Advice needed

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by OUDAN, Nov 26, 2012.

1. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

New to the forum guys I need some help trying to purchase my first CC gun. My state OK is open carry but I would like to conceal still. I am 5'6 140 so I'm a small guy so I don't need a hand cannon. I am down to a 9 or 40. I have looked at HK, SW MP, Glock, Ruger everything I need some help. Everyone seems to have a Glock but why? They seem bulky to me. Just need some general help.

2. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

You need to go to a gun shop and hold all different brands to see what feels the most comfortable to you. Perhaps you have a range by your house that rents guns.....then you could shoot a few that you were thinking about.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum where "everyone does not have a Glock".

We have an "Introductions" area if you haven't stopped by there to say "Hi".

I would say get to the nearest gun shop or sports store and do some pistol handling. It has been said that your self defense weapon should be comforting, not comfortable. But if you practice with the same that you carry, then look at comforting as well as comfortable. 9mm or the 40 should work.

4. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

Then consider how you'll carry it. I'm not much bigger than you at 5'7" and 165#, and I prefer cross-draw or appendix carry, but your mileage may vary.

5. TX45

TX45 New Member

I agree with Zombiegirl.

Some popular subcompacts in 9mm & .40SW for concealed carry are SR9c, SR40c, LC9, 709, M&P SHIELD in 9mm and in .40SW.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

A couple to look at.
    • Kimber Solo in 9mm
    • Springfield Armory XDs (single stack slim) in 45ACP
    • Smith and Wesson Shield in 9mm / 40 cal

Zombie Girl has it right, go to Local Gun Store (LGS) and try for fit, feel.
    Be sure and consider the right holster.
    The holster is the major part of your carry system

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

all of the brands you say you've looked at are good reliable pistols. caliber is really just choice. i say a 9 because its cheaper ammo. which mmeans more practice time. but both calibers are good. i have both. out of the pistols you held did any of them stand out more than others? the safeties, or looks, the way it felt in your hand? theses are things to considerwhen shopping. also think about size, a small 9mm like an ruger lc9 is easy to conceal, but is not going to be a lot of fun to shoot all the time. perhaps the ruger sr9c would be a better choice. or even the SA XD sub-compact. might be a happy middle ground.. its your choice to try and narrow it down more. then we would be glad to share with you our experiences with the guns you are deciding between.

8. 2ndfan

2ndfan New Member

I am thinking about a Ruger LC9 for concealed carry. I usually carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II which I love, but can be a little big on those warm California afternoons! I fondled a LC9 today at my LGS. I gotta say, it's a very nice, small, easily concealable handgun, that appears to be very well constructed. I may buy it!

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not that small but the double stack Glocks are too bulky for me. I traded may G19 for a Ruger SR9c. The SR40c is the same size. If you want thin, look at the Shield or the Sig 938. Kahr also makes some nice thin pistols.

10. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

11. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

I guess it comes down to what fits my hand I was really just curious about if there is a difference in all these guns I mean HK is about double a Glock.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i sat here a typed a few things. then deleted them. i just didnt have a real good answer. a sig is a sig, a glock a glock, an HK an HK. if thats the design you like, and a price you are okay with do it. if its not. look to something else. there are a ton of companies that are making good reliable firearms of all shapes, sizes, and calibers. because we as human beings tend to like different things. some companies charge more. some less. some charge more because they have better quality control, or perhaps better warrenties. or maybe a certain pistol is harder to produce. again it just comes down to you. now if you decide between a couple. perhaps making a pro/ cons list. comparing capacity, price, caliber, size. ... kind of reminds me of car buying...

13. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

Give a "fondle" to the Bersa BP9CC and the Bersa Thunder9 UltraCompact Pro both in 9mm. Awesome quality and reliability at a reasonable cost!

14. jreis

jreis New Member

I second the Solo and the Bersa selections mentioned already. I've owned Glock, Sig, S&W, in many different calibers and configurations, and I must say I prefer my EAA Witness P over them all. They offer both 9mm and 40 S&W to meet those requirements, and the price point is well below those mentioned in you original post. They can be had for $300 shipped to FFL if you do your due diligence. The most comfortable feeling firearm I have held, all those that hold it agree.

Best bang for your buck on the market today.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

With a good shoulder holster from Galco, or other big name makers, you can conceal any weapon you like.

I have a vertical rig that will conceal a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Redhawk .44 mag under a hooded sweatshirt.

My Galco Miami special will allow me to carry a SIG 226 under a light weight vest.