Advice on Lancaster arms

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by RedWineKline, Mar 23, 2010.

1. RedWineKline

RedWineKline New Member

I was thinking of buying an AK47 from Lancaster Arms, in particular the AKM 47 TR model. Can anyone vouch for their quality?
    also, when looking at the rifles i see that some are advertised as having Milled Receivers, what exactly does this mean?

Thanks

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

3. deth502

deth502 New Member

lancaster arms makes good products.

but i suggest you look into it a lot more if you dont know the difference between a stamped and milled yet.

4. RedWineKline

RedWineKline New Member

Thanks, I will(am)... Did you see Megadeth when they came this past show?

my research turned out a verdict of stamped being more durable than milled, or so the Russians say.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. RedWineKline

RedWineKline New Member

"If the rug really ties the room together, it is a good investment"

6. gun papa

gun papa New Member

Lancaster "Russian Red" quality. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME. In my mind, Lancaster will never live down how this rifle passed muster.
    Attention to detail, sure, if all the details are wrong.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Gunpa, when was that rifle purchased? Did you complain? If yes, what was the result? That is pretty sad to send out a rifle like that. . . I'm curious to know what they did and how they responded. Thanks.

8. gun papa

gun papa New Member

It is my boss's gun. He bought it about a year -two years ago. He sent it back. Lancaster says they fixed it but it is still jacked up.

Anyone with pride would have sent him a new gun and buried their abortion somewhere.

I am sorry if the builder doesn't like the pics exposed. I am just high lighting their fabulous works. If that POS passes your QC, you should be proud of the exposure.

My point is. It is a new gun. You shouldn't have to fix it. A builder with any kind of pride could not let this poor a quality slip out by accident.

The gun shown in the pics is the reason I am soured to buying a gun sight unseen off the net. Your happy day ends up as a bummer when some guy doesn't care about the products that bear their name. No excuse.

Hopefully they have gotten their act together since.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm glad you pointed those problems out. I have heard of "minor" quality defects, such as twisted pistol grip/trigger guard and loose mag wells, but that gun exceeds those. I've shot Lancaster's AKs and just about fell in love, with both the 7.62 and 5.45. Since then I've improved some CAI builds (human factor also) to the point that I doubt a custom build would benefit me much. I've seen what Arsenals print @ 100 yds and my CAIs don't do much worse.

It's too bad Lancaster wouldn't just put out a new gun and use the other one for parts. That I don't quite understand. What problems does the weapon currently have? Did your boss send it back again. I would've.

10. deth502

deth502 New Member

nope :( couldnt go. had some friends that went though.

i would definitely not call them more durable. they switched to stamped because they were cheaper and easier to produce. the weight savings also came into account.

stamped is the most common by far, but milled ones are popping up more lately.

11. gun papa

gun papa New Member

The gun functions, but for $600? Hardly a show piece. Had I been the company peddling that turd, I would have gave him a hand picked gun with extras for his trouble and my shame. They did not.

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I hear ya. It's just a matter or the whole "Take Pride in Your Work, Boy!" Philosophy that a lot of us were raised upon. Oh well, there are plenty of folks out there willing to build you a quality AK.

Have even more fun. . . do it yourself!

13. gun papa

gun papa New Member

Damn, looks like Lancaster has some bigger problems.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fL2izajYoM&feature=youtube_gdata]YouTube - Lancaster replacement rifle also broken.[/ame]

They can't do nothing right.

14. Megaton

Megaton New Member

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Seems to be so. . . It's too bad when a potentially good, fairly small American company self destructs like that. They controlled their own destiny and they failed. They had a good customer base, good (decent) reviews and all at a price lower than similar competition.

I'll just stick to my CAI builds and modify them to my liking. The next one will have a re-barreling project included in the customization process. ;)

16. gun papa

gun papa New Member

My last was a SAIGA .223. Straight and ready to convert myself into an AK config of my choosing.

17. efaz1

efaz1 New Member

I find that unusual, Lancaster produces the top tier of AK's, I would venture to say the best "mass" distributor. From pictures I believe that rifle did not pass muster somehow, I know the owner personally, that would not pass his inspection standards.
    PS I do not sell Lancaster Arms AK's

18. efaz1

efaz1 New Member

With regards to Milled Vs Stamped, Most people consider the milled "sturdier", however the Russians don't care for it and I'll share why, if you have an opportunity to watch very slow motion video from certain angles you can actually see the receiver flex in a wringing out a rag fashion, stamping allows this action where as milled theoretically is absorbing these stresses internally in the metal and stock, some speculate that the torquing allows it to be more accurate, less likely to break, and absorbing some minute amount of recoil. I could buy this debate, but the ultimate test is: all the countries out there and one was responsible for the milled. This is a fire-filled debate among some groups, I am not familiar with any other advantage specifically called in these debates. (BTW The other side says the flip/flop argument)

19. gun papa

gun papa New Member

Somehow it did pass muster. Those are REAL picks of a Russian Red Lancaster made gun.

20. efaz1

efaz1 New Member

Sad...and what surprises me more is the fact that he didn't replace it, might have been having a bad day or something, I actually sell across the isle from Lancaster at the crossroads of the west gun show, and I don't ever recall hearing anything remotely like this story....not doubting, but merely pointing out it is not standard business, I feel sorry for the owner though. Hopefully any remaining are not serious.