Adjusting fixed sights?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by indyfan, Feb 16, 2010.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

is it possible?

Both my Beretta and Ruger shoot a bit off

The Ruger mark 3 shoots to the left and the Beretta M92 shoots high by a little bit

How would I adjust fixed sights, or should I dish out for a pair of adjustable sights

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The rear sight on the Mk III should be dovetailed so you should be able to move it in the slot. On the 92, I believe the front sight is integral to the slide so no easy fix here. If the rear is dovetailed, they may make a shorter rear sight but I wouldn't bet on that.

Before any adjustments, I'd have someone else shoot both to verify it's the gins and not your technique...

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

A fixed front sight shooting high usually involves a file. I would make sure that is the issue before doing so. Bench rest, a couple of shooters and plenty of ammo. Small fine file, couple of strokes and shoot some more....you get the idea.

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Drift the rear sight on the Mark III to the right slightly, and try some different ammo in the 92.
    My 2¢ .....

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Actually it's the opposite-you move the rear site the direction you want point of impact to go and the front sight the opposite direction. You would want a slightly higher front site to bring point of impact down. Shooting lighter/faster bullet loads should make your point of impact go down because the bullet will leave the barrel quicker before recoiling as much for less muzzleclimb.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Yep, I misspoke....oops. :eek: For some reason I was thinking low, not high. My bad peoples. Thanks for the correction. :eek:

7. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Yes, try lighter bullets if you need to shoot a bit lower.