After Research I'm also decided on this rifle...

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by BorisTheBulletDodger, Sep 12, 2010.

1. BorisTheBulletDodger

BorisTheBulletDodger New Member

I've been shopping and searching and researching info on a rimfire rifle to purchase, and yes I actually searched many forums instead of just asking, so now I'm here 'tellin' of my searches for others to search in the future and feel free to comment because I'm not 100% yet but close. I'm still not sold on a autoloader; or do I get a bolt or lever action???... I have a bolt and a semi in other calibers but no lever.

My main priorities are:

1. Purchase Price (under $200)
    2. Ammo Price
    3. Accurate (out of the box)
    3.1 Good Trigger
    4. Reliable
    5. Semi-Auto

I need a gun that I can actually afford to shoot and that my wife can learn on, as far as shooting accurate with and without scope, and isn't afraid of. And mostly for me and friends to sit on the acreage and shoot CHEAP accurate rounds, ie. good cheap fun.

2. I do really like the .17HMR but cost of ammo at .30 cents a round for plinking, and I would probably get the magnum anyway?

1. Purchase Price - this excluded the famous 10/22 since it needs upgraded. Sounds fun but I have other guns I need to upgrade if any of them get upgraded, and I'm just not the upgrading type, and I really don't want to be tooling on guns and blow myself up.

I looked at the Savage 64fxp and the Remington 597, both of which had several reports of having problems with jamming or extracting or such. I do own a Savage bolt action in .243, but not sold on their auto loader .22 yet. But could be?

I basically have it down to the Marlin 795 that sells here Rimfire Rifles; which is down the road and good prices.

I am open to all suggestions and not just in semi-auto or at just this store - as I will probably not be purchasing for 2-weeks or so and there are plenty of gunshops around with more choices.

but I am pretty sold on a .22 lr, and I have a revolver in .22 lr

I hear that the Marlin 60 has a heavy trigger, is this so with the 795 also?

'Thanks for reading and 'what do ya think?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

3. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

"1. Purchase Price - this excluded the famous 10/22 since it needs upgraded. Sounds fun but I have other guns I need to upgrade if any of them get upgraded, and I'm just not the upgrading type, and I really don't want to be tooling on guns and blow myself up."

"Needs upgraded"? Why?

In any case, the 10/22 can be upgraded, if you really want to, a dime at a time :). The others...not so much, to coin a phrase.

Regards,

Walt

4. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

Sounds like you are well on your way to making a decision. The marlin 795 is a great gun, and IMO, the best deal going (i got mine for $108 after taxes and rebate). Yes, the trigger is rather heavy, but there are some easy, cheap (free) fixes available if you look around on here.

I own both a Marlin 795 and Ruger 10/22, and usually this is the advice I give about which one someone else should get:

Both guns are great out of the box. If you plan on leaving your gun as is, without buying much in the way of aftermarket parts, the 795 is an excellent deal. If you think in the future you might want the option of larger magazines, an array of stocks, or match grade barrels, you should consider the 10/22. Like I said, both are great out of the box, but you can't beat $100 for a great shooting autoloader!

Also: if you go with iron sights, on either of these guns, I would consider Tech-Sights to replace the factory sights. Both factory irons are pretty basic. (i have tech-sights on my 795, shoots <1 inch 5 shot groups at ~35 yards.)

5. Clem

Clem Member

I originally bought my 10/22 with the idea that I would rebuild it. By the time I got done, the only original Ruger part was the receiver, but it does shoot very nicely and the whole process was fun for me.

Ruger receiver
    CDC bolt
    Kidd trigger
    Hogue stock
    Weaver 2x7 rimfire scope

I took all the original parts, purchased a Ruger receiver, and rebuilt a factory stock gun.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Ruger 10/22 anyway. You don't have to upgrade it, but the chance will always be there.

Marlin 60 - No upgrades needed. Great little rifle, but you have to tube feed it alot.

