Firearms Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posting this in the hope that it saves others a headache...

Recently completed a full build with Aero Precision parts; so far I have been extremely pleased with the reliability, accuracy and ascetics. However the Atlas R-One handgard was not aligned/true with the upper. Upon further investigation, I discovered the small/obscure and proprietary 'handgard ratchet lock' set screw was improperly installed at the factory. Apparently this caused of handgaurd to warp and (minor cosmetic) damage to the upper.

Initially, Aero's support implied this was 'my fault' for not following installation procedures. I pointed out that their documentation never even references that set screw. Aero agreed to inspect the parts and possibly exchange them -- after I completely dissemble the upper, ship the parts and wait (several weeks) for their decision. Aero's assembly and QC failures, plus lack of documentation, resulted in permanent damage to my build. Aero's support offered 'insult' and then further imposition to potentially resolve their negligence. Probably won't be doing business with Aero again.

·
Retired
13,842 Posts
Was the part made on Friday?
That is when many of the workers look forward to Saturday and want to rush to get things out.

·
Retired
13,842 Posts
Other than asking the company, I am not sure.
But this is a reason I always try to buy parts from a U.S. company that has a "No BS" return policy (no questions, customer is always right, etc...)

Oh, by the way, please stop by our "Introductions" section and say "Hi"

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I have the S one, same screw. Dunno if it was mentioned in the instructions or not.
But I saw it and screwed it in enough to not bother anything.
IMHO this is basic mechanical stuff.

One should look things over before cranking a wrench.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the S one, same screw. Dunno if it was mentioned in the instructions or not.
But I saw it and screwed it in enough to not bother anything.
IMHO this is basic mechanical stuff.

One should look things over before cranking a wrench.
I did look things over. Apparently a small, obscure, proprietary and undocumented screw -- off by fractions of an inch -- is easy to miss. However I am not here to dump on Aero, this is just a PSA in the hopes that the next guy catches it before install.

Aero’s instructions make no mention of the set screw, but I discovered that Stag (rebranded Aero) does specifically mention the set screw: Stag handguard install instructions

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I figured it was for the detent.

With the wedge lock, would be no other purpose.

Did not pop apart to verify, was comfy w my guess.

Like my Atlas S handguard just fine.
Unfortunatly other family members like it too.

Said to em all " build your own!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts