advice

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Ray_Ray, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Hey guys I need some advice. What is a good all around American made and build personal protection handgun. Revolver or other wise? Not to light and not to heavy. And that's around $200 or less?

2. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Search criteria: good; American made; not too light; not too heavy....search running
    Sorry, no matches to your search have been found.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

A used smith and wesson revolver in .38, but it will probably run anywhere from $250-$300. Or a hi point, but they are heavy and there are many naysayers, Hi Point can be a very hot topic of debate. Most of us who have shot or owned one think it's a great gun.

I personally would go with a used revolver. There are some Colt models that carry a pretty cheap price too. A local gun shop near me had a Colt Metropolitan .38 for $300.

Your options are very limited at $200. I think you should probably just save a bit more. For just $150 more your options open up big time.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Not going to find much worthwhile in the $200 range. Hi Points are inexpensive and I think they're American made, correct me if I'm wrong. If you would consider used, a Ruger might fit the bill but depending on the model and caliber, it's going to be at least twice what you are wanting to spend. Used Springfields and Glocks can be had in the 4-500 range but not American made. Just my humble opinion, with something you are going to potentially entrust your life to, don't go cheap.

5. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Ruger and S&W jump to mind...but you're gonna have to up your price range. Remember you get what you pay for.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Charter Arms, Kel-Tec and HiPoint are the closest you will come in new American Made. The HiPoint will be heavy. You might find a used Kel-Tec P11 or Charter Arms revolver for close to $200. The newer Charter Arms revolvers are better quality than the older ones. The current owner has upgraded the quality.

7. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Ruger LCR comes to mind first, but you'll have to double+ your price range. Or you can go with something like Kel-tec P-3AT. You might be able to find one used in your price range.

8. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Thanks guys keep it coming. Yeah a friend was telling me about kel-tec. Never heard of them tell he was telling me. So they are pretty good guns?

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

My sister has a Kel-Tec .380, and has never had an issue with it function wise. She is thinking of getting something else because the slide is chewing up her hand when she shoots it.

10. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Why is it doing that? Bad design or she just holing it wrong?

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would say design flaw. She shoots other guns of different sizes with no problem. Even the little ruger .380 which is basically the same thing.

12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

There are different gens of the kel-tec...the earlier ones were failure prone, IIRC. Do some research on them before you buy...I'd lay it out for ya, but I don't remember at what point they fixed the prob. The new ones are fine, as I understand it.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

She has no failure problems with it, it just chews up the web of her hand. Whereas the Ruger of the same exact design does not.

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yeah, that's odd that it wouldn't be the same with the Ruger.

I've got nothin....

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I recommend you double you're budget.

16. primer

primer New Member

A coworkers bought a used ruger p series 9 mm at a gun store for 250$. It's in good shape, and a reliable gun, but a bit large for ccw.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Unfortunately you don't get to check off all those criteria for that price. You're going to have to make some concessions, be it in price or attributes of the gun.

For $300-400, you can probably find everything you're looking for. A decent used revolver or basic new 38sp, Ruger SR or P series, S&W Sigma or SD, and Bersa's Thunder series offers a lotta gun for $400 or so (but built in Argentina).

If you're determined to spend less than $200, I'd say your best option for home defense is a 12ga pump shotgun (Maverick). And your best option for a pistol is a Hi-Point.

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yeah...gun show this weekend had NEW SAXD9 subcompacts for $398.

Hard pressed to beat that deal. I already have one, and I paid WAY more than that when they first came out.

19. Ray_Ray

Ray_Ray New Member

Yeah a 12g is on the list as well. Guess I'm going to have to hold off on shot gun and combine for hand gun first.

20. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012