Firearms Talk banner

Adding iron sights to new rifle

19K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  johnbrowning 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I hope to get a answer to my delima. I thought this might be the perfect place to get a sound answer....my question is, I am looking for a rifle for a friend who fishes up in Alaska. He needs something large enough to defend himself from some of the larger bears up there and, he does not want a scope on a rifle...he mainly wants a new rifle in 338Magnum. The problem here is, the rifles in this caliber are mainly bored and taped for scope mounting. He is pretty set on a Ruger. No iron sights from the factory.

Can he purchase a new 338 magnum and have open / iron sights added to the rifle by a gunsmith with-out having the integreity of the metal of the barrel compromised? Will adding iron sights to a new rifle like this damage or alter anything? such as over time will the barrel be damaged? Or would this not matter at all? I talked to a gun dealer and , he said that drilling or anything like this will in fact damge and or alter the performance or integrety of the metal. I spoke to Ruger and they say they do not do this type of work at their factory. This is the kicker, will the adding of the iron sights mess with any part of the rifle adversly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.