire.
    FYI, Vortex is releasing the 2nd generations both Sparc and StrikeFire soon. The specs and images are on the Vortex website.
    If i were to choose between them, from the most desirable to the least will be.. T1, PRO, Sparc and TRS-25.

5. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

I second what he said ^.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

A co witness really should be mandatory.

Go for a T1 H1 is you want something lightweight. It doesn't come with an AR ready mount so factory that into your budget. I like ADM mounts, adn the Knight's Armament mounts. The Fortis mount looks good and lightweight. The lightest mount I've handled is the Daniel Defense but its not a QD mount if that matters to you.

Go for the PRO if you want the cheapest, but high quality option. It comes with a mount so you don't have to worry about buying one.

Go for the M4 if you want to use AA batteries. It also comes with a mount, but costs a bit more than the PRO.

I'd recommend 2 MOA dot over 4, but that's just my personal preference.

7. 1911love

1911love New Member

Why do you feel cowitness should be mandatory? Also, which is better, the T1/H1 or the M4? The T1/H1 just looks smaller.

8. crm99

crm99 New Member

Is there a major quality difference between the t1 and the pro or it just the weight...thanks cory