Add weight to barrel?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by BlindOldMan, Apr 26, 2011.

1. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

This is probably a dumb question but I'm shameless...

Is there such a thing as a rail-mounted lead weight? I'm trying to experiment with added weight to gather some data on recoil and also to see if it helps with normal shooting (i.e., without weight).

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

What kind of gun are we talking about? If it's plastic try an all metal real gun then you won't need the weight.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

it helps controllability a lot. could just take a rail light that uses AA batteries and fill it with lead shot instead of batteries.

its one reason i dont like polymer guns at all. follow up shots are slow at best with very snappy recoil. i would rather deal with the steel frame steel slide weight than with the snappy recoil

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Note to all of you youngsters- Olympic match type pistols have had addable weights for years. The original Remington XP-100 bolt action pistol had a swing way forend tip that allowed you to place lead bullets in the channel. Adding weight to improve balance, change barrel harmonics, and suck up some recoil has been around for a spell- before rail systems existed.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

6. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

A guy at work threaded his barrel and screwed what had to be a three pound weight on his rifle barrel. It's big. He's one of those guys that goes praire dog hunting at 400 yards and is a former military sniper. I know it helps a lot with harmonics and recoil. I'm not going that far with my 308 but considering his experiance, I have to assume he knows what he's doing though.

7. GunGal

GunGal New Member

I would be afraid of damage..

I would be afraid of causing irrepairable damage.