Firearms Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't think anyone done it yet lol

I also added that handstop, for a total of 3atf points making it legal

I got a reflex sight that will co witness coming and a l3 ngal laser/light that will mount in front of the front sight

Tony

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Supporting Member
14,678 Posts
Baboon,
i am assuming that is a Registered SBR?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hand stop is 2 points, flip sight is 1, total 3

I changed to a pistol reflex this morning, so that's zero points, got that 25 dollar unit from Amazon

·
Supporting Member
14,678 Posts
Baboon,

Yes, I blew the Picture up and saw it was a Pistol. I also have one. My only thought was I know they do not allow vertical grips of any type on the hand guards of pistols. So just curious of how the ATF would view that item. Just was curious. I know they are still wanting to challenge the Brace on a Pistol. So, I was just curious when I saw it on your Pistol.
Nice looking Pistol. I think a lot of things restricting this and that on our Pistols is excuse me! BS anyway!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know I'm not 100 percent on the its conflicting.....

Atf states you can have a handstop (2 points)

Atf states a vertical forward grip is 90 degrees from barrel

Atf states it's 4 points if you use two hands

Lots of people run that angled barracad hand stop

So.. lol

·
Supporting Member
14,678 Posts
Yes
It is legal. I contacted a friend who is an AR Manufacturer. And he advised yes that accessory is perfectly legal according to the ATF.
And thank you for your explanation! We learn something new all the time! That is another reason I like our great Firearms Talk Forum.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've got a few "pistols", one of which is a CMMG Banshee 300 in .45acp and it has a 5" barrel - I've found, with these shorter barreled pistols, that sighting devices (RDS, Reflex and Iron Sights) are "uncomfortable" to use and so I opted to putting a Laser on this particular one and it's made shooting it, via "indirect sighting", a heck of a lot more fun

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can get points for those (scopes)

Any sight that you need to put up to your eye only to use is 4 points

Sights must be used like a pistol held out in front of you. At least work both ways

And any zoom add on in front of a red dot is also points I found out

I don't make the rules lol

Google ATF worksheet 4999 for a laugh

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
2 hands is a joke. I use 2 hands on all my pistols even my P32. Does that make them an SBR? On the AR pistols no brace and a red dot with unlimited eye relief. No other sights or attachments. I keep thinking of a pointed end cap for the buffer tube. It would hurt to shoulder or if you butt smack someone. Laser would be fun but I keep thinking of Star Wars Stormtroopers. I don't know what the legalities would be. I do have a combination light and laser on the nightstand guns. Both Glocks. There is a laser made for the Mossberg Shockwaves.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I have a 7.5" in 300 Blk I built. No hand stop, but it does have flip ups and a Sightmark M-Spec reflex (which works easily at arms length, like a pistol), I also have the SBA-3 brace and apparently, THAT'S what the ruckus is about. In addition, check that sheet closer too as length of pull matters, weight matters and over all length matters as well.

I'm still trying to find out if that new sheet and the proposed rule changes are actually in effect yet. The ATF's site is convoluted as heck and there is no straight answer. As of today (the 8th) I'm 13 months into my wait for my form 4 tax stamp on a suppressor I bought last year (which I intend to use on ther 300 Blk pistol). I called thge ATF last week and was told it is still "pending." I'm a bit miffed because it looks like I won't be able to enjoy my pistol with the suppressor as I wanted...back when I jumped through all the hoops to ensure I was building a legal pistol.

Since form 4's went electronic this past December, I think they pulled half (or more) of the few people they have working paper forms to deal with the electronic side and so now there are even less people working on the paper forms. I know a few folks who purchased suppressors using the new electronic method in January and February of this year and they already have their stamps and suppressors in hand. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

When/if the new rules by these unelected rogues go into effect, then I have 3 choices: Shut my pie hole and leave it as it is (and never take it to the range), take off the brace, change the tube (so it's not "adjustable") and take off the flip ups, or spend another $200 and form 1 it as an SBR.

I'm leaning to the latter. Yeah, sucks to have spend another $200 and get "permission from the man" to exercise my rights, but an SBR means I can put an actual stock on it, vertical grips, or anything I want (I can even buy more uppers for it and shoot whatever caliber I want) without having to play whack-a-mole with the moving goal posts of "rules." Many lament doing that as it does put restrictions on toting it around or crossing state lines, but I rarely go out of state, and have no reason to take it with me if I do.

Here's my pistol:

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Gun barrel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts