additional fees

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by AnotherGunLover, Jun 18, 2012.

1. AnotherGunLover

AnotherGunLover New Member

Can someone tell me the other fees besides the ffl fee that are in florida or atleast help me with finding somewhere that tells me thank u in advance.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am not familiar with the fees associated with FL gun transfers. hopefully someone from FL will chime in and give some input. you might try a few gun stores in your area and see what they charge as normal fees.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

OK- your communciation skills need work. FEES FOR WHAT?:confused:

Now, making an assumption that you need a FFL to recieve a firearm for you- go to gunbroker.com. On their home page left sides, under the green bar that says "areas of interest" is a "find a FFL" function. Click on that, enter your zip code, and it will pull up ffls in your area that have rgistered as being willing to act as a transfer dealer. Most have what they charge listed.

4. AnotherGunLover

Ok I already know there will be an ffl fee that not what I asked I'm just asking in general if there are other fees I will need to pay (not including tax)

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Usually when you buy a weapon from Gun Broker or a dealer out of state. You * pay them for the weapon and *shipping costs. You will need to find an FFL source in your state and area to receive it for you. The Companies or Dealers must exchange FFLs first. Then when the weapon arrives at your designated dealer's location and you go to pick it up. The dealer who received it for you will do the transfer usually *charging you $25-$50 for the transfer. You fill out the Federal Form and answer the questions and they will do your records check and you are on your way. Unless, there is a waiting period in your area. If so you would need to return after that period and pick the weapon up. But there are no additional charges or cost that I know of! :)

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Sometimes the FFL will charge a NICS fee (that's your background check) but if varies from FFL to FFL. Usually your pawnshops, home based dealers will be lower. The FFL holders of brick and motar gun shops want you to buy there and some can charge upwards of $200(just seen a dealer on the fflonly forum do that) so it varies to say the least.

7. AnotherGunLover

Thanks and yea in florida we have a cool down period of only 3 days

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, here goes....

You want me to order a firearm that my supplier has listed for $300.
    In my county, add 7.5% sales tax on the firearm ($300 + 22.50 = 322.50)
    My supplier charges me for shipping (2nd day) and for the fun of it, say it costs $45.00 ($300 + $45 = $345.00)
    My supplier charges me an additional 3% for credit card ($345 + $10.35 = $355.35)
    My transfer fee is $20.00 for NICS check and other expenses I have.

So, let's add up
    $300.00 + $22.50 + $45.00 + $10.35 + $20.00 = $397.85

Now because I'm doing you a favor and charging only 5% ($19.89) on the deal, add that to the 397.85, your total cost would be $417.74

I have to make 10 such sales a day to make it as a firearms sales shop only.

9. AnotherGunLover

Thanks now I know a ball park of what I'm going to pay

10. danf_fl

If you noticed, by going rock bottom on my prices, I am not making a good living.

If I had to rely on sales only, I would be closing shop. This would make me no longer available to you, and you would have to deal with other dealers who charge more.

By supporting the local LGS, the money spent stays in the local economy, you have a source who is willing to help you, and he/she can support his/her family.

Always put yourself into the local LGS shoes. Consider how much you would have to get from the deal to make it worth your while. (like a waiter in a local restaurant, the local LGS knows who the better customers are.)

11. AnotherGunLover

That what my dad told me as he is a gun collector doesn't have much left after the house was broken into while on vacation but some home defense and hunting rifles. But he told its easier and better go to gun shops and gun shows instead of odering online

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Talk it over with your LGS, OP.(should also be an FFL there)

I feel for you,OP. I live in Florida, too, and gun prices are a little nuts

here, I admit. But I have to agree with DAN,(thank you, sir)

IME, if you order a gun online, it's going to run you @100$

extra, by the time it hits your hot little hands. Sorry.

My experience has been finding what my LGS didn't have

online, if I got a good deal online, by the time all was said and done,

and i was walking out the door with the gun, I'd paid @ what the

LGS would have charged me, if they had it in stock, anyway.

So yeah, if you can pick it up at J&G,(probably a bad idea, for a few reasons)

you can get that

Mosin Nagant for $89.95. Otherwise, you're going to double the

price in ancillary costs, which many internet users conveniently

omit from their posts.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Ditto! It is the same process here in Florida.

14. AnotherGunLover

So baiscaly gunshows and lgs are the way to go

15. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Pretty much in most cases. I had a customer buy from Buds but had to pay the 3% fee and the transfer fee and turns out I would have sold him the same gun for like 5 bucks less. Although I've seen retail prices cheaper than I can get them wholesale, so it depends.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  16. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I make many of my purchases online because they ushually ship free, no IL state tax ( around 9%) and only costs me $20 to transfer to my ffl.

17. AnotherGunLover

I love this forum its like an ecyclopedia of info

18. danf_fl

I do transfers.
    Customer sees a firearm on an auction site.
    Customer gives me the FAX number of seller (Note: I FAX a copy of my FFL)
    I get tracking number from either the buyer or seller.
    I arrange for one of us to be home when delivery is expected.
    Call buyer, do the 4473 with the buyer and background check.

My costs are the FAX line, time to be there for delivery, insurance, license renewals, and $5 to the FDLE.
    I charge the customer $20. $15 goes to my expenditures.

Am I getting rich? Not at this rate. But the buyer has the responsibility of purchasing the firearm, shipping, and sales tax. And I have plenty of repeat customers who buy online.