after mental hospitalization?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by davi, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davi

davi New Member

I've been in a mental hospital several years ago, not sure if it was "involuntary" or not.

1. How can I find out if I am eligible to purchase a firearm? If I apply at a licensed dealer and it turns out that I am on the list of those who cannot purchase, will I be arrested for trying to obtain an illegal firearm? Is there some other way of finding out if I'm on that list?

2. If it turns out I have been "involuntarily" committed to a mental hospital, is there any way I can get my 2nd Amendment rights back? I mean, a felon could in theory be pardoned by the governor, but does anyone have the legal authority to "pardon" someone for a past mental illness?

I live in Kansas if that's important.

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

You need to contact a lawyer, each State is different. You would not be able to purchase I firearm legally in my part of the world.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

As I understand it you cannot legally purchase a firearm in the US. Question f. on form 4473 asks:

Voluntarily or involuntarily you have been committed and as I understand it that disqualifies you. As Jagermeister said, you need to talk to a lawyer.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i second the suggestion of contacting a lawyer versed in firearms law.

my take and this is strictly an opinion and observation, not to be used as a final word, so contact a lawyer to be sure, but unless you were committed by a judge or placed in one by law enforcement for your protection or others, then there is probably no record of you being commited. lots of people commit themselves for many reasons, due to depression, alcohol, drugs or other reasons. when you commit yourself, it's no different than going into the hospital for a gall bladder surgery.

but do check with a lawyer to be on the safe side.

5. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Welcome to FTF Davi! Get a lawyer!

never thought I'd say that...

6. AR10

AR10 New Member

Short answer, no

Long answer, money is grease. Lots of stuck, squeaky wheels takes lots of grease.

If you have the money, and you want the past changed, that sort of thing is done all the time.

Not rich, back to the short answer.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

So Davi, tell us a little more about yourself. What was the reason you were in the hospital? Was there a diagnosis of any kind? And why would you want to buy a gun now?

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

Also, an incorrect answer on the yellow sheet (white now, but dealers still call them the yellow sheet) will get you three hots and a cot for about ten years.

Asking an attorney a question, and living with the aftermath could make the attorney more money for him and his jackel buddies watching you bounce through the system.

Get a pitbull. They make good companions and you can trust them.

9. dickie3625

dickie3625 New Member

Answering yes to mental health question doesnt absolutly disqualify you. You have to explain to the pd and on thr form. They will make you go to a psychologist to get cleared to see if you are eligable. Goodluck

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Here is the exact language from Form 4473:

The mental health question is 11 f.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The one common answer here that IS correct is "See an attorney".

Having been a patient in a mental hospital is NOT a disqualifier under Federal law. Having been adjudicated mentally incompetent IS. Those are 2 very different matters.

We are not attorneys- and you need to talk with one that is a member of the bar in your home state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.