Advice Choosing My First Handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by s1mp13m4n, Mar 8, 2013.

1. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n New Member

Hello everyone. I am in the market for my first handgun. I am looking for a "jack of all trades" gun. I realize there is no one perfect gun. What I mean by jack of all trades is I only have money for one gun and I want it for many uses such as:
    concealed carry
    apartment defense
    fun practicing at the range
    made in the USA
    balance between power, cost of ammo, and recoil

Thank you for the advice and help.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Glock covers all those. It's also a good basic gun anyone could take care of and it is almost always 100% reliable. The model 26 and 27 work for conceal, and are still fun to shoot at the range.

3. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I didn't think Glock was made in the USA?

To OP, I'd go with Smith & Wesson.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Ruger SR9C or S&W Shield. Made in the USA and either one covers everything else on yor list.

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

They just opened a plant in Georgia

6. Jericho1911u22

Jericho1911u22 New Member

First off I wouldn't worry to much where it is made. As a law a percentage of the gun has to be manufactured in the usa anyway. Pick up every gun you see and see what feels the best to you. I bought a glock because that is what the cops have here. Boy was that a mistake. The trigger pull sucks and I couldn't hit anything with it. Then I picked up a baby eagle and it felt like it was meant to be in my hand. I bought it on the spot. I recently traded off my glock but don't plan on ever getting rid of my baby eagle.

7. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

My first was a Glock 21, it was a great gun and regret selling it. It was my repossession partner :D
    My advice is and will be to visit a range or two and rent some different models that interest you and choose the one that you take to the most naturally. I'm of the opinion that lots if guns, all diff sizes and calibers meet your needs and shooting as many as you can before making your purchase is a wise way narrow down your list of possible candidates.

8. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n New Member

The reason I was thinking about made in the USA is I was thinking the gun may have better quality control and service if something ever went wrong. Could I save money by getting a Taurus or is it not worth the few bucks you save?

9. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I personally don't own a Taurus. Some of my range buddies have been very disappointed in them lately, and another buddy who works at a local pawn shop that is more a gun store than pawn shop told me they've had a great deal of issues straight out of the box with Taurus, and decided to no longer carry them. I've not experienced any issues as I wouldn't own one, but that's just what I've seen lately.

As for made in the USA, Smith and Wesson is a good pick. They have a knock off design of the Glock in the Sigma line (so close they got sued by Glock and had to pay a settlement for it)

Glock, if anyone who looks at their gun can see, is based locally here in Smyrna Georgia. They did open a plant here very recently. Colt and Remington also make excellent handguns.

And finally, Taurus is made in Brazil I believe, if memory serves. If not Brazil, definitely South America in that area. I think I remember reading they were based in Porto Alerti or something like that.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Borrow, rent, try friends pistols till you find something you like.

Everybody's different. I'm big, so no problem carrying a

full size Beretta or 45.

But I'm afraid of Glocks.

11. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That's good advice, and typically what I post when someone asks, however given the requirement you are looking to maintain, there is a much smaller variety to choose from. My local range charges a $10 rental fee to use any gun in the rental cabinet, you just buy ammo. And you can trade it out over and over and over until you've fired all 125 or so they have for rent. However, based on just what is on the top of my head the Glock 26 and 27 cover most all your wishes.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Try various guns before buying. If you can not shoot it accurately and comfortable, then it is not for you. A one for all gun must be able to function and fit each role it plays. For caliber, the same advise. I recommend the compact USP in 40. Compact because of concealed carry. If you open carry, go with full size. 40 because it is a manageable round that not subsonic like a 45, but has a bigger bullet than a 9mm. Plus you get an more rounds in the magazine than a 45. It is polymer to stand any weather conditions and environments. It has a safety and decocker, and fires and can be carried in double action or single action. These features allow you carry various ways to meet the jack of all trades criteria. The three dot sights are high quality, unlike the crappy Glock sights that break easy. Plus you can fire the gun limp wristed if you are injured or in awkward position. You can not do this with many Glock 17 or 19. Finally you are getting quality German engineering from a company that sells its products to militaries and police forces around the world. A USP is a fine battle pistol and defensive pistol.

13. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Hard to beat a 1911,, can be had in several calibers and various mfg.'s at reasonable prices for a first time buyer, possibly a .357 revolver may fill your needs better than a self loader. One can shoot less expensive .38 specials in the .357 and a 4 inch modelk can be carried discreetly with the right rig,, good luck and have fun shopping.

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Ruger. SR9c or SR40c

Made in USA
    More accurate than Glocks

Priced better than anything of similar quality by a couple hundred bucks = more $ for bullets

15. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I personally won't own another Ruger DA pistol.. More accurate then a Glock..? Highly debatable and inflammatory to say the least...
    My personal exp says otherwise, and the XD's are better then Rugers and as good if not better then Glocks.. I've owned two of all three and 1000's of rounds in each and everyone who shoots with me will tell you the same.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  16. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

I would strongly advise that someone buying a first handgun look at S&W K-frame revolvers in .38 Special or .357 Magnum. Simple to use and maintain, typically as accurate as the shooter can be, nearly impossible (all right, autoloader guys, I did say "nearly") impossible to jam, and reliable even if you are forced to take a less-than-optimal grip. They can also be a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

17. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Now there's some good advice!! :)

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

To the OP-

Be very leery of the "my gun is better than your gun" crowd. All of the major manufactures make great guns for all kinds of budgets, fit, feel, caliber, etc.

If you want something for self defense and regular shooting, you are probably going to want either a 9mm, 40, or 45 for semi-autos; or a 357 in a revolver. The least expensive ammo (means more shooting) will be the 9mm and the 357 (which can shoot inexpensive 38, or very powerful 357).

Get your hands on as many different guns as possible and see what feels right. If you pick up a gun and it feels awkward in your hands, then in all likelihood, you are not going to shoot it well nor enjoy it. That's really the only reason I don't care for Glocks or Barettas.

If it feels good, then see if you can shoot it somewhere. If you can't shoot it, then don't be afraid to buy it and take a chance. You can always trade it in or sell it later. In today's market, that is very easy to do.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  19. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

If you want quality thats made in usa buy a ruger

20. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Just be sure you are also comfortable with the type of trigger. Case in point, my wife loved the feel of her Sig P250 but it was double action only - she hated the trigger!

So try striker fire, single action and double action to aid in your decision.

Good luck and have fun on your journey!