advice about kids!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by rurak, Dec 28, 2012.

1. rurak

rurak New Member

So ive got a little situation with my four year old daughter. For the past week or so she has been holding in her poop till she has a small accident. She has been perfectly potty trained for 1 1/2 years. Ive tried everything..... bribes, punishment, you name it. I started her on mira lax about 4 days ago. Today is day 3 with no poop. I'm starting to get worried. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow. Anyone experience this with their kids? Any suggestions? I asked her why she is holding it and she said shes afraid it will hurt.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Child has had a hard bowel movement- probably for the first time she can remember- and it DID hurt- and she is trying to avoid that. Check her diet- gets screwy around Christmas, increase fruit in her diet- and WATER. Get her some good fiber and hydration, problem will go away.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

3. Kai

Kai New Member

Did you ask her?

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think all kids probably go through this, I know mine did. I did what C3 said, but I did also add some laxative to get things flowing. Ended up causing explosive diarrhea, and yes, I followed the damn directions on the bottle.

Beware of pasta.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Cut back on cheese if she eats much of that.

I agree with C3. She's had a 'hard' poop that hurt. Call the doctor for advice. Try those Fiber One bars. They are like candy bars but have a good amount of fiber. Fruit juice. Raisins.

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Some kids actually become scared of the toilet at some points but that doesnt sound like the case here. I do agree, prolly some serious holiday diet fluctuations causing some blockage. A little exlax at the correct dosage shold get things moving ASAP. If it doesnt clear out quickly, have her checked out, Bowel obstructions can be painful and sometimes very troublesome.

Try not to get too frazzled with the situation, she needs to relax and let time and mother nature work its magic. This too will pass!

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

And this is why Wisconsin has had so many serial killers?:eek::p

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No, the cereal killers come from Battle Creek MI.

Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Shredded Wheat, Frosted Flakes......:p

9. Colby

Colby New Member

I agree - if she is having a bowel movement problem due to hard "poop" then laxative stuff may help.

But there may be a little psychological stuff going on here, too. My son went through it. He, for some reason, began to notice his poop - and he was concerned that it was part of him - that was leaving him. He didn't want that to happen - didn't know if it should happen.

--- It makes sense, in a way. Thought he was losing part of himself .. and he couldn't let that happen. It's them figuring out life stuff.
    It's a phase that will work through. But if you could provide some kindly, gentle reassurance that it is all ok - and it is actually necessary or else she will become sick. That should start to sink in and smooth things over.

But if it is this fear of pooping that i have described - she is actually working at retaining her poop - then the laxative stuff is going to cause her much much pain and psychological consternation - she'll be trying her hardest to retain - and will find herself failing at this thing that at the moment seems very very important to her - retaining that part of her body that seems to be coming out.

If it was me - I would go very easy on the laxative type stuff (like not use it) and do some very gentle explanations of what is going on - and that she needs to get rid of that stuff - that it is not a real part of her body -- but something like food going in (which, of course, it is the direct result of)

Good luck with her. Kids are interesting and fun.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  10. rurak

rurak New Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We have tried explaining it to her but sure says she's said because she pooped once and it hurt. I guess we will ride it out and see what happens

11. rurak

rurak New Member

So the doctor said to load her up with mira lax and we did. Still nothing so I went to the drug store and got some suppositories. I got home and as I was explaining what I had to do she pushed hard and pooped. It was normal size and I thought it would be bigger having not gone for days but beggars can't be choosers. The trick is now we have to get her to go every day.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

beat the shit out of her :cool:

:p

13. rurak

rurak New Member

Ha! Are you a parent or do you have any pets?

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

negative on both accounts ... but the fear of a painful poop is not unheard of. My nieces went through the same thing ... one even went so far as to refuse to take the laxatives and drink extra water :(

in the end it will work out, just be patient and watch for signs of duress :)

15. Kai

Kai New Member

Well done...you asked her and she gave a reasonable answer...nothing crazeee...just that it hurt.
    You may want to think about her diet. Is she eating, and enough of, the foods that maintain regularity?
    Perhaps a talk with a pediatrician regarding her diet...food intake not dieting...would be beneficial.

16. rurak

rurak New Member

Her diet hasnt changed at all. The mira lax is working because ive changed her underwear at least 10 times today. Ive had to load her up with balmex because its so irritated down there. We are so overwhelmed by this :( she's holding the diarrhea in until she gets off the toilet. My wife is sick and I really cant deal with changing her every 10 minutes all night

17. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I know the feeling both my daughters went through it. Make Miralax a daily thing and I agree with others on the water, fruit and any extra fiber. After awhile the Miralax really starts to work and they forget about the pain. Then eventually ween her off. I know it's a "******" situation but, it will get better. Just try to be patient and supportive and let her know you are trying to help.

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

My kid didn't poop for around 3 weeks, but finally i realized that I just forgot to feed it.