After Market Muzzle Brakes/Flash Suppressors

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ALS11, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

How many of you change the factory muzzle break on your AR 15? Why? When I bought my Stag from a gun smith shop they sold me on a break they designed and made. He said the factory brake was not to good and was very loud to the shooter. I won't repeat his exact description. Looking at the stock brake and his brake, I could tell that because of the position of the "holes" that his MIGHT be better so I bought it. I must say that it seems pretty good but I didn't shoot the gun with the stock one so I can't be sure. There does not seem to be much "upward" motion in the barrel when I shoot. I am happy with it.

Attached Files:

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I use the standard A2 flash hider on both of my ARs since it's a good compromise between a FH and a compensator. I don't buy the dealer's comment that it's not good and is too loud.

I can't comment on the one you pictured or how it would perform. It looks like a standard A2 except that its internal diameter is kept at bore size right up to the muzzle. Can you give us more info on what they said the advantages are? I could see that it might give you a little more fps over the A2.

3. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

That's the muzzle brake I attached on my gun. It's really awesome. It reduced the recoil while standing by a ton. But it is louder than you could ever possibly imagine. Worth it imo :)

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I switched out my birdcage with a smith enterprise VORTEX. It produces no muzzle flash and reduces muzzle jump... Sorry about the photos, my new phone is tweaking out..hahaha the photo of me and my daughter acting silly wasnt supposed to be added

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

heh.. I've got the std birdcage, but if I had a choice (or ran out of ammo), I want the nastiest, most horrifying eye-popper-outer I can get...thoughts?

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

These,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this.
    [​IMG]

The top 2 have proven to be great. The BC 1.5s keep the muzzle on target, have good flash killing, and are not all that loud.

The last, a PWS FSC556, works well but does have noticeable concusion and noice.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Why do you feel the need to put a muzzle brake on a 5.56 mm AR? There is no recoil and muzzle jump is easily controllable. Many aftermarket products are primarily intended to reduce the thickness of your wallet.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have to agree with you 100% Robocop. The A2 functions well both as a muzzle brake and flash hider. And since it's as cheap as it gets I can't see replacing mine.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I dissagree w/ both of you. I know Quentin it's our first. I teared up a little too :D.

The difference is noticable and the ability to put follow up shots on target through the reduction of muzzle climb.

The proof is in the split times. Every little bit counts.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

OMG, does this mean ... it's over? :eek:

:D

No argument here, MJ, it's a certainty that fractions of a second can matter in competition and combat so we must make individual choices that matter to us. If you can perceive a difference then there IS a difference. I go at a slower pace than many of you guys so it's not likely I'd notice much. Plus being from a different generation I lean toward plain jane in my firearms. The main thing is that we each outfit our defensive weapons so they work for US not what some guy says on the Internet or in a gun magazine!

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Just throw away my toothbrush I don't even want it back, lol

You're completely correct Quentin. I am guilty of the "works for me it must work for you" attitude from time to time.

12. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Well that makes a lot of sense since most ARs come with a A2 flash hider which is NOT a brake. Very few breaks are effective enough and tough enough to make it to Military vendor status. Of the actual brakes out there that do sell to the US government I'm partial to the OpsInc unit. I have it on my .308 and I can watch the holes show up on the target when I shoot. One of the most effetive designs I've played with. Some others are nearly worthless in their capability to reduce recoil and muzzle jump. Some folks assume that if you drill/point holes up and back you are done. Some very careful math and computer design/modeling goes into designing and building brakes that work and that work ain't cheap.

OpsInc unit for the AR is fantastic but a little pricey and it requires a competent gunsmith to install it correctly, no crush washers for that puppy. One of the best brake/flash hider combos out there is made by SureFire but again you are in the higher end of the $$$ spectrum.

13. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Those are some of the truest words ever spoken! Now knock that off :p

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Thanks, Panda. You can have MJ's toothbrush if you want. :D

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The stability of the rifle and ability to control what recoil does exist is more dependent on stance than devices. With the proper stance, I can shoot all 30 rds full auto at 15 yards into a half dollar group. Yes, one ragged hole. Learned proper technique from ex-SAS in an MP-5 school.

16. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

It wasn't a hard sell for me to change the muzzle brake. I don't remember his exact words but I figured it wasn't that much more money for me to have it installed. I haven't shot high power rifles that much and figured it just might be worth while to have something different. Is it just a way to make my wallet a bit lighter?? Maybe it is. I certainly am no expert. At least I like the results. You guys do have some interesting muzzle brakes.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Stance is nice but unfortunately we can't always shoot standing still with all our weight over the handguard. Sometimes we have to fire around, over, or under cover.

18. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Good God man! Haven't you ever heard about the cool factor?

My wife says the AR-15 has more accessories than a Barbie doll set. Now my home-crafted AR shoots em up pretty good, but I still look like a dork behind the trigger. I need all the help I can get. :)

:D