Advice, Please: M&P Shield 9mm vs. Ruger SR9.

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by dkleiner, May 7, 2014.

1. dkleiner

dkleiner New Member

Hello, all:

As you can see from my post count, I am new to this forum and rather new to the shooting world in general. My son, age 16, has been shooting for about two years with his grandfather and from what instructors tell me, he a natural. In March, I bought him a Ruger MK III 22 Target pistol. I started shooting with him and caught the bug.

After some formal instruction, I bought a CZ 75BD Police, Berretta 92FS Inox and an H&K P30, all of which are 9mm.

I live in Pennsylvania and am going to apply for a CC permit shortly. After more instruction and practice, I would like to buy a firearm specifically for this purpose. I intend to carry IWB.

I am looking at the Shield and Ruger SR 9. Both seem to fit the bill well.

Thank you for any advice or input you can give me.

Dan

P.S. It may be redundant, but I am posting this thread in the Ruger sub-forum, as well.

2. ParhfinderAFW

ParhfinderAFW New Member

Which one feels better to you? In my mind, neither has a good trigger but that can be compensated for with practice. Both are good guns, but may I suggest looking at a Glock 26? I carry one In the waistband (iwb) in a sticky holster and it is very comfortable and concealable. if you need a full grip Pearce makes grip extensions

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

3. dkleiner

dkleiner New Member

I will look at the Glock 26, as well.

Thanks.

4. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I have the shield in 40. Love this gun. The M&P line is an incredible one. One thing to note about trigger pull in a ccw is that it may not be a bad thing to have a longer pull. With all thst said..try shooting and handling yhe options and see which one feels the best. I love my shield though!

5. frefighter627

frefighter627 New Member

Both the shield and ruger are good firearms. I personally like a long trigger pull on my cc weapons. Glock makes good sub compacts as well in a variety of calibers. See what fits your hand the best and which one you handle the best and go with that firearm. You can't really go wrong with either weapon as long as you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

They seem a bit different. The Shield is much closer to the LC9.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have both a 9mm Shield and an SR9c. The Shield is about 4 oz lighter loaded with 8 rounds (24 oz) than the SR9c loaded with 11 rounds (28 oz). The Shield is 5/16" thinner and about 1/2" shorter. Same height. It is easier to conceal the shield if you dont mind giving up 3 rounds. Ergonomics are about the same. The safety on the Shield could be a little bigger. Supposedly both could be carried with the safety off. Mine is on. I put several guns side by side while looking. The one I liked the best was the Sig 938 but it was twice the price. I also felt polymer might be a better choice with the possibility of being against my skin. I did not like the long trigger on the LC9 or Kahr. My revolvers had better triggers. Might as well have a P11 Kel Tec. The XDs 9mm was heavier with less capacity felt top heavy and the grip did not feel as good. Needs an extension. Neither my Shield or the SR9c have malfunctioned. It would be possible to pocket carry the Shield but it is at the upper limit.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I'm a Ruger Fan boy or so I'm told, but I do have two Older(25+ y.o.) Smith 9's. I have the full size SR9, and have handled bout the 9C & 40C. If you don't mind the extra 4 ozs. For Three Extra rounds, I'd go with the 9C.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i carry a sr9c IWB. its nice easy to conceal. the gun itself is pretty nice. runs good. have not had much exprience with the shield.

10. Mouser

Mouser Member

I have a shield in 9mm and it is a terrific carry gun...in my cargo pants, I can even get a away with pocket carry depending on the situation. I don't have the Ruger so I can't make a good comparison, rather point out the features and benefits of the weapon I own. The Shield does not have the extra few rounds and statistically, you will only need those few rounds less than 5% of the time (or so I've read). The shield is light, thin and comfortable relatively speaking which I believe is absolutely essential...so that you carry it often! I think that is an underrated component of carry weapons...that is comfortable enough you want to carry it often.

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I think you are sort of comparing apples to oranges on this one, the Shield is a single stack very thin profile that in my honest opinion is great as a ccw, I own one in a 40 and love it, I can also shoot it quite well for a small pistol. The Ruger SR is a thicker gun due to the double stack mag, it will carry more ammo in the mag but also be fatter and not quite as concealable, my buddy has one of the SRs he likes it but doesn't really carry concealed at all. I would compare the Shield more to the LC9, they are both slim compact guns, compare the SR series to your Glocks, XD, Smith M&P lines. For the models you are inquiring about I would say they are both good it just depends on how large a frame you want, I go with the Shield simply because I am a fat man and it is easier for a fat man to conceal a skinny gun :D

12. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Look at the XDs too. My wife has one, and I'm shocked at that little thing's accuracy.

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Great starter choices.

Both are fine. It's a personal taste decision. A carry gun's like choosing a pair of pants...my style and desired fit should have little influence on yours.

I usually carry a single stack, so I'd lean toward the Shield. I actually had one. Was turned off by the tiny thumb safety (hard to de-activate), but everything else was great. I've got a couple XDs pistols I usually carry, in part because I often shoot the XDm platform. It's just what works for me. Lots of folks are fine carrying doublestacks as well...and if that thickness is no deterrant, the increase in capacity and grip/control can be substantial.

14. shorthairptr

shorthairptr New Member

I own a ruger sr9 and love it. It's TOO big to carry but shoots great. Only problem I had was due to poor ammo. You need to hold it & shoot it. The double stack magazine (holds 17 rounds) isn't for every one. Might be too thick for small hands

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The SR. Line is Concealable under heavier garments. I can carry mine in a shoulder rig under my Down vest or a thick work vest, but that's only 8-12 weeks a year here. It's a bit easier then a 5" 1911 to hide, but not by much.....

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Shot em both a few times and both are decent, reliable, and reasonably accurate. IMHO the smith feels a bit tighter, more refined, but I've always felt that Ruger pistols were on the "clunky" side.

Of course that's a personal preference, either would serve you fine.

Good luck

17. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Also I believe the shield is now offered in a version with no external safety. I'd consider trading mine for one of those as I'm a lefty and the safety is not ambi

18. Sm3lliot

Sm3lliot New Member

I've got a full sized SR9 that I really like. Both the M&P and Ruger line of hanguns are mid-high quality, the unfortunate fact of the matter is it's gonna be preferential. I hate hearing that because I like straight answers.
    Good luck, welcome to the forum.

19. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

uh.................

Attached Files:

20. GUN5L1NGER

GUN5L1NGER New Member

I actually own both a SR9 and a Shield 9. The reason I bought the Shield is for warm weather carry because the Ruger is too big and heavy. I use a hybrid iwb holster for both. Both are great guns and I've never had any problems with either.