Active duty military wanting to purchase AR in Connecticut

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 05RavenRider, Oct 30, 2012.

1. 05RavenRider

05RavenRider New Member

I'm stationed in Groton, CT and not sure of the laws and regulations here. I wanted to buy a lower from BCM but they won't ship to Connecticut. What are my options?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well if you're going to build, you have to know your local/state laws. If it's difficult then buying a complete AR off the shelf locally should keep you legal.

Hopefully someone will come along soon who knows CT law but don't trust what anyone here says, YOU have to be certain of your local laws if you build. What kind of AR do you want, M4 clone? And what's your budget? If you're going under $800 then the S&W M&P-15 Sport or maybe a PSA would be the way to go. I guess BCM also won't ship uppers to CT? I have a BCM upper on a lower I built up from a stripped receiver and it's a fine rifle. Also have PSA and Daniel Defense uppers and can say PSA is excellent. I think you'd be very happy if you can find a CT compliant model. I'd look at 16" LW midlength uppers over M4.

And thank you for your service! Also I hope you and yours got through Sandy all right!

3. 05RavenRider

05RavenRider New Member

Thanks for the response. My family and I faired well through Sandy. I'm looking to spend top a decent amount and looking for mil-spec. I've heard great things about BCM so I was looking in that direction. I read an article today that was a little dated but states that CT does not allow collapsible stock, flash hider, threaded barrel, or bayonet lug. That really puts a damper on the look of the rifle. Any idea if I can order the lower I want and have it shipped to a buddy's local dealer then have him ship it to me?

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm not in CT, but the lower is not a "firearm" to the BATF, so you could try the shipping swap, BUT i would wait for some local input first. You might be OK federally but end up screwed locally.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, 'Gello, but a complete lower IS a firearm. It is not a rifle, it is an "other"- but is IS a firearm. A less than 90% completed is not.

You cannot have a buddy buy, and ship to a dealer in your duty state if the state will not permit possession. The dealer cannot transfer it to you.

And your buddy cannot ship it directly to you- that is a transfer across a state line by a non-dealer. Get caught doing that and your service career just ended, since you will be a convicted felon in confinement. Federal law. Bad ju-ju. Get caught in possession, two years in STATE prison.

Here is a link to the CT law. It APPEARS you CAN gave an AR, so long as it does NOT have two or more of the evil features. May not be what you want to hear, but would suggest waiting- eventually you will PCS to somewhere else.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. orangello

orangello New Member

My bad! I confused the upper & lower.

7. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

C3- a stripped lower is less than 90% completed right? If that's not considered a firearm why is an FFL required for transfer?

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

check out stag.. they have reasonable prices and are compliant to all the ban states(NY,CT,MA,CA). stag rifles are of great quality and the customr service and warrenty are top notch. if your set on buildign one, stop at the LGS. look to see if they have stripped lowers and maybe ask them how yo could transfer one. if they have none you like.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

there are some stripped lowers that are only 80% machined and require final touches. i believe he was refering to these. the completely finished, stripped lower is the actual firearm and thus requires the FFL transfer.

10. ZeusEcho

Oh got it, I just saw some of them on the Quentin website yesterday. Thanks

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jfuller nailed it. If the lower still requires machining, it is not yet a firearm. It is merely a chunk of aluminum. However, when it is machined, and ready to have sear, springs, hammer, trigger, etc installed, it is now a firearm.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

BCM would be a great choice for milspec but I guess they don't ship uppers to CT either?

As far as the upper, the bayonet lug can be filed off so no big deal. I wonder if the flash hider can be pinned and welded permanently on a threaded barrel as other states allow? If all that would be legal, then you could get a BCM upper sent to a friend, altered there, then he could ship to you, since it's NOT the "firearm".

You'd have to come up with a CT legal lower, locally would be best as they'd know what's legal. (I'm assuming CT legal is the same as federal legal other than the stock since nothing else you mentioned applied to the lower.) As far as a collapsible stock, maybe you could get the stock of your choice, set it to the proper length then permanently pin it? (Just a thought and I don't know if that's CT legal.)

Magazines are 10 rounds? Or 15 like NJ?

Anyway, a BCM upper on a quality milspec lower of another brand can be just as reliable as BCM on BCM. A shame you have to go through all this because of a stupid state law.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  13. ZeusEcho

You should check the laws carefully because I thought it states that you can't have any two of the items you mentioned meaning you can have one of them. Quentin made some good suggestions and I was going to say almost the same thing. If you pin a muzzle break (not a flash hider), that should take care of the threaded barrel and flash hider. If your upper comes with an FSB with bayonet lug, either chop it off or get a lo-pro gas block. That should allow you to use a collapsable stock if you want. I may be wrong but check the laws to see if that may be an option for you.

Sorry you have to deal with so many state bull**** laws!

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

There was a gun shop out near Four Corners when I was stationed there. Kind of an expensive and depressing place to a gun fan, but the owner knows the laws pretty well.

Pretty sure stripped bushmaster lowers were allowed. Then you can build your AR to CT specs. No collapsible stock. No flash hider. No bayonet lug. Permanently attached muzzle breaks are allowed as long as they don't have flash suppressing properties.

Them talk to your Detailer as soon as you get in your window about transferring to VA, GA, or WA,where there are subs and no active AWB restrictions on your AR. Then you can have fun restoring it.

You also may be restricted to pre- ban mags as well but I'm not sure anymore. I've tried to wipe away as much if my Groton memory as I can.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Oh, and. Welcome aboard.

16. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

Reading this thread has me wondering... what states are the restrictions the least? Is there a list somewhere - I know the specific laws in each state may change a bit so it could be difficult to keep up on all the changes nationwide. Just wondering. I am in Tenn. and my plan is to start building one this coming springtime...once the cashflow improves...

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Last I heard Tenn doesn't add restrictions over federal law. But again it's up to you to check.

Earlier I said pin/weld a flash hider but meant CT legal muzzle device as ZeusEcho and SSGN_Doc said...

18. astroman

Quentin - thx for reply - I figured as much - just was thinking about what states have the most freedom for us 2A folks. Not sure how long I will reside in TN as there are other places I'd like to spend some time in as well - mostly out West (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, etc). I like the wide open spaces...and LESS people around.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well you should be in good shape out west except for the blue states on the coast, CA especially. Don't forget municipal laws though.

The ban states generally are CA, NY, NJ, CT, MA and IL (Cook County).
    And maybe Delaware and Maryland?
    Hopefully no more.

20. astroman

yeah, not interested in any of the NE states, except maybe Maine or NH...I grew up in MA. And as far as the Left Coast...no thanks!!