Active Shooter

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Double_tap, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Double_tap

Double_tap New Member

Hey all I was wondering what some of your plans for dealing with an active shooter in the a public place would be. I know there are hundreds of scenarios that could go down but in general whats some things you think you would do or even legally be aloud to do? Personally I have no doubt that my traning would kick in and after getting cover and concealment for my family I would engage and neutralise the threat. As a CCW holder and a Civialin Sheep dog I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

2. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

Get my family and I outta there ASAP.
    Im no hero wannabe and I dont want to put my family through the litigation of dropping an active shooter. If the shooter were between my family and safety, then I would do everything in my power to stop / drop him.

3. FatPat

FatPat New Member

I'll be damned if I'll allow some innocent to die if I have the means to prevent it.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Keep in mind that nearly every LE agency has plans to go in and neutralize the shooter. They are coming in fast and hard and not waiting for SWAT or negotiators to arrive. You do not want to be shooting it out with the BG when they come a calling, you WILL be seen as a part of the problem and treated as such.

I will not get into the specifics of the plan of attack, but trust me there WILL be an attack.

5. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

First I would protect my family from not only the crazy guy but then from all the rambos out there shooting to stop him and then stay down and ready when the LEOs around here showed up and sprayed everything. No offence meant to the LEOs here. Just seems we are having a rash of OI shootings lately.
    Seriously tho, no one can predict what you would do in a situation like that. If you've never dropped the hammer on a human being you can't know what you will do.
    As for me and mine, we try to avoid being in crowded places and always stay alert.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  6. JonM

JonM Moderator

99 out of 100 times the shooter will be dead by his own hand or out of ammo and fled or barracaded somewhere with hotages if no civilians do anything by the time the police get there.

1 well aimed round to the noggin while he is turned the other way shooting. then go kick the gun away place my gun on the ground and wait for the police that would be the basiv plan without what-iffing it to death.

7. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

What Robocop said.

You aren't part of the law enforcement plan, nor are most of you trained to engage someone proactively. Your job as an armed citizen is to get yourself and those that you are with out of the danger zone. When the police arrive and make entry--and they will--anyone seen holding a gun will be considered a legitimate threat. The last thing they need is you being a distraction because you have this idea about how cool it is to be a hero.

Remember that they have very little information about what's going on, but you...well you probably have even less, because you aren't privy to the information that they're getting from multiple sources. Get yourself to safety and leave the heroics to the paid, trained professioanls who actually have the training and teamwork to handle such things.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That may be true, but after Colombine LE is not going to sit around waiting for the shooter to off himself or run out of ammo. If we go in and he has offed himself, fine. If we go in and he offs himself because we are after him, fine. Maybe we we reduced the body count and cleared the scene sufficiently to get medical assistance to the wounded, hopefully saving lives. The dynamics have changed and we are trying to change with them. When the dynamics change again (and they will), we will try to change again.

Your plan is not a bad one. Just remember to have a back up plan as no plan ever survives first contact with the enemy (Murphy's laws of combat)

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Both of these posts are sound advice IMHO. A carried firearm is only to be used if it is a direct personal lethal threat specifically directed to you or your family. Other than that, vacate to safety, take cover, and be a good witness.

10. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

save my family, if i get the chance eliminate the threat, if not I don't plan on making my wife a widow. "Hero's don't last very long in this war son" Lt.Nelson

11. oldshooter

oldshooter New Member

qft!!!!!!!!!

12. opaww

opaww New Member

So you would let a shooter just kill innocent people men, woman, and children, when you might have the means to stop it?

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Sorry I am not here to protect other people. I am here to protect MY FAMILY. That is exactly what I am going to do.

You are talking about a large gathering like when the senator was shot in AZ. As soon as he starts shooting people are going to be running and screaming mass caos is going to ensue. Sorry unless you are one of these interwebz former SPec Ops super ultra accurate pistol snipers more than likely all your going to do is kill more people and if you don't get killed by the police you are going to go to prison for killing people while trying to be some idiot HERO. He is not going to be standing still and people are going to be running into you and hitting you. The whole time your stalking the shooter and killing other people with your missed shots someone else is trampling your wife and kids.

I am not paid to protect the public so it is not my job.

You and I the CCW guys and gals are not trained in this kind of situation. Leave it to the people who do train to take care of this.

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Only if you are this close to the shooter.

[​IMG]

Picture is only a graphical representation to support above posted opinion, that is all. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  15. FatPat

FatPat New Member

Apparently, that is exactly what the majority would do.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Like I said before I am not here to protect other people. I am here to protect my family. So it is not my responsibility to protect someone else in a situation like that. My duty is to get my wife and kids to safety. If you want to tag along that is fine.

If others die that is not my problem. Sorry, if you think I am bad person.

Here is a situation for you.

You have an active shooting in a crowded outdoor area and he starts shooting. You being a SUPER CCW takes off towards the shooter. In the process your wife gets shot and now your daughter is all alone then someone sees that she is all alone and grabs her and disappears into the crowd.

So because you want to be a hero you didn't get your family to safety so your wife got shot and someone has kidnapped your daughter. YEAH FOR YOU.

If your #1 priority is not getting your family to safety YOU ARE WRONG. Plus how can getting your family to safety not be your #1 priority.

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

THIS. I don't see a scenario where I can protect my family AND engage the bad guy at the same time. I'm getting my family out of there, to cover, ASAP. No doubt I"ll be drawn and ready if he comes our way though.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Excellent advice/plan! :cool:

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

i didnt mean that LE would sit around and wait. i meant the response time is measured in minutes the goblin will be pretty much done with his/her initial plan by the time that the law shows up. once law enforcement arrives or is already present i would personally leave it up to them. but i am damn sure not gonna wait for the folks in blue to get there.

im former law enforcement, my philosophy of protecting my loved ones is to engage the enemy as quickly violently and accurately as i am able in order to ensure the threat to life is stopped.

i was trained in the army that if your ambushed the best tactic pass fail is to charge the enemy. i dont see how that philosophy changes when dealing with a goblin ambush. the typical spree shooter is not expecting people to fight back, thats why the liberal hero laughner did relatively little damage given the amount of ammunition and firepower he had. if citizens had not of attacked him far far far more people would have been killed or wounded had he been allowed free reign to expend his ammunition.

if i could carry a m16 around on my shoulder everyday, everywhere i go i would.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  20. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

There is a big difference between what personal actions are deployed by a CCW individual in a open public place like a park or outdoor gathering, where retreat is possible and more likely, than being held at gunpoint or hostage/shooting/robbery in an indoor enclosed facility, like a restaurant, store or bank. Two different scenarios, different choices, different tactics.

And I was Army trained as well. ;) :)