Remington 597- Jamming is because of the older mags. There are no problems with the new ones. I dote on this .22 rifle more than the others. Mine it a tackdriver. :)

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would go 10/22 the very base model in no way "needs" upgrading. its prolly the hands down most reliable fun and decently accurate rifle out of the box. i have a fully customized target 10/22 and a bare bones one. the base model hangs in there just fine with anyone i meet at the range shooting 22's. 10/22 is the best basic rifle for the 22lr.

8. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What I said ;)...

Best regards,

Walt

9. paul

paul New Member

.22's

I own/owned numerous 10/22's plain carbines and mod 60's. both are right price at acade--. Less than $200, well 60 was $189 with tax and 10/22 was $207 with tax. I enjoy them for years. Shoot clean ammo and they'll be alot more enjoyable. Dirty ammo, you'll get tired of messing with it, or I did. Rather shoot cci or something burns good. Powder burn is more relevant than bullet jacket or no jacket is when it comes to fouling. Scope? Get a rimfire scope, get one for less than $20.00. You'll be happy and can be very accurate. 100yd-150yd bullseye shots will be nothing:). Have fun.

10. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Boris,
    The choices are limitless. The only way to decide is to find someone who has the rifles you are looking at and shoot them, or go to a range that rents firearms and try them that way. Then buy the one that you feel comfortable with. If you just take someone's advise on which one is best, you may not end up with something you are happy with.

Jim........

11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Marlin model 60. The tube magazine is easier/faster to load than a clip plus it's more accurate than an out of the box Ruger.

Yeah, I said clip. GET OVER IT.:D

12. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

Model 60, It initally has a Heavy Pull, But after a few months you wont even notice it. After a year, I use it as an advantage, I get my target, start my pull, re-adjust if the need arises,and contiune with my pull and fire.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

WEll..Being I have several mags for my 10-22's I can't see how anyone could possibly pull that tube out and reload faster than I can drop one out and put another one in. Mags are cheap. I have owned Marlins and Rugers O' plenty. Some better than others.

Either of those rifles will not let you down. Check them both out nad see what feels best to you. I like the 10-22 a little more myself because there are just so many ways to rebuild them as you see fit. But if it's just an out of the box rifle either one will suit your needs just fine. Used shops, pawn shops have tons of them cheap. Find one that's not too beat up and you have a quality rifle for not much cash at all. And truth be told it's pretty hard to shoot one out.I mean...I have one here that has had untold thousands of rounds though it. I don't clean it a whole lot because it shoots better with a few rounds through it. And I put it up against some much more expensive rifles and it keeps up just fine.

The Marlins have stood the test of time. Same deal as the Ruger. You don't have near the aftermarket opportunities as you will with the Ruger but you can not find much if anything to complain about with it either. I have a couple older Marlins/Glenfields here and they shoot a well now as they ever did. I like the older Glenfield stocks though. They are not as plain. There are aftermarket stocks for the Marlin. Just not as many as with the Ruger.

Both will shoot out of the box just fine. Clean and lube it before you shoot it. It's just a good thing to do new or used. Other than that feed it and clean em every once and a while and they will give you years of fun.

14. DocWard

DocWard New Member

Do you buy the mags pre-loaded? I think his point was that one can load a tube faster and easier than loading magazines. Sure you can sit at home and load them up, but you still have to spend the time loading them. Then you have the issue with thumbing the rounds in, either with or without a mechanical aid.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  15. paul

paul New Member

.22 rifle, which 1?

I enjoy the 60 and the 10-22, price @ 189.00 for the ruger and 139.00 for the 60 makes it a good choice of either. I like 60 for better accuracy, longer and like the 10-22 for "wasting" ammo, can definitely drop a clip and load another faster than tube feeding a rifle but, after shooting several of those hotlip 25rd mags., if the rifle isn't getting jam's ever so often, it will be by then. Just a fact, use clean burning .22cal ammo, it's worth the 1 or 2cents more a round, 60 or 10-22, I can shoot up a brick just as fast with both