Advice on a new Semi-Auto purchase

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BigR24, Nov 12, 2007.

1. BigR24

BigR24 New Member

The time has come for me to purchase a new semi-automatic. The only problem is I can't make up my mind.

I want something in .40S&W or .45ACP (prefered), around $600-700, and reliable (will NOT be used for Concealed Carry). I don't care about looks. I don't care about how I can dress it up. I just want something that is great for recreational shooting and will do the job when it comes to self defense. I am open for any and all suggestions and criticisms, and please don't turn this into an "XD sucks, get a glock" post, I just want your honest opinion on what is the best you have experienced for the criteria I am looking for. And yes, I know I won't know which is right for me until I can shoot each one, I just want your opinion on what has proven itself to you and why.

Here is a short sample of some of the guns that are on my "Interested In" list:

S.A. XD.45ACP
    S&W M&P.40SW
    Taurus PT1911 (I like 1911's but am not willing to pay more than $700 at this time)

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You can get a base Kimber Custom II for about $700. I have a Compact II that has been reliable for years. I haven't had a single misfeed or stovepipe. The trigger feels really nice and replacement mags are cheap and easy to find.

3. henryk

henryk New Member

Taurus PT1911...

"Taurus PT1911 (I like 1911's but am not willing to pay more than $700 at this time)"

I understand that the MSRP is $703.00 but one does not have to pay that much in reality. I have seen discounts of up to $150.00 for a new one.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

New semi

I am partial to the Smith and Wesson. I would look at the M&Ps. Most important is to find a gun that fits your hand. Some folks like the feel of a Glock. You can hardly go wrong with an XD, very natural feel. I just cannot get over the history of Taurus. They made some very questionable products in years past. With that said, they would not be in business if they did not make some drastic improvements. I would rather spend my money on a US made gun, when possible.

5. Bidah

Bidah New Member

You know, I have been wanting to try out that new Taurus 24/7 OSS when it finally hits the street.

I have the XD9, and I have shot a friends XD45. I would like to try out the M&P as well. Ooooh.. and I really want to get a Walther P99... I have heard good things about the Taurus 1911 as well.

Every one that you have listed is good as far as I know. The only one I have shot is the XD45, which I like, but I like my XD9 just a tad better. Of the three, I would get the XD, simply because I have shot it, and it is in .45. I don't have any .40's, and I really don't want to add another caliber..

-Bidah

6. henryk

henryk New Member

Yes, understandable. I am dealing with .40 S&W and .380 ACP and do not want to add any other cal to that. Adding more calibers at this point in time just adds to confusion I believe. Confusion adds to spending more money than I can afford to spend. So what is the answer? Pick a caliber and find a handgun that suits your needs and budget. lol Never an easy answer. :)

7. Bidah

Bidah New Member

No, it isn't an easy answer. Since I reload, I want it as simple as possible. I have stuck with 9mm and .45acp, but have thought one time or another about getting .357Sig, 10mm, .400 Corbon and .45 Super. Then I think about reloading and having to stock more brass.. and well there that goes. And for two of those I would also have to stock another bullet as well...

Nope never easy, but we do agree. Find what you want and shoot the snot out of it. I started with a 1911 when an Uncle started me on one, and gave me one as a present. Shot that pistol for years with the supplied reloading equipment. After too many years to name, I branched out to the CZ-75B. I fell in love with that pistol. I actually run it better than a 1911. Since then I have tried 12 or so other pistols, but I keep coming back to these two. I did get the XD last year to try, and it has become a favorite as well, although that CZ is still the queen of my heart (even though it is DA/SA). I just don't utter those words around my 1911.. :)

-Bidah

8. billt

billt New Member

[​IMG]

How about a nice "Baby" Desert Eagle in .45 ACP? They are all steel, inexpensive, (under $500.00 new), run like a top, hold 10+1, and are accurate as hell. They can't be beat for the money! Bill T.

