ADCOR B.E.A.R Elite B.E.A.R. = (Brown Enhanced Automatic Rifle)

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by wallmaxx, Jul 31, 2011.

1. wallmaxx

wallmaxx New Member

I am impressed with their side of the story.
    Looks like a fine rifle.
    Has anyone actually owned or used this weapon?

Thanks In Advance (TIA)

Mike

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Side of what story. Never heard of that rifle.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Im curious as well. Just under $1300 for their upper?

4. wallmaxx

wallmaxx New Member

All I can find online is their company YouTube videos.
    They are very thorough but with anyone selling something, you always put the best spin on it.

Maybe someone has actually shot it and could give a first-hand review.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0JGLsicQsk[/ame]

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nice engineering but i dont see how that is lighter than just a gas tube.

The exterior charging handle would drive me crazy wacking my fingers as it goes back and forth.

Dust cover on the bolt is cool but why did they leave a standard flip up cover on??

I dont see an advantage to warrant the price.

Im still of the opinion that unless your running a beltfed or using an ar15 in a squad lmg role as in select fire with beta mags piston systems are old technology best left in 1940.

I just prefer the di system as its only moving part is the bcg

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Ultimately you get to decide

Direct impingment or piston is largely personal preference and cost. If you decide you want one and can afford it, go for it.

I enjoy shooting both DI & piston operated ARs. I even enjoy true blowback AR lookalikes.

I do concur $1300 is steep though, I don't have a use for one at that price.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I wouldn't consider purchasing a $1300 upper based on a video? You can get a known system for the same or less money. If you want a piston look into LWRC. If you're just wanting an AR stick w/ DI and take a look at BCM, Spikes, Colt, etc. Spikes is putting out a very nice upper based around an FN barrel for just over $600. If I was ready for another that's what I'd get.

I don't see you having a huge pool of "have actually shot one" w/ this rifle.

8. wallmaxx

wallmaxx New Member

The charging handle on this weapon is non-reciprocating. The SCAR, on the other hand, is reciprocating.

9. wallmaxx

wallmaxx New Member

I'm not too concerned with price. It's only money. If it is a Cadillac machine, I will pay full price for it. But if it is nothing different than a Colt or Bushmaster, then maybe not so much.

I think I found the entire weapon for $1800 which is way cheaper than a SCAR.

Thanks for all the input so far.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Are you comparing this unproven weapon system to a SCAR? Thats quite a stretch.

I'd be willing to bet this thing turns out to be anything but "a Cadillac machine". Right now I would put this below a BM or DPMS. At least w/ those 2 you know where the majority of their deficiencies are. W/ the "Cadillac" it's all guess work.

But hey its your money to experiment w/. There are however many manufacturers out there w/ great reputations that sell their tank like ARs for less that have earned their business and reputation. Not trying to change your mind, just trying to save you a little grief.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As with any "latest and greatest" that splashes onto the scene I'd wait a year and let the chips fall where they may. Good chance you'd avoid it like the plague in 2012. If you're buying today go with something proven.

12. wallmaxx

wallmaxx New Member

All great points. Thanks much.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

So how do I charge this weapon when the CH is right where I like to mount my light? Should I not mount my light on the rail? If I mount it on the right side I have to remove my shooting hand to charge the weapon, correct? Do you agree that removing your firing hand from the grip is less than ideal? Looks like it would keep me from using the rail on the CH side.

Maybe you can have them send my one of their rifles for some testing. I just don't see a single thing this rifle can do for me that any off the shelf DPMS can't. correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I have been doing some reading and although I stick to my original opinion that a good DI AR is a better choice and the ADCOR BEAR is overpriced by a large margin I will keep my eye on upcoming reviews. Don't think I'm a piston hater, I own and enjoy my LWRC.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  14. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

IMO the forward CH is a cool idea, but when they still have the rear CH it is a waisted piece. From watching the video it looks like you are paying for nothing more than small ergonomic changes more than actual performance upgrades or better technology.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

16. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

LGS has them available and all the guys there swear by it. One of the owners is actually selling his ruger 556 piston so he can get the adcor. Plus they come with fn barrels that last for 15000 rounds.

17. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

I like how simple it is to remove the gas regulator and get the piston removed. The SCAR is not so simple to remove. I feel the SCAR has a much better bolt and bolt and carrier and I just feel using some AR parts like many other AR type piston Mfg.ed rifles, is just a short cut to production and sales without doing a complete redesign and Engineering. The SCAR has the most positive way of holding the bbl. solid to the receiver. I have seem a video on the military channel where it's removed and replaced with little effect to the sighted zero changing. All in all there is no other piston rifle that can hold up to the FNSCARs. 5.56 or 7.62.:rolleyes: