Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..I have a DD and I just bought their ez car rail and installed it...no this week after I get my paycheck I will be ordering an optic. It will be a truck/self defense/shtf rifle...which one should I go with? After I buy that I'm starting a new build
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
My vote is for the EOtech. I started with a RDS similar to the Aimpoint. IMHO the EOtech is easier to acquire with both eyes open the circle around the 1 MOA dot give a better perception of the target range and size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
To play devil's advocate, the durability and battery life of an Aimpoint is bare none the best.

I'd honestly take the time to handle both, my eyes do not like the eotech reticle. I'm astigmatic and have had lasik. I love the Eotech reticle but it doesn't work for my eyes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AgentTikki said:
To play devil's advocate, the durability and battery life of an Aimpoint is bare none the best.

I'd honestly take the time to handle both, my eyes do not like the eotech reticle. I'm astigmatic and have had lasik. I love the Eotech reticle but it doesn't work for my eyes.
I have an astigmatism also and do wear bifocals, had to get them for night driving. I'm looking at lasik when I'm out of basic and ait and with a unit

I'll have to find the eotech and aimpoint and try them out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
I've been considering the aimpoint pro and the eotech xps. Plenty to speak of on both counts. For me the PRO has it but it's pricing that is really tipping the scale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drvsafe said:
I've been considering the aimpoint pro and the eotech xps. Plenty to speak of on both counts. For me the PRO has it but it's pricing that is really tipping the scale.
The same situation for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
I have an astigmatism also and do wear bifocals, had to get them for night driving. I'm looking at lasik when I'm out of basic and ait and with a unit

I'll have to find the eotech and aimpoint and try them out
I've found that with my eyes, the "pixelation" of the eotech reticle is super annoying. But my lasik was done over 10 years ago, so I know for a fact that modern methods have reduced the flaring that I experience. My eyes also don't like the Leupold Deltapoint RDS. I believe that any RDS that has an automatic brightness setting and doesn't easily allow for manual adjustments just don't personally work for me.

I would highly recommend you get both sights in your hand and look through them. It might just make your decision easier, like it does for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
AgentTikki said:
I've found that with my eyes, the "pixelation" of the eotech reticle is super annoying. But my lasik was done over 10 years ago, so I know for a fact that modern methods have reduced the flaring that I experience. My eyes also don't like the Leupold Deltapoint RDS. I believe that any RDS that has an automatic brightness setting and doesn't easily allow for manual adjustments just don't personally work for me.

I would highly recommend you get both sights in your hand and look through them. It might just make your decision easier, like it does for me.
That LASIK scares the boots off me. I'm astigmatic as well so it may be a moot point.

I agree hands on is the best. My problem is I live no where near any place that's got them both in stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
Wi_Hunter556 said:
The same situation for me.
I also like the 3 year battery life. Set it and forget it (well...for 3 years at least).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,653 Posts
For goodnes sake don't fear the Lasik!:)

My son had it done 10 years ago. It was a simple, painless, procedure, over with in less than 30 minutes, and now he has 20/20 left and 20/15 right.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
Any big gun show will have both


And yes don't fear lasik, bst I've ever done....even with the flare. The hardest thing about it was waking up every morning for a month looking for my glasses then openin my eyes and realizing I didn't need them anymore. Also depth perception gets a little wonky because you don't have glasses on anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AgentTikki said:
Any big gun show will have both

And yes don't fear lasik, bst I've ever done....even with the flare. The hardest thing about it was waking up every morning for a month looking for my glasses then openin my eyes and realizing I didn't need them anymore. Also depth perception gets a little wonky because you don't have glasses on anymore.
Well the only thing I'm afraid of is when I get my bcg's in basic and not having bifocals...I've had them for 4 years already since the end of 8th grade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
locutus said:
For goodnes sake don't fear the Lasik!:)

My son had it done 10 years ago. It was a simple, painless, procedure, over with in less than 30 minutes, and now he has 20/20 left and 20/15 right.:p
I had mine done a little over a year ago and I have 20/15 in both eyes. And my procedure only took less than 5 min. Crazy how much the technology has advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FearTheFree7 said:
I had mine done a little over a year ago and I have 20/15 in both eyes. And my procedure only took less than 5 min. Crazy how much the technology has advance.
What kind of vision did you have without glasses before lasik?

And what kind and how long is the recovery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Wi_Hunter556 said:
What kind of vision did you have without glasses before lasik?

And what kind and how long is the recovery?
I was nearsighted before LASIK. I couldn't see the tv 5 feet away it was that bad. The machine they used is one of the more advance ones now it's called the allegretto wave. I was able to see right after it was done. I didn't feel a thing while it was being done but afterwards it just feels like you have a scratch on your eye. Not painful just more like an irritant. That went away after a day or two and you just have to put eye drops in all the time to keep your eyes moist so they heal properly. The only thing I couldn't do was swimming for a few months but beside that I lived a normal day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,545 Posts
Well I fear LASIK. My philosophy is never have cosmetic surgery on a pristine cornea that's just too precious - so why take a chance when it's normally better to correct vision with glasses. And if something goes wrong most insurances will tell you to go spit since you chose to have elective and cosmetic surgery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I have the 512 and the Aimpoint T1. I would choose the Aimpoint over and over. BUT, it's not the pro. Close quarters, eotech every time. But as far as flexibility goes, my Aimpoint 2moa takes the cake. So it comes down to what you are gonna do with it. With the PRO you also get night vision capability, so keep that in mind.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,653 Posts
Well I fear LASIK. My philosophy is never have cosmetic surgery on a pristine cornea that's just too precious - so why take a chance when it's normally better to correct vision with glasses. And if something goes wrong most insurances will tell you to go spit since you chose to have elective and cosmetic surgery.

Quent,

Lasik is elective, but definitely not cosmetic. You end up with better vision, and no worry about losing/breaking etc your glasses.

Hernia repair is elective as well. you can wear a truss. But I chose not to, and I've never regretted it.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
I know this is an optic thread, but I have to add:

I am astigmatic, I know it doesn't fix the astigmatism but will it correct for it? Also, I feel like I have worn glasses for so long they're a part of me. Me kids even tell me that I look better with my glasses :eek: .
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top