Aguila Super Colibri enough for rabbit?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Scratchammo, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Spring will be here soon & the garden will be back in business. I have neighbors so I don't want their attention when the bunnies come. Anyone have these rounds stuck in the barrel their rifle? I'm using my Wally World 10/22 & I know I'll have to rack the slide after each shot.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Questionable, depending on range, and whether you got dem zombie rabbits. You might get a box of CCI CB Longs, and give them a try. Still very quiet. seem to have a smidge more oomph (that's a technical term there) than the Colibri/ Super Colibri. You will still cycle them by hand thru MOST autoloaders (but not my 550-1's!) but they are length of a LR, and cycle easier.

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Hmm I might give the CB's a try.

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The CB Longs work great. They will not cycle the bolt though, so you will have to do it manually. As far as noise level, they are quieter than a BB gun. I use them all the time in my bolt actions in the yard.

Jim.........

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for the info. I think I have a few of those in my drawer.

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

The Super Colibri works fine on small birds and squirrels. It does NOT make a clean kill on the hard-headed possum! I literally popped one of the home-invading buggers right between the eyes at point blank - nearly had the muzzle of my Stevens Model 15 right on his nose! He shook it off and ran.
    I did find him later piled up under my house....... kileld him but not quick or clean.

Still, better than the prior possum I whacked with a katana - y'all would not believe how two 'half possums' stink...... ugghh!! :D

7. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I guess I'll think of my .22 more on the lines of a pellet rifle, I'll stick with small vermin, maybe a lucky shot on a bunny.

How did you get that close to a possum to divide it?!?! :eek:

8. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Picture a 300lb white dude at zero-dark-thirty in his skivvies, chasing the possum through his house waving three feet of razor-sharp steel. (Did not want to freak the neighbors with a gunshot)
    The critter finally ran across the tiled kitchen floor - I dove at him swinging - and connected. Yuck..... bagged him and he went out to the garbage.......

Those critters have a wicked set of teeth! - I got a good look while I was stabbing at him under the furniture...... ;)

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I shoot them at the squirrels invading my bird feeders. I have noticed one thing. No two are the same. I have had some quiet enough to shoot with the muzzle next to your ear and hardly hear them others sounded like std velocity 22lr. I just picked up some of the Colibri rounds which are think are quieter than the super Colibri.

If you keep the range below 15 yards you should kill them. Remember you have to take head shots so spend some time on the range to make sure you are hitting the target. I would not take longer shots nor would I take any other shot other than a head shot. I have shot and hit squirrels at 27' (distance from back door to the end of my back yard) and had good solid boiler room hits and watched squirrels run off.

Now I am shooting mine out of a 24" barrel on my remington 511-x and 513-t.

If you want real quiet I would look into getting a threaded barrel and a suppressor then just shoot subsonic rounds. They will perform better and be more consistently quiet.

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know the CCI long or short CB work fine in a rifle and clear the barrel and are quiet,I even took out 3 raccoons at one time with them out of a revolver so they got the power.I would not use the super colibri unless it was real close and out of a handgun.

12. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I got my Colibri's in the mail today & they're quiet!! They're not very accurate but I'm not going for distance. My only real complaint is the filth it leaves behind but I'm satisfied. I think it's funny hearing the neighbors ask me when I bought the new pellet gun lmao.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011