Adding a P226 to the family

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by Mule659, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Mule659

Mule659 New Member

I've been issued a Gen 3 Glock 22, which as most of you know if the full size .40, since starting with my agency. It's a decent weapon as far as function and being simple. There's an endless supply of holsters and other accessories on the market for it. That being said...I just don't like it. Personal opinion.

Now, the good news is I can carry a personal sidearm at work if I wish. I just have to qualify with it and carry it in an approved holster...no big deal. I'm pretty much dead set on a P226R with two-tone finish chambered in 9mm. I don't buy into the argument that a .40 is a better man stopper than a 9mm. Well placed shots with quality ammo are the real stopper.

All that rambling for this: Any advice, thoughts, gripes, loves, hates, etc. about the P226 that I should be aware of? I owned a P220 for quite a while so I know the trigger. Just curious on people's input.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Judge

Judge New Member

Mule659:
    As long as you are accustomed to the double/single action of a Sig, then I suspect you will really enjoy the p226.
    I purchased a p226 last year and liked it enough that I also bought the p2022 about 9 months later.
    I really like Sigs. Hope you do too

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a Sig. You can get them in .40 as well if it helped as far as departmental ammo goes.

4. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

If you like the feel and the accuracy, go for it, sigs are a great weapon, I have a p220 in .45 ACP....... My carry weapon I duty is the G21

Personally, I choose the Glock over Sig, simplicity is key to me, but like I mentioned, it's only my personal preference

5. vmax1989

vmax1989 New Member

Have been carrying P226R Dark Elite in .40 for about 4yrs (wanted more rounds) and carried P220 for 15yrs before that. Sigs are great guns for duty as long you get along with the DA/SA trigger. I say GO FOR IT.

6. pduque

pduque New Member Supporter

Buy the 40 then buy a drop-in 9 barrel and voila!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

7. m1911King

m1911King New Member

If anyone knows a good place in Georgia to go purchase a good quality Sig p229 for a decent price, I'd appreciate help.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Norcross Gun Range seems to be competitive on their prices. David's Gun Room also is within reason on prices.

Or find one on line and go the FFL route.

9. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

The 226 is a great firearm, and is carried by the seals ( they have a water protection version that has an anchor on the slide, same gun). I would go with it!

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I had a P226 for a few years. Sold it because it just didn't fit my hand right and wasn't terribly accurate for me.

Apart from my personal tastes, it was a great gun. I wouldn't steer anyone away from a Sig P220, P226, or P229 if they like the fit. They're excellent guns in every regard...though some might not find the price so excellent. But if the fit is right, it's probably worth it.

Great gun. One of the best service platforms out there.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I'm in total agreement about glocks. Don't like em or anything about them

If you like the p220 you will like the p226. Same exact gun just sized for a different round. I've had a p220 since about 1989ish and had a p226 for a while but never really shot it. Fantastic gun however.

What I really like about the p22x is how easy they are to repair if something goes wrong or refit the whole thing in a rebuild.

I think its a fantastic duty weapon and lightyears ahead in quality and reliabilty than any glock.

Wise choice