Advantage of XD

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Shihan, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What advantage does the XD hold over the Glock? At first glance grips look similar. Is the high bore axis hold any advantage? How needed is the grip safety?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think the grip safety is a good addition as you must have a firm hold of the grip for the weapon to fire. The grips do look similar but I promise you they don't feel similar. The XD grip angle is much nicer, IMO and much like that of a 1911. I also find the XD grip to fit my hand better.
    The XD will take the same abuse a Glock will so durability isn't an issue nor is functionality, they are both reliable.

You have opened a large can of worms, my friend.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I do like my grip safety.

My friends would've made fun of me for buying a "cop gun" if i had picked up a Glock. ;)

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

A big advantage of the grip safety that I see is child resistance, their hand doesn't fit the grip and they're the weapon can't be fired and the action can't be cycled. I love my xd40, my prior carry weapon was a Ruger P94 .40.

5. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I love the XD, but the grip safety is only a small part of the reasons. It just loves to be shot and feels great. I've had my XD .40 tactical for almost 2 years, shot it as much as any other handgun, carried it when and where I felt like it. If you looked at it you'd think it was brand new. Heck why don't you . . .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What did you have done to the grip?

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

It's just rubber grip tape, thay also make it in sandpaper. I can't remember the make off hand, but if you're interested I can find out.

It makes a noticeable difference in recoil management and point-ability is a little more natural, since it sticks to your hand.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

There is a company that will texture the grip for you if you want. They will also mill the grip to give a service or tactical model the grip length of a 45 compact. If anyone is interested I can dig the name up.

9. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

i can personally vouch for the grip safety. i have a xdm in 9mm when i bought it the wife wanted to shoot it so naturally i let her. well she has much tinier hands then i do and the first couple of times she tried to shoot it no bang. so i had to help her out a lil and adjust her grip so she could get a tighter hold on it and then she had no problems. works well imho. plus im not a big glock fan...

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I will look for it again here on the web, there is a rubber sleeve you can slide over the grip.

11. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Although I have an XD-40, it is far from my favorite carry gun. I don't think I have even fired it since I last used it to qualify for my ccw, but I do like the XD/XDM line & I stock 6 or moreof the what are there, like 20+ different guns?
    I usually sell them to prior owners & new gun buyers with a few bucks to spend. I'd rather see a beginner with a grip safety

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's great if you want a "three-finger-grooved" temporary accessory. They are made by Houge and can bew found at pretty much any gun store and even big name "All purpose" type stores that carry ammo, but I find them to be awkward feeling as they slip around when used right out of the box, if taped on they aren't as bad. I've used them on .44 mags, before my permanent grips were made.

There's a few. Robar is the common one that your probably thinking of. Springfield is actually putting a different grip on their new Tactical 9 (third pic) The is also a new one I saw in a handgun mag, but I can't remember the name. I'll look through my old magazines. . .

The reason I chose the decal grip addition is that its semi-permanent.

I can take them off if I ever want to sell the gun (which won't happen unless it's for another model XD) and buyer doesn't want them or I may want to have permanent mods to the frame like a beaver tail and the Robar treatment. Plus, even though it is only semi-permanent it feels like part of the gun unlike the slip on grip addition.

No I'm not a decal grip salesman. . . Just throwing my reasoning out there for you folks considering a grip mod. I have used all 3 (Robar was on a Glock and comes in a close second) and the decal is my favorite so far. If it begins to flaw I will report it immediately.

Attached Files:

13. billdeserthills

I had a used Glock with the Decal Grip, it was soft & sticky- Felt a bit nicer to shoot with too. (I was just giving the Glock a try, Heh Heh)

14. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I own two xd's and one xdm. 9mm, 40, and 45. They are all great shooters and just feel really good to me. Never had a single malfunction with any of them. That being said I've got nothing against a glock either. In fact, I'm planning on picking up a 30, 23, or 27. Just gotta decide what I want. I wouldn't say there's an advantage to an xd over glock...just depends on your taste.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Glocks are OK, but haven't spent enough time with one to really make a fair judgement.

Believe it or not I've had my eye out for a Glock for a few months now. Lightly used in the $350 range and I'm all over it. :) Model 17 or 19

16. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I love my XD 40, it's the 2nd hand gun I shot and the first one I bought, and it's still one of my go to guns for stress relief or self defense. I'd trust my family's life to it.

I feel that Springfield took the best thing about Glocks (polymer and the trigger safety) and mixed it with the 1911 (grip safety and grip angle) and came out with the XD.

The only thing I wish it had was a beaver tail, which I see someone does do, so when I get back to my guns I might get it done.

17. billdeserthills

I don't know if you've seen it but a glock beavertail has been produced, it is held in place with a wrap-around grip

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  18. mykelb

mykelb New Member

The Grip Safety is one of the main advantages the XD's have over the Glocks. The newer ones even more so that have the Tumb Safety also. Not to change the dirrection of the Thread but about the grip texturing. I have been trying to find a slip on grip and all I have been able to find are ones for the XD 9's and 40's but not one for the XD45C. Has anyone seen one? I don't want to send my gun out to have it textured, I would much rather just slip a grip over it. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

19. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

LOL!! why do you springfield guys like to compare to the Glock so much? The only comparision to me is how much xd looks like glock. Hey if you like xd's thats cool, h&k,sigs,glocks etc. thats great but love them for what they are not how they compare to their rival:)

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The grip safety is a nice bonus. The fact that it doesn't have that newly formed 2x4 grip feel is also a plus. XDs don't come with a cult either.