Advice and suggestions

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by SmallHands, Sep 24, 2013.

1. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Thank you all.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/3e7KfJpqydc[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/ImVe2a74rhE[/ame]

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

You're doing good for a new shooter.

Just 3 small things:

Grip the pistol a little higher. The web between your index finger and thumb needs to higher, get it closer to the Beaver tail.

Squeeze the trigger. It looks like you were jerking the shots low.

It also looks like you are anticipating recoil. Don't do that, there is nothing you can do to keep the gun recoiling. Just get used to the way it feels.

Very good for a new shooter!! Glad to see you out on the range.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

In addition to what Kryptar19 said, the big thing for me is trigger control and proper grip. I can't see your trigger control because of the angle. No problem. Just make sure you do a slow, steady squeeze, keep the trigger pulled to the rear until the recoil has subsided, then slowly let it out until you get to the "reset." The reset is the point in which the pistol is cocked again and can fire. You can experiment with this safely in your house. Just point the pistol in a safe direction, triple check to make sure its not loaded and neither is the magazine, and slowly press the trigger to the rear. Keep it held back, and rack the slide to re-engage the striker mechanism, then let out the trigger until its to the point where you can refire. It might take some experimentation to figure it out exactly.

Again, check, double check, and triple check the firearm and magazine to make sure its unloaded before doing this.

Here's a couple good videos you can watch to get an idea. The first one is a good drill to do to work on accuracy. The second and third ones are grip specific. The third is pretty long but he's a good guy and entertaining at times. The fourth video covers grip, sight picture, and trigger control.

[ame]http://youtu.be/38EZBw49Ibw[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/5iQb8j_hXnM[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/22msLVCtPk8[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/BY3pAZqMJe8[/ame]

You're doing well. Good luck and keep up the practice.

4. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Omg your so good! Yes i was doing all of that lol! I couldnt hit the small target at all and it was because i was anticipating recoil and flinched when i pull the trigger making a low shot. So we went and got the man body target. Thanks for the pointers!!!!

5. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Yea i do take my time with the trigger pull. Thanks for the tips and vids! :)

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

No problem. Good luck.

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Glad I can help.

8. utf59

utf59 New Member

I would add a note about posture. It looks like you are standing with your shoulders back farther than your hips, almost to the point of leaning back. That increases the effects of recoil.

Watch this video of Julie Golob, and notice how her shoulders are forward of her hips. Also check out her foot placement, especially when she isn't leaning around obstacles.

As stated earlier, you are doing quite well as a new shooter, and you're getting a lot of advice because you asked for it. :D

9. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Yes, take a bit more forward aggressive stance "Think Boxer" it will feel more comfortable and sturdier to you. You will also bring your head down a bit more on line with the natural sight plain.

Keep it up and remember pass it on to other new shooters....

To add.. Don't struggle to be fast, just be smooth and fluid. Speed will develop rapidly with fluidity.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  10. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Thanks! I like getting advice cuz im still quite new with firearms and all. ;)

11. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Yea, i guess u can say that im still kind of scared to get comfortable. Im afraid that i might get a jam and not notice and blow up my hand >_< but my co worker told me that if i do get a jam the slide will stay back like its out of bullets.

12. string1946

string1946 New Member

Your co-worker is pretty much correct. If you have a malfunction (jam) the slide won't lock back like your out of rounds but will hang up on either the unfired round if it fails to chamber or the empty case if an ejection failure. Either of these event would cause you to need to remove the magazine and clear the malfuction. If the slide does lock back while there are still rounds in the magazine then more than likey you have a faulty magazine. If any of these happen and your not sure how or are not comfortable clearing it just lay the gun down pointed down range and ask for help. Some malfuctions can be corrected with the "Tap, Rack, Bang drill which is tap the magazine with the palm of your support hand to make sure the magazine it fully seated, rack the slide to get another round in the chamber and bang or resume firing. I would probably only use that drill if I was in a gun fight or shoot in a match. The chance that you will blow your hand off is slim and none. I've been shooting all my life and I still have all 10 fingers. Never shot a toe off either. :D

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Unless you get a squib load, which is where the load is too weak to shoot the projectile (bullet) out of the barrel, and it gets start, if you have a malfunction pulling the trigger won't do anything. It won't explode, just nothing will happen.

Squib loads are dangerous, because you'll have a bullet stuck in the barrel and if you shoot again, well, bad ju-ju. However, if you're shooting ammo you bought in a store from a major manufacturer, that prolly won't happen.

14. string1946

string1946 New Member

If you ever fire a shot and its sounds a lot different from all the other, stop and make sure there is not an obstruction in the barrel.