9. henryk

henryk New Member

That sounds very good but would constitute adding another caliber for me. I ordered the Taurus Millennium Pro .40 S & W Model 140SSP last night. I am also waiting for the Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S & W in subcompact version that is to start shipping in January 08. Dang. So many choices, so little cash. lol

10. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I'm happy with my Sig Pro 2022 in 40 S&W. I can even change out the barrel to the hot 357 Sig without changing any other parts, including the magazines. You might also want to do some research on the new modular P250.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  11. henryk

henryk New Member

Now there is another choice available. I just got back from another look at the Ruger site and find that I may have to add another caliber after all. That would be 9MM if my interest continues in the Ruger SR9. That is one good looking pistol and has some of the features of the M1911 for those that like that. I really need to get my hands on one this weekend and see if I will be adding another caliber or not. :)

12. tekarra

tekarra New Member

Have you had a look at the cZ40 compact? They go for around $450. You may also want to look at the RIA or High Standard Compacts in .45. The RIA is under $400 while the High Standard is just over $400.

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

9 mm - CZ75B
    .45acp - Springfield MilSpec
    I won't recommend a .40, because I have no experience with it. The CZ 75B is the way to go in 9mm unless you want polymer, in which case go with a GLOCK 19. In .45acp, there are tons of choices and I favor the 1911 style. If I was just getting into it, I'd go with a Para Ordinance LTC which is a Commander size pistol. Full size, either the Springfield Armory MilSpec or the Para full size.
    Good luck and have fun in your quest. :cool:

14. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Recommend that you look at Kimber. You can find a Pro Carry (NIB) for under $700. Know you don't want to carry concealed, but it is a great shooter with the 4". What a gun.
    Other options are the RIA coming in under $400. If you just want a GI (almost;) ) version of the 1911, you cannot go wrong. This is not the "Llama" throw away 1911 that we saw when growing up. This is a quality firearm, and people have discovered it. The prices on them have gone from just over 300 to 400 in 12 months. Fit and finish are good, throw some aftermarket grips on and the sights are horrible so if you want it for anything other than plinking would have to upgrade. A few models available, the 5" is outstanding. Don't know anything about the others.

The XD. Great gun. Reliability and mag capacity are outstanding. And it feels good to shoot. Great choice at $500

Glock 22. Same as the XD, the .40 version of the full size glock. Goes bang EVERY time you pull the trigger. It is not as comfortable to shoot in .40 (IMO) as the XD is in 45. I have not fired any Glock model in .45, so I can't comment on them. My assumption is they are the of the same reliability.

15. henryk

henryk New Member

I totally agree with the G22 choice. It is the best pistol I own at the moment but not even close to a CCW model if that is what one is looking for. I use mine for home protection and love to fire it on the range. At 1000 rounds in the past two months it has been 100% perfect.

16. Tanker60A3

Tanker60A3 New Member

USP Tactical 45

My taste sometimes run expensive, but a USP Tactical 45 sounds like it would be right up your alley. A used one might fall into your budget range.
    John Q.

17. mr.freezze

mr.freezze New Member

Ive had and operated many guns since i was kid. When I bought my first legal gun i did a practice of what they had at the range. One of the guns they had at the range was a kimber. after shooting that gun it was like shooting like never before.the trigger pull was much like a hairpin pull.try shootin round before you spend 700 bucks on a pistol...

18. Defender

Defender New Member

Be sure to check out the Kimber Pro BP Ten II, chambered for .45 ACP. The MSRP is only 666.00, which means you can pick it up for probably at least a hundred dollars less than that at a reputable gun shop.

It holds a flush-fitting THIRTEEN round magazine. With one in the chamber, that's fourteen rounds of .45 ACP firepower:

[​IMG]

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ten/probpten.php

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  19. Samhain

Samhain New Member

S&W M&P.40
    I have it in compact.
    I love it. The only cons I have heard about it is
    that is does not have a safty, and is single action only.
    These things don't bother me. Shoots nice, reliable, accurate.
    I really like the three dot sights.
    I personaly can't say one bad thing about it.
    Bonus: S&W offered 2 free MAGS and a $50 rebate, I believe this promo
    is still going on.

20. Defender

Defender New Member

It has a trigger safety, like the Glock and XD.

Single action only is a pro to me.