Advice on an old Mauser

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by BwanaDoc, Sep 2, 2010.

1. BwanaDoc

BwanaDoc New Member

I have an old (not sure how old, but old) long barrel Mauser that was my dads. It wasn't stored very well and is rusted some. Would like some advice on what sort of refinishing I should do/have done. I've done a little hand bluing work so I'm not a complete novice, but this gun is special to the family. I would like to give the gun to my brother as a present. Thanks! I enjoy this forum very much.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Welcome aboard.

Please post some pictures, so we know what you have.

3. BwanaDoc

BwanaDoc New Member

Thanks. Good idea, I will do that.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Many here have experience refinishing firearms and I'm sure will be willing to help.

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I've been restoring old milsurps for several years and will be glad to help in any way I can.. Pictures are a requirement though...

6. BwanaDoc

BwanaDoc New Member

Here are some pics

Please let me know if you need more detail.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  7. BwanaDoc

BwanaDoc New Member

Well, that didn't work so well. Let's try this.

Attached Files:

8. Cpt-Hotpants

Cpt-Hotpants New Member

In my opinion just cleaning and making sure you kill the rust would be much better than refinishing it. It will be original and hold its value in the unfortunate event that you may have to sell it.

Clean it and don't modify it, there are not many in that good of condition floating around and are very nice pieces of history. Family and Military history.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I agree with the Captain. Keep it original.

Here's a little trick; spray some G96 on the badly rusted areas, then take an older nickel and rub with the edge of the coin. It should clean the really bad rust and kill it.

10. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Nice 1891 Argentine. For its day, made to high standards when it comes to machine work and etc.

If I had your rust problem, I'd use my Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner. It is very effective on rust and will not harm the metals blue. I'd apply it, let it set for awhile to dissolve/loosen the rust and if necessary use the older nickle coin to help remove rust. In place of the nickle, Brass version of steel wool would work OK too and I've used extra fine steel wool too, but be very gentle with it, no hard rubbing.

After the Blue Wonder, then apply a good oil to it.

11. BwanaDoc

BwanaDoc New Member

That sounds good. Thank you all for your advice. What is a good oil for gun coating?

12. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Good oil to use.......lots of debate on a good oil.....personally I just use a light weight synthetic motor oil on my gun metal most of time, such as Mobil 1 for example.

13. BwanaDoc

BwanaDoc New Member

That I've got in the garage already, so no added expense which is good. I'd gathered from other forums there was a lot of discussion on good oil. Thanks again for all your help.