Advice needed for Glock modifications for practical shooting

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by PrinC, May 16, 2012.

1. PrinC

PrinC New Member

Hello guys,

I have been trying to figure out which combination to use so here is a scenario hope you can assist with. I own a G35 and use it for sport shooting. I have realised that if the pistol is not held firmly when shooting it flips a bit. However, I met a friend who has now installed a heavy duty tungsten guiderod to reduce recoil. I intend doing the same but was wondering if I were to add a magwell to the pistol if the 5.5oz magwell would be better than a 6.7oz magwell.I do not want to buy both magwells to try so if anyone has any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated. Buying the tungsten guiderod is a must. The question is which magwell would be best for this change.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

2. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Sorry I have no advice, but I do have a question for you. Your friend has a tungsten guide rod, did it really help with the muzzle flip? I do own a G35 and was wondering about a different guide rod! I love my G35.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The mag well will probably be nice to have. I don't think it will help much with muzzle lift. I would go for the lighter one and see if it makes a difference. Don't want your glock getting into the 1911 weight range. Lol

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

if they are the same size, I'd go with the lighter one.....

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

If muzzle flip is an issue, I would think muzzle weights would be what you want. Are they even made for Glocks? And/or a drilled barrel & slide. Is that allowed in your sport?

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  6. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Hell no!! You don't want to carry a brick around!!!:). LOL

7. PrinC

PrinC New Member

Yes it helped with muzzle flip. I used his G35 at our last tournament and the flip was certainly reduced. He has a 17 lb spring on his guiderod but just told me he wants a 15lb spring. Hope this helps.

8. PrinC

PrinC New Member

The heavy duty tungsten guiderod was designed to replace the factory plastic guiderod and also add weight to the front of the firearm to reduce muzzle flip.It is a very heavy guiderod. It is allowed in IPSC matches, just that it will be in Open Class.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Ah, tungsten. I got it confused with titanium. I couldn't figure why a light rod would improve things. Thanks.

10. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

the factory guide rod on a glock is 10.35 grams roughly tungsten is 43.5 they say its supposed to help im thinking about getting one also.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Switch to an XDM 5.25 and forget about modifying the Glock.

12. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

why not own both when you want to shoot at paper targets use the xdm when you want a selfdefense gun carry your glock;)