ah johnny come lately to the boston tea party...

Discussion in 'History' started by Nmwabbit, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

well...as the civil disruptions erupt in cities across our country, it is actually surprising newspeek/social media has not equated them to our colony's historical civil disruption [boarding the ships] and lost of "property" [340+/- cases of tea] during the infamous BOSTON TEA party against GB's "taxation w/o representation" policies.

just think about it -- back then the white colonists needed to get their overseer's attention across the pond about their displeasure over an issue...

just as today's people of color need to get the attention of the overseers of/in this country about their plight of no medical, police impropriety, ad nauseam.

just a different perspective tossed out to contemplate...

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

https://www.history.com/news/boston-tea-party-surprising-facts

4. The Tea Party, itself, didn’t incite revolution.

There’s this idea that the Boston Tea Party was the rallying cry that galvanized the colonies for revolution, but Carp says that many strong opponents of British rule, George Washington among them, denounced acts of lawless and violence, especially against private property.

Rifling82, RKtullahoma and towboater like this.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

And this deals with General Handgun Discussion how??????

This should go to another section.

Rifling82, ellis36 and Gatoragn like this.
  4. Nmwabbit

In June of 1774, George Washington wrote: “the cause of Boston…ever will be considered as the cause of America.”
    https://www.history.com/topics/american-revolution/boston-tea-party

seems CARP's stated perception from Washington's written word is different...but yes privately he an other autocratic of the period denounced the acts similarly to the way our current overseers are denouncing the new wave of civil discourse.,

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  5. Nmwabbit

sorry i started in general clubhouse category and it flipped to this forum's niche.

i'll ping to see if the mods/adm can move it...

6. Gatoragn

From your own link:

In June of 1774, George Washington wrote: “the cause of Boston…ever will be considered as the cause of America.” But his personal views of the event were far different. He voiced strong disapproval of “their conduct in destroying the Tea” and claimed Bostonians “were mad.” Washington, like many other elites, held private property to be sacrosanct.

7. Nmwabbit

yes your bolding is what i paraphrased by stating, "but yes privately he an other autocratic of the period denounced the acts similarly to the way our current overseers are denouncing the new wave of civil discourse."

this portion was written in 1774 where he unequivocally stated the colonies were rallying around the event in boston...
    "About a year before writing this letter to his long-time friend and neighbor, George William Fairfax and his wife had moved to England in an attempt to settle some inheritance issues. George Washington took this opportunity to let Fairfax know about recent political developments in America, detailing the increasing friction between the royal governor of Virginia and the colony’s House of Burgesses, as well as the fact that all the colonies were united in supporting “the cause of Boston” in the matter of taxation without representation.

"...without their own consent that the cause of Boston the despotick (sic) Measures in respect to it I mean now is and ever will be considerd (sic) as the cause of America (not that we approve their cond[uc]t (sic) in destroyg (sic) the Tea) ..."

[one presumes the "WE" is commentary to the other autocratic elites?]

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

NW- moved your thread- but to History. Please do not be like my lady and tell me it looks nicer over on THAT wall.....

I would, however add that the raiders in Boston dumped tea overboard. They did not steal it, set fire to the constables cart, or steal the tea service out of the window at Paul Revere's silver shop. And nobody in Philly was looking for shoes and Doritos and blaming it on tea taxes.

9. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Maybe there was a tea shortage and old George couldn't bear to see all that tea dumped in the drink.

Course all this was before he led the effort to kill as many British as possible, tea or no tea.

Nmwabbit likes this.
  10. Nmwabbit

the analogy to the boston tea party centers around our country's turning the tide against the autocratic overseers which could be correlated to Egypt's overturn, Tiananmen square, Islamic Revolution, and others which were some successful and some failed, e.g. Türkiye's 2016 coup attempt, Hong Kong's protests, etc.

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting how they see it on this side.

Nmwabbit likes this.
  12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Traitors to the crown ?

13. manta

I am sure some saw it that way in Britain and America. Plenty in the UK wouldn't anything about the american war of independence, apart from Mel Gibson was in it.

14. Gatoragn

That was after Mel led Oz out of the apocalyptic wastelands.

towboater likes this.
  15. manta

Yes, and Scotland.

towboater likes this.
  16. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

Analogy of BTP and the inter-city riots is just tolling BS!
    The Boston tea partiers didn't burn their own businesses
    and shoot each other.

armoredman, JRDallas and Txhillbilly like this.
  17. Nmwabbit

thank RS for your constructive commentary...shame you were unable to provide anything but a childish elementary rant...

according to documented history the Party increased tensions between the Colonial states and Great Britain especially after the British overseers passed the Boston Port Act which infuriating the Colonial powers which shortly later convened the First Continental Congress & as they say the rest is history!

let's see what the late Mr. Floyd's death precipitates when the country's citizens civil discourse ceases...

there is the analogy i promoted RS...sorry sir, you missed the concept i presented!

manta likes this.
  18. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Recent documentary related the Boston Tea Party was not over taxation as much as the fact that the British had awarded a monopoly on the importation of tea that allowed the importer to sell tea cheaper than the tea smugglers. Those "dressed like Indians" who reportedly threw the tea overboard were smugglers. It was on "Adam Ruins Everything" so it has to be true. It did sound like a fun night anyway you look at it.

19. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

Oh, I didn'i miss your promoted BS analogy.
    There is no comparison.
    Most know BS as soon as they see it.
    If not, They'll know something just stinks!

JRDallas likes this.
  20. Gatoragn

I suppose if all the flat screen TV's, Nike shoes, etc. get tossed into a river or lake, then the analogy might work.

armoredman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.