Advice on trigger adjustments

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dteed4094, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Lately 80% of my range time is shooting my 91/30s. The last couple of times I took my Stevens 200 and my 700 BDL just to see how well they are holding zero. Everyone knows how terrible the Mosin trigger is even at its best. When I switch to the more modern rifle they seem to be firing before I am completely ready. I've since adjusted the pull up on the Stevens but haven't had it back to the range. The last time I shot the 700 the pull was more like a touch. I bought the gun used but in new condition. What I'm worried about is if the trigger has been adjusted by a previous owner to create an unsafe rifle. I must admit all the negative attention to the Remington 700 has been considered. I am a Remington lover and have tried to ignore the negative publicity but it haunts me. I could probably get used to the light trigger but it is definately too light for hunting. Without looking I think the gun was made in 1974. Any suggestions on how to adjust it a little heavyer, or even if I should. The gun is a 243 and shoots a 5 round, cold shot group of .362 MOA.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

google adjusting the remington m700 trigger. there are several articles that address your problem. before you do any adjusting, do the safety tests they recommend after you adjust the trigger. could be after shooting the mosin that it just seems like the triggers are lighter and probably are compared to the mosin rifle. hope this helps.

3. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have to agree that it may be relative to the Mosin trigger.I did install a Timney on one of the Mosins. I will have to take them to the range and do another camparison. In a perfect world, all my triggers would be the same but, that is not possible. I have a milsurp trigger finger.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i adjust a trigger on one of my rifles that has such ill do a drop test to see if the sear will hold. ill make sure the gun is empty and close the bolt drop it from about waist height onto the carpeted floor so the butt hits first. if i can pull the trigger afterwards and it goes click im good to go.

the remington msnbc story is utter Bullsh@t. none of those rifles were sent to remington none of those rifles were later able to demonstrate the occurance with a remington armorer present. what causes the remington 700 trigger to go off closing the safety is the END USER adjusting the trigger weight way beyound the lowest safe setting on the trigger.

i was able to duplicate that condition on my old 700 by adjusting the trigger past its lower stop.

the 700 is NOT a defective gun just the incompetent user bubbaing the gun is. police are not above the title of bubbasmithing. ive seen more than a few bubba guns police "snipers" use at ranges i attend.

i ended up selling my 700 because i had issues loading the internal magazine. no other reason.

5. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I don't believe the gun is defective but I have reason to believe the trigger has been adjusted beyond the safe point. I have done the drop test several times with no disengagement of the sear. What I would like to know is, do the ADs occur after the trigger is pulled while the safety is on and when the safety is moved to the off position. I really like this rifle but I just want to be sure it will never go off inadvertantly. I can assure you the gun will always be pointed in a safe direction. I do believe that the negative publicity is B.S. but I also know accidental discharges do happen for what ever reason. I will disassemble the action from the stock and tighten up the pull until I'm confident there is no problem. Safe is good, Sorry sucks!

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

See if a local shop or gunsmith has a trigger pull scale.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think i am going to invest in buying a trigger gauge for my own use. this way i would know exactly what trigger pull weight i have.