Afghanistan now?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ShagNasty1001, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Do any of y'all have any idea the situation in Afghanistan as of now or this year? I know we are supposed to be pulling out by the end of the year, depending on the force agreement. I haven't had much chance to follow it on the news since I don't have much access to cable and my main source of anything social or online is usually my iPhone. My main concern for all of this is, I have a really good friend who just flew out there with the Army, even though he's in the Navy :confused: and with his secret squirrel stuff, he can't say much on what he's doing except what his orders say.."Maritime Operations.." or where he is going. I didn't know if Helmand Province or the Korangal Valley or any other main areas are still as hot as they used to be?

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

You didn't see the new viral YouTube video of the UFO blasting the taliban camp? At least the aliens are on our side. Lmao

3. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

They are closing some FOBs and moving equipment around but still lots of troops over there. Our son has about 4 months left on his deployment. College classmate lost his son over there a couple of months ago, still not a nice place to be.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Looks like a Grumman RQ 180. Which if true is one of ours.

5. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plain,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Then roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier."

Rudyard Kipling (A soldier of the queen)

7. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

According to the Constitution , Obama is not commander and chief unless there is a declared war . There has not been a declaimed war since before Viet Nam .why are we raising hell about it ?

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Afghanistan and Iraq both are some of the best work weve done as warfighters gone really bad after. Im pretty sure few would question the fact that our nation won both conflicts hands down. Our Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen performed nearly perfectly but our politicians cant take winning the war as good enough, now they expect us to also create peace. Nation Building outside of our own borders has cost us as many lives as the wars that lead to the "Peace".

Simple wars were better, go in, kick ***, leave triumphantly.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The whole nation building thing started right after WW2 with the Marshall plan. And it worked.

BUT,

It worked because we rebuilt Japan, Germany, and Italy into new nations based on OUR culture and values.

In diaperhead land, we tried to respect and rebuild THEIR culture. It didn't work.

Is their a lesson here??

10. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yep. Security responsibilities are being transfered to the Afghan National Army. That effort began last year. Most American combat units are expected to be withdrawn by the end of this year. There is still ongoing discussion over the number of US troops who will remain, but those who do remain will primarily be tactical advisors to ANA and special operations assets...the latter to continue operations against Al Qaeda and high-value targets.

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

That makes sense as to why he went then

America doesn't need a Marine Corps, they want one

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You mean protect the oil pipelines.

We coud leave advisers in Afghanistan for the next 20 years, they still won't have an army or police force. All those people understand is to get some cash in their pocket and desert. They feel that their tactics are better than ours. We have been in Afghanistan for 10 years all that has happened is the terrorists are getting stronger. The Russian were there for 20 years. All the Afghans had were rocks and very few rifles. The Afghans managed to steal light weapons from the Russians and use them effectively against them.

We need to worry about securing the oil pipelines and let those people alone. They have been at war for so long they have a huge illiteracy problem and no commerce beyond a market in the street under a tent. I can't imagine living in a place that has no nationwide food distribution system.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  13. JonM

JonM Moderator

please feel free to repost political controversial and or religous topics in the political controversial and religion subforum.

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.