Advice on what to get

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by xdm11chad, Oct 23, 2011.

1. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

Want a 1911 and I want a good one now what should I look for if my budget keeps me under a grand

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Colt, Kimber, and S&W all make sub 1k 1911's. As does Springfield Armory, and all of these get good reviews. Not to mention Remington's R1, and the newest in the game SR1911 by Ruger.

I'm researching the exact same thing you are, have been for almost a year and haven't made my first 1911 purchase yet :)

There are also other cheaper models. Mr. Wray is having a great time with his Hi Standard.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The colt is awesome. Oh wait im a colt addict:) so thats not fair. Another one is regent but sone people dont like them. Most colts are well over a grand though. Rock river arms are good to also. Not sure their price though. If you want to ask someone in particular about 1911s id ask canebrake. Now what are you wanting it for?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

In my quest to find the "Perfect" 1911 (and I'm still looking), I have come to the conclusion that buying the best one can afford is the way to go. Think about the basic 1911a1 and then add features that make it work great.
    "must have" include good sights, good trigger, good grip safety to avoid "hammer bite", grips.
    Then comes the "nice to have" features such as a longer mag release, magazine funnel, checkered fore strap, extended thumb safety.

I would start with a manufacturer that has a good track record (Colt, Springfield, etc...)

I would not overlook used pistols. I have sold a group for less than what I had paid new. Like a dummy, I sold a Dan Wesson for less than $650.00 once. But I have also purchased Ed Brown's for less than $1600.00.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thanks for the mention brother, i do love my high standard.. :) it just recently received its 1,000th round down range and still flawless performance

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats a hell of an accolade.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Yessir, ive been very pleased with it

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya iv got an origanal WWII 1911 usmc that has had god knows how many rounds put through before my great grandpa left her to me. Before you ask yes its legally in my possesion, Patton himself gave it to my great grandpa. At least thats the story. I know she still shoots and functions fine as heck. Iv put bout 750 rounds through her. I put her into "retirement" in my gun safe bout 3 years ago. Every may 15 i punch a few through her pipe just to commorate the Old Man.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thats a pretty nostalgic piece, pretty awesome

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'd give a left one for a vintage USMC issue.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya it is. In my hands it shoots just as good as either one of my 2009 gold cups and they have low profile neon night sights front and back. Plus iv spent alot of time laying the hammer pull and triggers back on the GCS's. The triggers break at 3.5 lbs exactly which is pretty dang awesome.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I wondered when youd show up cane. Especially since i mentioned you as the 1911 guru on here:)

14. kobel1up

kobel1up New Member

Have you looked up STI 1911's? I have read nothing but good things over on GT 1911 forum. I got the chance to hold one and they are built like a 1500 dollar 1911. You can buy a few for less then thousand. You could put them in the semi custom class. Or you can check out No name 1911, same deal as above.

15. Werminator

Werminator Member

I am also a new fan of the 1911 platform. I am leaning very heavily toward Ruger's offering in this class as I have 2 Ruger pistols with several thousand hiccup free rounds through each and my dad's lil' .22 Ruger went over 8k rounds hiccup free before its first cleaning! All this plus I think it is a beautiful looking gun... Almost as perty as Canebrake's wife... err.. umm...

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I have the 4012XSE & I also vouch for it. The light weight XSE Cane shows is high on my 'to buy' list, along with a 70 series repo, a 1991 Government Model, a .........:)

17. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

My choice is the Colt Gold Cup. (Bought used so less than 1K.)

18. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

I think I'm going for the kimber customII

19. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I hope you enjoy clearing jams;)

Signing out, Alpha1victor.