Adding an upgrade to my carry piece this week.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by PANDEMIC, Mar 16, 2020.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

So I've decided to buy a Threaded Barrel from Lone Wolf for my Glock 17. And a Flash Hider as well from brownells, and so I'll see if I can order them this week. This is a pretty big upgrade I'm doing on my pistol and so I'm really excited. And purchasing a suppressor later or other thread on devices such as a muzzle break/compensator is an option for me since I'll already have the threaded barrel.

Quick question, it says in the description for the threaded barrel this:

• Ok to use lead, plated or jacketed bullets

I'm a little lost to how they look like, the FMJ's I shoot are considered lead I think, and of course hollow points are jacketed. But not sure on the plated.

But does anyone have a picture of what each one should look like?

Like a picture of a lead, plated and jacketed 9mm round would be super helpful. I googled searched it in images and got really mixed up results and still not knowing what each one should look like.

And for a flash hider, whatever ammo (lead, plated or jacketed) your shooting down the threaded barrel is also okay with the flash hider on/off correct?

I know I asked a similar question like this on the suppressor question thread, but I'm asking for a flash hider since its a whole different ball game. Plus a suppressor will have to wait for a while since I'm not exactly ready to dump $500 or more on one just yet. And so I just need to make sure what a 9mm round in lead, plated and jacketed look like so I know if I can shoot whatever I have or I need to buy different 9mm ammo. And if that same lead, plated, and jacketed ammo can also be fired with the flash hider on/off as well?

But this flash hider will be fun, reduces muzzle flash and it'll add some
    beauty to my pistol. :p

**And no, I'm not new to guns or am a noob whatsoever. I just have never done upgrades on pistols that deal with swapping out a factory barrel with a threaded barrel and then threading on a flash hider. So I'm just wanting to make sure if I can use the same ammo that I shoot now with my factory barrel, but on a threaded barrel regardless if the flash hider is on or off.**

Thanks

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Jacketed and plated bullets usually have a lead core under the copper, there are some steel core bullets as well.

Glock barrels have polygonal rifling in which a build up of lead, aka. leading, may occur if non-jacketed or non-plated lead ammo is used in them without cleaning on a very regular basis.

One may even use a polymer coated bullet in Glock barrels.

Just be very cautious if using lubed, lead bullets in Glock barrels.

Or, buy a Lone Wolf or other aftermarket barrel and shoot what you want.

locutus likes this.

3. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

good idea...will have to investigate some regarding for/fit/function on a couple of my handguns...

thanks - my partner might not extend their tks as i spend $$$ indulging in myself , but as the adage goes...

if i die, do not let my partner sell my firearms for what i told them i paid for them :rolleyes:

locutus likes this.
  4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I get lead on my muzzle breaks on my PCC'S. The 10mm one does it the most. Yet the bore is fine. That lead gets baked on i swear lol. I have to scrape it off. If i spray pam on it. It takes longer to lead up.

5. PANDEMIC

Maybe this will help, this is what I shoot and its also my practice ammo and sometimes my carry ammo. I also bought this box from my LGS I think it was a week ago maybe 2.

Is this Lead or Plated?

White Federal 9mm 115 grain FMJ

20200316_174532.jpg

Can I run this through my threaded barrel with the flash hider on and off??

And this is my offical carry ammo:

Now I know I can run this through my threaded barrel I'm buying but can I also run it with the flash hider on as well??

Fiocchi 9mm 147 grain JHP
    (Jacketed Hollow Points)

20200316_175409.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just run a clip or two of fmj through the barrel. Leading disappears like magic.:)

That box is FMJ!! IOW, full metal jacket.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  7. PANDEMIC

And I can do that even with a flash hider on, I don't need different ammo like you would with a muzzle break or a suppressor?

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Are you telling us that you don't know what a Lead bullet looks like?
    This is a Lead bullet.
    [​IMG]

You can also find them powder coated in many different colors-
    [​IMG]

PANDEMIC likes this.
  9. PANDEMIC

I know the ammo, just don't know the terms associated with which ammo. So I get confused.

What about plated?

10. PANDEMIC

Oops, full metal JACKET as in jacketed. Oh
    I didnt think of it like that lol.

Now can I run FMJ even with the FH on?

11. Txhillbilly

Plated is a lead bullet with a copper plating over the lead. Berry's bullets are copper plated.

12. PaBushMan

I run the coated lead.

13. PANDEMIC

I saw some images of it on google, so in summary its got like a shine to it or a glare? I guess its one way to remember how it looks like.

14. PaBushMan

Berrys plated ammo looks just like FMJ's.

Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  15. PANDEMIC

Oh, so I can even run that kind of ammo through my threaded barrel, sweet!

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. Gatoragn

Yes, that ammo will be fine for your new barrel and flash hider.

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  17. PANDEMIC

Okay, I get it now.

So when it says

Ok to use lead, plated or jacketed bullets:

FMJ is Full Metal Jacket (Jacketed)
    This would be my White box of Federal 115 Grain

JHP is Jacketed Hollow Points.
    This would my Fiocchi 147 grain.

I feel dumb now lol.

Now Gatoragn, you said I can run the FMJ's with my new barrel and flash hider.

Just to confirm, this applies to my hollow points as well right? I know they'll run on the threaded barrel but also with the flash hider on too correct?

18. Gatoragn

Yes, the flash hider should not be in contact with the bullet exiting the barrel.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  19. PANDEMIC

Is there a way I can check that just to be sure? Or is that something that naturally shouldn't happen and I don't need to worry about it?

Here is the threaded barrel:

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=928

Here is the flash hider:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...nsators/flash-hider-for-glock--prod45519.aspx

I think if you see the flash hider and match it with the hollow point pics I posted. It may give you a better idea if that applies to the flash hider not making contact with the bullet while exiting the barrel.
    I checked it that way but not sure if I'm doing it right.

Thank you so much for helping me btw!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  20. Txhillbilly

As long as you buy any attachment designed to be shot with a 9mm IT WILL NOT COME IN CONTACT WITH THE BULLET!
    Not a Suppessor,Muzzle Brake,or Flash Hider!!!!!!

Rifling82, Gatoragn and PANDEMIC like this.