Age of gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by mvencel, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mvencel

mvencel New Member

I have an old 12 Ga. I would like to restore. I thank it belonged to my Grand father.

The only info. on the gun is:
    SPRINGFIELD
    ARMS COMPANY
    chicopeefalls mass usa

The serial # 55921

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome to the FTF community. It would be helpful if you could post some pictures of the shotgun.

There is an Introduction forum. When you get a chance, please head over there and introduce yourself to the folks.

3. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

welcome to our corner of the internet, you might be able to contact someone at the company they might have records on the serial number.

4. Walley

Walley New Member

Springfield Arms Company: Trade name used by the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said- THAT Springfield is not today's Springfield. Rather complex relationship between Stevens/Savage/Springfield companies.

Usually we tell folks you have to saw the gun in half and count the rings, but if you get use some photos, will try to narrow it down some. :p

And I am forgetting my manners- welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, drop by the intro thread and say howdy.

6. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Yeah, it's a Stevens. Stevens dropped the Springfield name on shotguns in 1948.

7. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I have but one question. Why are you going to restore this gun? Unless it has been severly neglected, any refinish or alteration is completely removing the history your grandfather made with this gun. Every dent, ding, rub and abrasion is evident that your gramps used this gun. When restored it is nothing but a shiny old gun that has had its history forever removed. Just my 2 cents.

8. mvencel

mvencel New Member

This gun was stored in a shed for more than 50 years.
    I agree with you about restoring the gun, but this gun is
    terribly rusted and I have no choice. The gun is sound.

I would like to find the age of the gun.

9. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Stevens date coded shotguns starting in 49. Stevens dropped the Springfield name in 48 on shotguns. AFAIK not much way to get an exact year of manufacture. You might narrow it down to a decade.