AE Arms USM4

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by artieg, Jan 8, 2014.

1. artieg

artieg New Member

I am new to the board, so I thought I would throw out a questions regarding KE Arms, more specifically their USM4/ Black/ 14.5. It appears they use high end components, the rifle looks great astatically speaking, but there isn't a lot of information on testing, performance, etc. Are they a new company, what about their $500.00 select fire trigger, customer service, etc. I really like the weapon, may buy one, but wanted some feedback prior to doing so. Looking forward to the responses.

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

While unfamiliar with the specific rifle mentioned I can help in a way.

Because of the firearms act of 1968 a sub-16 inch barrel is qualified as an SBR and will need to be registered as such. The registration includes a $200 tax 'stamp', fingerprinting, generally local LEO blessing and of course the 4-12 month wait depending on how far backed up they may be. Now this could be avoided by going with a 16" barrel or having a muzzle device welded to bring it to 16 inches.

While the SBR route is definitely do-able, most people choose to go with a factory 16"

Now on to that trigger pack, again, unfortunately because of a firearms act (1986) you can no longer register what the ATF calls 'machine guns' or anything that fires more than one round per pull of the trigger. So it's a no go on auto unless you get a pre-86 registered firearm which is running about $16,000 right now or a registered drop in auto sear which was 8-10,000 at last check.

Sorry I can't help with that specific rifle, also drop by the introductions section when you get a chance and tell us a little about yourself.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What Sputnik is referring to is the National firearms act of 1934 which made SBRs, full autos, suppressors, etc, subject to extra tax and registration as well as outright illegal in some states.

A 14.5" barrel may be legal with the permanent attachment of a muzzle device that makes the barrel at least 16".

The trigger that the website advertises is a "three mode" trigger that states no ATF NFA paperwork is required, which means it has some sort of a bump fire capability that actually requires the trigger to be pulled for each individual shot. Though their video makes it look like almost full auto shooting, this usually ends up not being super reliable.

Don't know much about the company or their product to make a full comment though, so, if anyone else has direct experience I'm sure they'll share.

Except your title line for the post states "AE Arms" vice "KE Arms" as indicated in the text of your actual post.

Welcome to the forum.

4. artieg

artieg New Member

5. artieg

artieg New Member

Just talked with Doug over there, and the OAL is 16"

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as long as it's pinned and welded so that it's permnently attached and has an OAL of 16". a 14.5" barrel with a removeable 2" muzzle brake or compensator isn't legal.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Seems like a good setup, but grossly overpriced in my opinion. You could easily build a very similar rifle for $1000-$1500 less.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

That trigger's MSRP is about $500 ish. I think you can make a better rifle for $1k less. WITH that trigger. Hell for $2k you can even have an Aimpoint on it.

9. artieg

artieg New Member

That's what I'm finding out. Thank you for the input!

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

That trigger is pretty interesting but I wouldn't plunk out the cash for it without a lot of folks going first

11. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I am really, really interested in this trigger system have been researching it, believe it has taken the "bumpfire" principle to a level that approximates select fire and am resolved to buy it this spring and install on one of my better AR's.

As for the gun its not cheap but that trigger alone is 500 bucks separate not counting the cost of having someone put it in for you (and with that kind of trigger i'd definitely pay to have a professional do it.

The flash hider is permanently attached so its fully legal at that length.

I think that rifles looks ****-hot

it depends how much you value your money.
    Is the rifle worth that much?
    hard to say w/o a long track record.

an alternative method could be to buy a nice Daniel Defense M4V5 for 1300/1400 or a SIG516 and the add then trigger ..500 bucks plus quality install say an extra 150 and you are at just 2k.
    or an LMT for a little more.

but I always encourage folks to give new companies a try and in so doing help the community via an evaluation.

Having said that, rifles in that premium price range usually say LWRC or Noveske in front of them....all the other brands I mentioned are also well respected premium rifles (except for that hot trigger,)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  12. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I should have this trigger some time in the near future. I pre-ordered one at the first of December. No need to pay to have it installed. Not that difficult. Since it's a drop in unit, it should install about the same as a Timney. This will be going in one of these builds......

image-19623433.jpg
    or
    image-287652702.jpg
    Not sure which one just yet......

13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Hotness!
    What kind of rifles are those?

Unless i hear those triggers dont hold their promise ( which I doubt ) I will put one in them in my LWRC M6A2.

14. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Those would be two of my custom builds. Both 5.56's.
    image-1934414781.jpg
    This one.....
    Palmetto State lower
    ALG ACT trigger
    Magpul MOE K2 grip
    Magpul CTR STOCK
    Spikes tactical CHF chrome lined 1:7 twist barrel
    Spikes Dynacomp
    RCA Nitrided BCG
    10 1/4" Diamondhead Handguard
    Eotech EXPS2-2
    *I applied H Series Burnt Bronze Cerakote on this one

image-691799828.jpg
    image-479074729.jpg
    image-4018464172.jpg
    image-1734454754.jpg
    This one....
    Seekins Precision SP223 billet lower
    Ranier Arms Ultra Match Billet upper
    NEA Compact Carbine Stock
    Magpul MOE K2 grip
    WMD NiB-X trigger group
    Ice Arms Nitrided 1:9 twist barrel
    Spikes Dynacomp
    13 1/2" Diamondhead Handguard
    Troy Dioptic tritium buis
    *I applied H Series Tungsten Cerakote to this build

15. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

So hot!!

I also cant wait for you to get your trigger to inform my path forward.
    At this point I am basically wondering should i get 1 or 2? :)

If I get 2 then both my CQB rifle would get one and i would also set up my DMR as a poor mans LMG w/ Bipod etc
    (They both have CHF barrels)