Advice on an upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ctshooter, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

So I am looking to either purchase or put together an upper. I am thinking a 14.5" with the comp welded so I don't have to worry about a stamp. Mid length gas system. The questions I have are.. What twist, and why? Any particular uppers to stay away from? I am also trying to keep it light. It will be going on a stag lower with a ctr stock

2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...led-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I have this one and it is extremely light

Attached Files:

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

In a perfect world, there would be an abundance of quality 14.5-16" ML uppers with 1:8 twist barrels. That is the ideal twist in my opinion (shoots almost everything really well), but unfortunately you don't get to live in that perfect world. The vast majority are either 1:9 or 1:7. So you may need to decide which better suits your needs. Either answer can be plenty good.

On the cheap, I think M&A parts inc has some good stuff to offer. Complete barreled uppers (sometimes even 1:8 I think) for like $450 with a decent BCG and CH included.

For a little more, shop around at PSA and BCM. PSA is probably where you'll get the most bang for your buck IMO. That's why they have so much of my money. BCM is a little trendier and offers great products with quick service.

I wouldn't bother with anyone else. There might be other good options, but these three have solid track records and extremely fair prices.

4. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Just went and talked with LGS and I think I am going to go with a stag. 14.5" pined and welded comp, 1:7 chrome lined. $535 ish. With low profile gas block and a quad rail.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

1x7? Most stags are 1x9.....what kind of comp rail and price?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive never understood going 14.5 then tacking on a muzzle device to hit 16" why give up 1.5 inches of barrel if your not going to sbr it??

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

My 14.5" BCM build is noticeably lighter and tighter than my 16" DD. Shoots as well or better for me too, BTW. Both are midlengths, both are excellent guns.

The ideal 'do-it-all' AR is probably a 16" ML. No arguments there. That's just sort of the design that does everything well enough. But I do love my 14.5". If I could take only one of my guns to survive the zombie/robot/alien apocalypse, I'm actually liking my $1400 build over my $2000 DD. I value the compactness as well as the weight...just a shade north of 6.5lbs...with a red dot, BCM BCG and ambi CH, and BADlever included.

16" middy is probably the ideal/versatile/vanilla option, but 14.5 can be pretty cool too.

Build one my friend, and I suspect you may become a convert.

BCM 14.5 + Vortex Sparc
    [​IMG]

DD M4v3 + EoTech XPS 2-0
    [​IMG]

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont like the idea of permanent anything on a part that is supposed to be removable.

ive shot 14.5 sbr rifles and i cant tell the diff tween it and a 16" barrel.

im not saying you shouldnt do it or are dumb for doing it i just dont understand it heh

9. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

There is no difference between a 16" barrel and a 14.5" barrel as far as accuracy is concerned. In my professional opinion you should stay away from 14.5" barrels and stick to 16". Of course 10.5" and 7.5" are good to go as well. See the bottom of my signature.

10. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I have a 14.5 barrel with the welded on flash suppressor. I wished I would of just got the 16 because you can't change out the gas block. To modify or change something on your barrel later on your going to hate that problem

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm a fan of the 16" barrel as well. With midlength gas, a lightweight barrel profile and the removable muzzle device of your choosing you have a flexible, maneuverable and reliable configuration. I can't see painting yourself into that ugly legal corner just to save 1.5" (unless you're in a ban state that already requires a permanent muzzle device, then of course why not go as short as you can).

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Okay, this makes no sense Quentin. I see no ugly corner.

You sir, have failed to account for BRD. Count me among the afflicted that tends to have a half dozen ARs at any given moment, 3-5 of them being designated 'keepers'. Within that formula, exists a perfectly reasonable justification for a 14.5" ML with a fixed flash suppressor.

I'm loving that gun. It does everything well and generally performs equal to the three 16" middies I have. But you're right...16" ML is sort of the perfect vanilla recipe, if you're going to depend on one AR to do it all.