Adams arms

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jord1985, Oct 30, 2013.

1. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Considering getting a Noveske upper and putting an Adams arms piston conversion kit on it for my next build, anyone have any experience with them?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sorry, but taking a Noveske upper and cobbling on a piston kit is insane! Some things you just don't junk up.

3. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

So putting flames on my Ferrari doesn't make it faster? ****!

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The Adams kit gets mixed reviews but seems to work all right from reports I've read. I haven't bought one myself (and never will) so don't have first hand experience. Hopefully someone who does can chime in. Noveske? Well there are some things you just don't dick around with.

5. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I have a AA gas block system it has worked pretty well for me but their customer service is a lot to be desired. Either they are too busy to answer questions or they dont have the neccessary people to cover their phones. If you sell a product and you want people to buy you must have a excellent customer service base.. Just saying! :D

6. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I am not a fan of the piston system. Why would you want to convert to piston anyway?

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Sorry man but thats much like taking a New Corvette and putting a Chevette engine in it . That Noveske is a finely tuned machine, Please dont turn it into a turd

8. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Just looking to do something different, I already have one high end DI System (ddm4v5) so I was thinking about doing a piston setup. I'm stuck on Noveske because I have a non chainsaw gen 2 lower I wanna mate to it.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If you must have a piston do something really different and go buy a AK . Hate to see all that nice stuff crapped on with a aftermarket piston kit . :D

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That would be a great build but I'd leave the upper as is. And maybe build another low price upper with the piston kit. At least fire the upper built as Noveske intended before tainting it!

11. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

I intend to fire it many many times. I just wanna thank everyone for their input got my head back on straight! now I have a better direction to go In with this build, I'll save the AA kit for the next PSA CHF barreled URG sale. :)

12. BlackJack

BlackJack New Member

I would say do it, just on a do it yourself build. My AA kit is amazing. Only thing I wish is that it was pinned. I've had zero problems with it. AA is definately the best piston on the market

13. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

If you are going with a piston, my suggestion is start with a stripped barrel, so you won't have to go through the trouble of removing the FSB. Pistons can be a bit of a challenge if you have never done one. I would (and have) used a DPMS low pro upper, as they have no forward assist, as removing your gas rings eliminates their relevance. One of the advantages the pistons bring to the table is they can bring a bottom of the barrel AR and turn them into a good SHTF gun. A drawback is if you don't watch it, they can make your AR end up costing more than if you just saved your money and bought a Colt to start with, depending on which piston system you end up with.

14. DropZone889

DropZone889 New Member

I don't know why there is such negativity about piston AR's?? If u by the AA kit at a good price, like at westernsport.com where I got mine for $267/shipped , it's not a bad way to go if you want a clean running system and shoot what ever ammo (Tula steel case etc) plus have the gas selection option when I get a can down the road.( IMO build from barrel up as I did with BCM stripped upper).. The ONLY criticism that I heard that possibly be a problem in the SHTF situation is if something in the piston linkage breaks might be hard to fix if don't have extra parts( 2springs, piston and rod), Other than that, go for it, 300+ rds in my and no problems!!!

Plus I got a NFA Poly lower with a RRA LPK and that works great with nooo problems... I think some have never even used a good poly like NFA and slam them here... I also have 2 friends that have the polys with many 100's rds, noooo issues.... I wish more people will have actual experience with both these products before giving advise going on internet rumors or fear of change to fall back on IMO??

15. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

That part of the problem^^^^^^ piston really isn't any cleaner and adds a lot of weight out toward the end of the barrel! You still have gas blowback into the action as the cartridge is ejected so you still have the same cleaning problems. Plus now gas is ejected under the handguard where it may be very hard to clean depending on your setup. Had to remove the free float on mine every time it needed cleaning, pain in the ass!.... ;)

Tried it myself when these first came out a couple years ago. Midlength gas,16" pencil barrel carbine , with a quad rail, was a good running rifle to start with, built with PSA parts. Appx 2-3 ftf out of ~ 1000 rounds, just about average for a good rifle. Really didnt like what the piston did to a light, well balanced short carbine. No more reliable that the original DI system , still 3-4 ftf. Quickly sold the upper during the crazieness. A lot of hype for a non-problem :D

If you really want a piston driven upper try the SCAR16. Its built from the ground up as a piston drive system! It takes more than just the piston to build a "good" piston system rifle!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  16. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Having built more piston AR's with more different kits than anyone on this thread, (probably all combined) and having experience with poly lowers, here is my take on both:
    If you pay the MSRP for most piston kits, you can easily end up with an AR that costs as much as a BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense, or other Tier 1 AR, and it will be heavier and no more reliable. I don't pay MSRP for any parts in the AR, so I can do it much cheaper. I can build a piston AR for about $600 complete, and it will shoot all of the aforementioned ammo without hiccup. If you got a Adams Arms piston kit for less than 300 bucks including shipping, you got a decent deal. I just wouldn't put it on a Tier 1 upper like Noveske, Colt, BCM or Daniel Defense, as that would defeat the purpose. I would start with a clean slate and build it from the bottom up, or with a bottom of the barrel AR that the piston kit would actually be an upgrade for.
    Regarding poly lowers, they are OK for limited fire AR's, like about 200-300 rounds a year, or for a .22LR AR. I have had them, to include NFA, crack under what a GI would consider light use. Having said that, I know a couple of guys with Carbon 15's who would say theirs is the exception to the rule; one of them added a slide fire stock to his and he doesn't seem to have any issues with performance or reliability. I have one I got cheap at a gun show I am planning to use for a .22LR build, but I wouldn't put 5.56 rounds through it.