Adding to my AR-15 - looking for feedback

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PrimePorkchop, Jan 4, 2012.

1. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I've been going crazy with all the options out there for various parts that I'd like to add to my AR-15

Colt LE6940
    [​IMG]

From scopes and grips to lights and lasers, i'm trying to narrow it down, not go "over board" and avoid buying something that ends up sucking bad.

I dont have any "preference" as in distances I shoot, how often, etc. All i'm really looking for is "Cool" (I know...I hold my head in shame, but I gotta be honest with myself...it's what I want)

All of your opinions are absolutely welcome...please tell me if a "bayonet sounds stupid" :rolleyes: but at least tell me why :D

I'll give a list of each part im looking for, then a list within each part that i've considered buying. If any of you have had any experiences with the ones listed, please don't shy away from sharing it!

Bipod & Grip

(Perhaps combining them)
    I haven't looking into many "grips" by themselves, but am certainly open to whatever. So far im leaning towards a combo item, but am not educated in the ways, so im not sure what are the pros/cons

I like this one based on looks.
    [​IMG]

But this one has a light holder (anyone find that useful)?
    [​IMG]

And I really like the looks of this but not sure if it's worth the time?
    [​IMG]

Optics, Scopes, & Lasers

Basically targeting system(s). My initial thought was doing a short range/long range rifle by doing a laser with a long range scope. Don't know the differences between Holographics and Red dots, but have not ruled out using one of them instead. Listed below are the different options I was considering buying

K-15 Laserlyte Green Laser
    [​IMG]

EOTech EXPS3-4 Holographic Sight
    [​IMG]

Barska Illuminated Red Dot 3x Magnification

[​IMG]

Mark III Tactical Scope
    [​IMG]

Miscellaneous

Bayonet

Kwikguard Rail Covers

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Avoid the "Lasers", let the sharks have them unless it's an IR laser. Non IR lasers will give away your position and really aren't of much help at the distances you would be using them.

I'm not a fan of grip pods or lights under the barrel. I prefer handstops or the AFG as they support better hand positioning. Lights under the barrel will often cast a shadow from the waist up, the most vital area.

EoTechs or Aimpoints. I like the micros, smaller and lighter and easier to see around.

Bayo, why? They really don't serve a purpose other than to add weight.

Just my opinion YMMV

3. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

That's all i'm after to be honest. There are so many reviews on every item I listed. Half love it. Half hate it.

But I like it here and have been a lurker long before I signed up...I trust opinions here...I don't trust them in other nooks of the interwebs :cool:

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

If you want a laser system get a PEQ of some sort and a set of NODs.

Spend money on a decent optic from the start or you'll end up spending a lot more in the long run.

I'm very opinionated but usually I have formed my opinions through research and trial'n error.

5. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

dont get the Barska. chinese crap from what ive read. i hope the PA micro i got will be close to an Aimpoint

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I thought you got the PA micro.

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I really like the Afg, and would definitely recommend it.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have the Mako grip/bipod on my AR15-22. The legs are just barely longer than the Magazine. It is not quite as useful as I would like.

9. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

oh yeah thats what i meant. lol

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I recommend AFG 1 or 2, EOTech XPS2-0, NcStar Green Laser and SureFire G2X Pro. ;)

Attached Files:

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

And for the Bipod, get Harris and the QD mount from eBay ;)

12. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

That is one mean lookin' machine! :eek:

How are you liking the laser? Obviously good enough to keep it, but what kind of tests have you put it through? The one i'm considering is split 50/50. Half arrive DOA and the other half have had no problems at all. Some people report problems keeping it at zero, while others swear by its accuracy.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

If im not mistaken the laser costed me <$50 from amazon. I bought it cos it was cheap for green laser. It comes with 2 switches and the mounting. Also it stays zero all the time. So far no problem but hey its $50 laser, i wont complain if theres an issue.

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

If you like the flashlights, I have and recommend an INOVA Inforce color. 125 lumen primary, 4 colored secondaries (actually, one of the secs is white also). Carbon fiber so it weighs very little. The mounting bracket is very unique...prob my fav thing about it. Kinda pricey, but it's something fun to play around with, aside from the practical application.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm wondering what the multiple colors would do for a person.

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I don't have a clue...yet I just HAD to have it. :)

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Be careful, there is a lot of airsoft stuff being sold on sites like Amazon and Ebay w/ claims of being the "real" thing.

18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I hear ya....no, I bought this from my LGS where I (obviously) do a LOT of business. To be honest, the colors are 4 little led "flood" lamps in the bezel. I would assume they would be used to navigate through wooded areas at night...wildlife apparently can't see colors. The main lamp is led also, and has 3 intensity settings. Just a cool little toy for me...thought the OP might wanna check 'em out since the "cool" factor was a player here. thanks for the heads up tho...

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's a great looking rifle, okdonk!

PPC, okdonk's stock would look great on your Colt! Really, a quality buttstock, sling and optic and you'll be set.

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thx Quentin. I been noticing most of your comments, tips and anything about AR. I knew nothing 2 months ago. So yeah.. some credits go to you! ;) thx