advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by endobro, Dec 3, 2013.

1. endobro

endobro New Member

I got to shoot a couple different guns this weekend for the first time and had some fun. Looking to invest in a handgun of my own as my girlfriends family likes to go out and shoot. I have done some research but still not sure what I want. I got to shoot a 9mm and a 22. I liked the 9mm and I think that's the round I'd like to use also my girlfriend likes the 9mm as well. This will be home defense and possibly concealed carry if I decide to go through the classes.

I have picked out a few models but from what I'm told you really need to go hold/shoot to get a good feel for what is comfortable

Below is my list im not sure if my prices are completely accurate but I tried to find a range of prices. Does anyone have other recommendations or ones in this list I should avoid. Thanks in advance.

H&K P30 $860 (probably not going to even look at because of price)
    S&W M&P 9 $570
    S&W M&P compact
    sig sauer p250 $500
    Baretta M9 $550
    Glock G19 $600

2. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

All of those are great choices, however the sig is going to be little more then 500.

The G-19 is an excellent weapon, especially for first time handgun owner.

Like you mentioned, I would find a range that rents firearms and try them out, see what fits your hand and you shoot accurately

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

You might consider renting and shooting something from the Ruger SR series. I'm very impressed with my SR9c & SR45! I paid $469.00 & $399.00 respectively.

4. G30USMC

I agree, the Ruger makes an excellent line..... My wife has a Ruger SR9c and loves it

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Guns that you can conceal easily are not a lot of fun at the range. I would consider a full size pistol with a 5" barrel until you are confident you can carry a gun safely. Then you can buy a gun you can conceal easily. Guns that are easily concealed are carried a lot and shot a little.

I would look for a pistol that can be fired in single action. Unless you are shooting IDPA or any of the run and gun games a double action only gets boring in a hurry. Double actions are meant to be combat accurate, not bullseye shooters.

Most people here have several pistols because each of them is a tool for a specific purpose.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  6. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Get a .357 revolver with a 4" barrel. You can shoot .357 and .38 special. Revolvers are great for learning how to shoot and very dependable. good luck

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

9mm is a good self defense cartridge. 22 is a great range gun. I would be looking at something from Ruger. The SR line has some really good guns in it. I personally have a P95. That is a 9mm. The P series all have exposed hammers. The SR series are striker fired kind of like a Glock. But don't forget about the Springfield XD series and the Smith & Wesson M&P Series. All very good guns.

8. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I was going to recommend a Ruger SR9 also. Good price and Ruger also has a rep. for great customer service should should have any issues.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As an instructor, I've seen too many beginners shun the revolver and go right to the semi-auto and wonder why they can't hit the target.

The simple answer is that most do not learn the basics first.

That is like getting your license and then buying an F-1 race car and wonder why people drive better than you. Some things have to be trained.

I would get the 4" revolver in .357 Magnum and start with .38 Specials in it.

With a revolver, you are less likely to "spray and pray".

And no matter what you get first, get some proper training from a certified instructor before hand. Not your uncle who owns a lot of guns.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

if ?

Unless your girlfriend’s family who "likes to go out and shoot" are able and willing to give you a through grounding in proper firearm handling, I’d really recommend the classes.

Past that, keep in mind the cost and availability of feeding the firearms. One can shoot both .40 & 9mm with a change of barrels on a .40 Glock, and as previously mentioned the .357 revolvers can also shoot .38. The stock Glock doesn’t take +P or +P+ ammunition, or lead bullets. It may be wise to select a pistol or revolver that can give you some flexibility of ammo. Take a look at what size ammo is on the shelves, or read the threads here about the ammo shortage to get a better idea of the limitation. Whatever the current availability of ammo is now, there will be reoccurring shortages caused by reoccurring firearm tragedies and the resulting regulations.

The .22 will be cheaper and more fun to shoot. However I’ve found the difference between shooting my .22 and the G19 to be HUGE as far transferable marksmanship, and that’s even keeping the difference between bull’s-eye and self-defense shooting in mind.

11. endobro

endobro New Member

Thank you for all the helpful responses. I have a ex instructor offering to go shooting with me just have to cover range cost for me and the rounds. He also offered to teach me on his 22 for cost savings on rounds.

I can understand using a revolver first but I can't invest in something that I will want to replace soon after. I do however agree that I should purchase a full size. I'm leaning towards the sig and s&w but still will be doing some research.

Why is a DA less accurate then a SA

Also I will correct my statement about concealed carry class. I plan on taking the class along with my girlfriend for the education. But I do not know if I will carry

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To a trained and effective handgun user, there is no difference with the accuracy (with a quality handgun). The DA pull on some inexpensive handguns can affect the smooth trigger actuation required.

This is one of the things taught in training.

And on wanting to get rid of the revolver later, well....
    I've got my first revolver (an old S&W Mdl 15). That is one thing that you can always go back to should you need to confirm that your execution of the basics has not slipped.

13. endobro

endobro New Member

I ended up getting the S&W M&P 9 after holding several different ones it felt the most comfortable.

14. G30USMC

Congratulations !

Give us a range report once you complete a range trip ;)

15. AR10

AR10 New Member

First and most important, what does the GFs dad shoot?

If they go to Chevy car shows every weekend and you go buy a Ford, how do you think dad would look at that?

Some of my reply is tongue n cheek, but if you want to fit in, don't be the odd man out.

Glock 19 is a great gun, however, on your list, it is the sidearm with a short and easy trigger pull. It is also the gun very easily modified to be a light trigger pull. Because of this, and no built in external safety other than your training, or the lack of it, dangerous in the wrong hands,

Remember of all handguns, always:

Muzzle ALWAYS pointed in a safe direction or on target.

Finger ALWAYS off the Trigger till on target and you are ready to shoot.

Firearm ALWAYS empty of ammo, till you are ready to use the firearm.

Be safe

(Edit) you posted during my reply, enjoy your gun. As this is your first gun, never sell it. As you get older, you will become something that is foreign to you now. Sentemental

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  16. hq357

hq357 New Member

The glock 19 was the pistol that started it all for me. To me it felt like.
    "this is what a polymer pistol should be" I soon found out about 30 round glock magazines and was hooked I found out about the kel tec sub 2000 carbine that uses glock mags and was impressed! Ive always felt glock to be the original king of plastic pistols although springfield armory makes a really nice xd I like those alot too id recomen caring and xdm since it has 2 safties one on the backstsrap and one on the trigger the stainless ones look nice :)

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Smith & Wesson make great guns. As you become more experienced, you'll learn for yourself how so much of selecting a gun is how it feels to you.

But beware, handguns are like Lays potato chips. You can't have just one. I would suggest your next acquisition be a good 22. If you want the same form factor as your M&P, S&W makes an excellent 22 in the M&P line.

18. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

I'm more of a semi-auto guy myself but I have to agree with this advice for a new shooter.

19. scott_see

scott_see New Member

Tell that to my Glock 26. Still love shooting that thing.

20. scott_see

scott_see New Member

+1 to that. I had a revolver for 20 years before I got my first pistol.