Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 43 y/o woman. I recently had to borrow a neighbors .22 rifle to put my dog out of it's misery and even though I put it right behind her ear, I had to shoot her twice. (Thank God it only took 2 as I would have had to reload).
Here is my question. What is a reasonably priced rifle, semiauto,that is more powerful than a .22, I can use for home defense or put other animals out of their misery if needed.
It was suggested a Marlin 917. Is this right?
Also, what about handgun. 38?
Thankyou very much!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Boy for a 1st timer you ask some tough questions LOL .

First off I hope you live in the country because shooting even your dog in the city will land you in jail and pretty darn fast unless you're being attacked by it .

The Marlin 917 is a bolt action rifle chambered for the 17 HMR which has about the same power level of the 22 .

Reasonably priced and semiauto are just about unheard of these days especially in rifles with near or over the $300 mark being the starting point and The least expensive of these come in a caliber that is ill suited for home defense because it is way too powerful . The 7.62x39 is what I speak of and it is the Russian round used in Ak47 style weapons .

Marlin use to make a Camp Carbine that can be found on the used market in handgun calibers of 9mm and 45 acp which would do what you need but I am afraid one would run at or over $500 if you can find one .

A company called Kel-Tech makes a carbine in 9mm and 40 S&W "Smith and Wesson" Calibers with the 40 being slightly more powerful and as of the last few years the 40 is the choice caliber of many Police departments for their sidearms . I think these cost about $350 .

There really are many things one needs to know about you to make a good recommendation here .

Do you have any experience with ANY handgun ?

Will you go and get some training with it ?

Do you have a place to safely learn to shoot one ?

Do you intend to actually practice and stay proficient with it or just stick it in a drawer as "THE GUN" and hope it works like a magic wand to ward of evil spirits , rapists and robbers ?

Do you have small children in the home or that regularly visit and have a plan to safely keep them from getting the weapon and hurting or killing themselves ?

Since you're on the Net have you gone to your states homepage and looked up the laws dealing with the legal use of deadly force and understand them ?

You can't blow some kid away because he is walking in your garden or even beating on your closed and locked door because your life isn't in eminent danger .

All of the above applies to rifles as well as handguns .

Please don't misunderstand I fully support your right to own and use a gun for your protection . I just don't want a person with no training and experience and no intention of getting any having a gun and hurting themselves or shooting someone under conditions that aren't legally justified .

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
My advice would be to learn some anatomy.

Poor dog...

Shoot everything you can before deciding to buy something. Most indoor ranges rent guns and contacting a sportsman's club may gain you access to long guns.

Your best bet would be to get a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. Either can be loaded with anything from bird shot to slugs. A slug will put anything down at close ranges. Shoot a 12 gauge shotgun before running out to buy one blindly. A 20 gauge may be better suited for you.

With what you're describing, I see no reason for a semi-auto, a 5 shot pump shotgun should suffice. I you need to off more than 5 animals or bad guys, you probably did something wrong and should have called for backup long ago.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I am a 43 y/o woman. I recently had to borrow a neighbors .22 rifle to put my dog out of it's misery and even though I put it right behind her ear, I had to shoot her twice. (Thank God it only took 2 as I would have had to reload).
Here is my question. What is a reasonably priced rifle, semiauto,that is more powerful than a .22, I can use for home defense or put other animals out of their misery if needed.
It was suggested a Marlin 917. Is this right?
Also, what about handgun. 38?
Thankyou very much!

First of all, sorry to hear about the dog - I don't think even I would be able to do that, I would have driven to the vet and had an injection administered. Most women can handle a 20 gauge shotgun fairly easily - not much recoil, but plenty of "stopping power". You can buy an inexpensive Mossberg 20 ga. shotgun for under $200. You need to shoot it to get a feel forhow to load it and how it shoots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts